Sweet & Sticky Rib Sauce

sotv

I am not a big fan of spice and heat, and found this sauce recipe works well with ribs if you like them sweet and sticky.

I add this to racks of ribs when they are cooked and put it on the grill rack over slightly cooled down charcoal (so it doesn't flare up) to caramalise the sauce slightly on the ribs before serving. Works well on chicken pieces as well Can also be added earlier if you use the foiling method when cooking your ribs also. But I find it works best over the charcoal.

250ml Cola
250ml Tomato Ketchup
4 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar (I use 2 spoons each of Light Brown Cane Sugar and Molasses Sugar)
4 tablespoons of Clear Honey
2 Tablespoons of White Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper To Taste

Add all the ingredients to a saucepan bring to the boil and then turn the heat down really low and reduce it so it becomes the consistency of a thick sauce, takes about 45 minutes and reduces by a half of the original amount at least. Brush it over both sides your ribs or chicken once they are cooked. Enough to cover at least 3 full racks of ribs.

Can add whisky, teriyaki etc if you like a little kick or tang to it as well.

A good quick recipe that will please a lot of people :5980a344e6cd3_ThumbsUp:.

I agree with Steve though that a little pepper or mild chilli would give it a little more depth. It does not need to be hot/strong spice but just enough that people would expect from a BBQ sauce.

On a side note - a little thing that frustrates me when I eat restaurant BBQ... Neither ribs nor pulled pork should need a sauce - though both usually have it added before serving. I think this is done to hide the fact that there is a lack of flavour of the meat. Earlier this year I drove down the Mississippi from Chicago to New Orleans eating in a number of places that were recommended as being best for BBQ. So many were disappointing in that the only thing that you could taste was BBQ sauce. The best one by far was Abe's Bar-B-Q in Clarksdale where the meat actually had flavour and the sauce was served separately.
I have no problem with customers adding BBQ sauce to the meat before they eat it but it should be their choice to do so and not be used by the restaurant as a flavour crutch.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I know this post was a long while ago but this is a sauce I like and use on a regular basis, I do tend to like it spicy, but obviously its just a case of adjusting.

This sauce is not for cooking with, it is used only as a condiment to mainly pulled pork or beef. If you don't care for heat then adjust to suit the ones in red.

3 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil - 1/2 Large Red Onion (finely diced) - 3 cloves of garlic (minced) - 1/2 a cup of tinned pineapple (finely diced) - 1/2 cup Banana Ketchup

1/2 cup of tomato ketchup - 1/2 cup of Apple Cider vinegar - 3 tablespoons of Muscovado sugar - 1 tablespoon English Mustard - Fresh Ground Black Pepper (as much or as little as you want) - 2 tablespoon of Black Treacle - 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce - 2  tablespoons lemon juice - 1 tablespoon of soy sauce - 1 cup of water

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for few minutes until soft. Add the remaining ingredients, then continue to cook for 15 more minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust individual ingredients to create a nice balance between the flavor elements.

Allow to cool a bit. If a finer texture is desired, puree in a blender, then strain & store. Otherwise, after cool, store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Even the wife likes this one on her pulled pork! High praise indeed I might add...?

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Wonder if thete is recipe to make myself. Must be.

I make mine spicy because thats the way I roll but here is a very basic recipe. I've omitted the Sriracha sauce in case nobody likes the heat. 

Cut up and stir in bananas, to vinegar, honey, rum, tomato paste, soy sauce, and salt; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer ketchup to a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Enjoy or not as the fancy takes you..

• Like 2