Icefever

Bacon video.

The bacon goes back in the fridge to dry once you've towel dried....I go for 3 maybe 4 days. Then vac-pac and freeze...just done the 3rd part today ready for youtube.

Ice.

• Like 1

@Icefeveris not keen on his bacon smoked - so once it has been rinsed and dried, that is the time to smoke - 8-24 hours depending on the smokiness you prefer. After that vac pack and leave for 4-5 days in the fridge before freezing.

Ice prefers his bacon green (unsmoked) but others prefer smoked. Both are good - it just depends on you personal preference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wade said:

@Icefeveris not keen on his bacon smoked - so once it has been rinsed and dried, that is the time to smoke - 8-24 hours depending on the smokiness you prefer. After that vac pack and leave for 4-5 days in the fridge before freezing.

Ice prefers his bacon green (unsmoked) but others prefer smoked. Both are good - it just depends on you personal preference.

I'm a green man myself. I find smoking can easily overpower the delicate bacon flavours for my preference. Everything else though, bring on the smooke !

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

Nice conclusion, or will there be another episode? The defrost & carve, then the whole debate on the best way to cook bacon. Lol.

I like to double seal when I use the vac rolls too. For some reason unless you do they always leak I find, unlike the bags which is strange.

Do you hand carve the slices or use a machine? I have a Princess slicer thing but think it might be a bit unrefined for slicing dry cure bacon. Perhaps my 11" Granton carver might be a better option?

Cheers n Gone NIck

19 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

Nice conclusion, or will there be another episode? The defrost & carve, then the whole debate on the best way to cook bacon. Lol.

🤣 No  #3 is the end of this trilogy 

Do you hand carve the slices or use a machine?

Both Skagg...for a couple of rathers a very sharpe knife...for bigger lots I have a slicer, which can be a PITA at times.

Streaky Bacon underway. Day 2 of 14

Your streaky may be ok after 10 days as it's a small joint....not thick like loin.

Ice.

• Like 1

Well the dry cure Back is done & packed. Just cold smoking the other joint with Maple though it's proving a PITA as the dust keeps going out, dunno why, it's dry I always struggle with cold smoking for some reason. Anyhow, please with the results so far, next step is to try it! 

Thanks again to @Icefever & @Wade for the advice & encouragement

IMG_20200628_143915.thumb.jpg.ea2d84babbcbdfcf2f66b4dc37e8719e.jpg

• Like 2

Great job done Skagg...cold smoking can be a Pita...my last smoke I had to relight the dust a 2nd time...

Ice.

I wish I had only had to light it again twice!

It seems to be going steady now though. blimmin stuff

Cheers n Gone Nick

@Skagg2000  You say the dust was dry....have you tried putting some dust in a small glass bowl and into the microwave for a minute or so??? you'll be surprised how much vapour comes out of it..

Ice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

@Skagg2000  You say the dust was dry....have you tried putting some dust in a small glass bowl and into the microwave for a minute or so??? you'll be surprised how much vapour comes out of it..

Ice.

Not tried that Ice. perhaps that's my issue. I keep it in the shed in a zip bag with the other smoking wood.

Daft question, how do you tell the moisture is coming out when you microwave it?

Cheers n Gone Nick

You'll see steam coming off it if it's damp...trust me...you may have to cook it 2 or 3 times 👍

Ice.

A little recipe/creation fave of mine, split a sausage length ways ,don't cut all the way 

through. Spread Mustard in the sausage and fill with cheese.Wrap with some of your

lovely Bacon 🐷 and secure with a cocktail stick. Then oven or Grill.:hungry-2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

@Gaza the Instructor   shiver me timbers...I like the sound of that...one for the "to do " list..👍

Ice.

Thought of you the other day, when I came across this recipe for a Bacon Sausage using your meat grinder. Bet using some homemade bacon would go well in this?

Thanks @sotv mate....looks great...that is a defo on the to do list.....where my grinder....watch this space.

Ice.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:19 AM, Gaza the Instructor said:

That looks fantastic, brill effort. I have one hand on the brown sauce bottle ready.

now there is the great debate, brown or red...........

cheers n gone Nick

6 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

now there is the great debate, brown or red...........

Brown on bacon...red on sausages & chips....that's the law in this house...😆

Ice.