Callow Smoker - Low cost bullet smoker

Wade

2 minutes ago, valve90210 said:

I'd just drop Callow an email, the guy there that runs it (Scott) is a really good guy and Im sure he'd be happy to sort you out an extra grills. 

Yes, Scott is very helpful. He is on holiday this week but I am sure that someone else there will be able to help. Mention that the forum suggested getting in contact. If you don't get any responce then let me know.

info@gardengiftshop.co.uk

Hi Wade,

Yup, I do that, and never had a problem with the Weber.  I think it’s just a combination of a limited vertical airflow because of the positions of the vents, together with slightly damp night air.  Last night I turned the charcoal basket over and it worked fine, though I would still prefer to have the grate to prevent the CSG sliding off if I have to move the smoker.

Valve90210 - I’ve sent them an email, and will wait to see what they come back with.

Thanks for your replies

Peter

After a bit of correspondence with Debbie of Callow (I bought through Amazon, not directly with them) I received this morning a complete set of grills FOC!  To say I’m impressed is an understatement!  This company deserves all the plaudits it can get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The shipment is due into the UK about now. I have asked Scott for an update.

The new version is actually going to be marketed under the "Cook4all" brand so you will not see it as "Callow". They have added additional holes in the fire basket and have increased the number of vents to 4. The testing at the factory has shown a big increase in performance.

The units are being supplied with the new, more accurate thermometer however the handle has remained the same.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had some difficulty getting the temperature up on this. I bought it primarily as a cold smoker but decided to do some chicken wings the other night.

with a full chimney of charcoal and a water pan half filled with boiling water I wasn’t able to get the temperature past 85c on my probe thermometer, with all vents open, meaning I couldn’t get my food up to temperature. 

The charcoal doesn’t seem to want to stay lit even with the vents open. I ordered some gasket tape from amazon to seal the gap around the door - but this seems to have made the problem worse, so I am guessing it’s a problem with air flow. 

I am able to get my grill temperature roaring on my Weber kettle, even at this time of year so I don’t think this has anything to do with ambient temperature. 

Is it worth modifying the smoker in anyway or sending back as not fit for purpose? 

I've been using one of these for the best part of a year now and never had a problem getting it up to temperature.

@Wade is the man to ask really as he's been using his for longer and has done extensive testing on it with all kinds of different variables tested.

My initial questions would be

1) what fuel are you using?
2) how well lit is the charcoal when you tip it out of the chimney?
3) When you say probe thermometer, do you mean a separate one or the one built into the lid (which are known to be some what inaccurate!) ?

I use the minion method with mine and have no problem at all getting to the 110c mark...

Hiya - I’m using restaurant lump, blue bag stuff from CPL I always use. I usually burn it for between 35-45 minutes in a weber chimney as it can take ages for that charcoal to light. Yes a separate probe thermometer.

None of these I usually have any issue with when burning in my offset or my weber kettle which is why I’m a bit puzzled! On further testing the temperature drops very rapidly between the two grill layers. I’m measuring between 85 and 90c just above the water pan and then 65-73 at the top grill position. None of this holds consistently with a slow rise to temperature and then almost immediately dropping off with a loss of 1 degree every 2 minutes or so.

Hmmm, that's very odd indeed, with mine when I use the minion method it slowly climbs in temperature up to the 110c mark or thereabouts (measured at the top grill with a separate probe thermometer) and stays there with out any problems at all. Will have to see what wade thinks when he replies, I know he's impressed with the Callow and even uses it to demonstrate how you can get good results with a low cost entry level smoker.

Hi Dan

It is known that there are some air flow challenges around the fire box however this does not usually cause as big an affect on the temperature as you have been experiencing. The latest version of the unit (which is due for shipment imminently) has had a few modifications made to overcome this problem and I am awaiting delivery of a test unit to see if it has.

A couple of suggestions to try

• Leave the water out of the water bowl. This will help the unit to reach the higher temperatures
  • Try using your Heat Beads as these burn hotter than the lump charcoal
  • Make sure the coals are fully alight in the chimney before you add them to the fore basket

If these all fail then contact Callow directly. They have great customer services and will be keen to help resolve this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a callow smoker for Christmas and built it yesterday, looking forward to getting some use in soon but off on holiday for a week tomorrow.

Anyway this thread caught my attention, especially about the new version and the improvements. Mine came in a cook4all branded box, but it doesn't seem to have the improvements listed on the gardengiftshop website as:

This improved model has 4 adjustable vents in the base of the unit and 2 in the lid for improved airflow and temperature control. The charcoal bowl is now fully ventilated for maintaining consistent burning of the charcoal. The temperature gauge in the lid of the smoker has been replaced with a new high-quality gauge for more accurate temperature readings.

So that's a bit confusing if they are saying the new ones are branded as Cook4all, but mine came branded as that as certainly doesn't have the improvements. Mine was purchased sometime in early December from Amazon. Got the £69 price, and confident I can make some mods to help it, as well as not relying on the stock thermometer, so not too fussed really, just curious.

I got a callow smoker for Christmas and built it yesterday, looking forward to getting some use in soon but off on holiday for a week tomorrow.

Anyway this thread caught my attention, especially about the new version and the improvements. Mine came in a cook4all branded box, but it doesn't seem to have the improvements listed on the gardengiftshop website as:

This improved model has 4 adjustable vents in the base of the unit and 2 in the lid for improved airflow and temperature control. The charcoal bowl is now fully ventilated for maintaining consistent burning of the charcoal. The temperature gauge in the lid of the smoker has been replaced with a new high-quality gauge for more accurate temperature readings.

So that's a bit confusing if they are saying the new ones are branded as Cook4all, but mine came branded as that as certainly doesn't have the improvements. Mine was purchased sometime in early December from Amazon. Got the £69 price, and confident I can make some mods to help it, as well as not relying on the stock thermometer, so not too fussed really, just curious.

• Like 1

I have been temperature testing the new Cook4All smoker over the last few days. Can you post up a photo of the lid and also the side and I will be able to tell you if it is the old or the new. If it has sliding vents on the sides near the door then it is the new version. One thing I noticed very quickly is that the assembly instructions that come in the box are for the old Callow unit and so there are some steps missing.

Have you already assembled it? If not then whilst I was assembling the unit I put together some updated photo instructions. They still need proof reading and tweaking but I have posted up a draft for you that might help.

Cook4All assembly instructions.pdf

Vents on side are only on the new model.

5a5e2050b93ce_9Sideventinplace.thumb.jpg.60e58f778d03c6e2a8649755d03d63ba.jpg

Let me know how you get on. :5980a344e6cd3_ThumbsUp:

Wade

• Like 1

Those side vents certainly do look interesting. Though they are above the coals in that position by the looks of it, so I wonder how that will work? I definitely don't have that so yes I'm sure I have the old version, which tallies with what Valve saw on gumtree.

Going to find myself wishing away my holiday so I can come back and get cooking. Will be interested to see if I have any of the temp issues some other people have had given it's pretty cold here at the moment. But it sounds like anyone who has made some holes in the side of the charcoal bowl has been able to achieve 110C without issue.

Edited by dl8860