Callow Smoker - Low cost bullet smoker

Wade

7 hours ago, Artroy said:

Well guys I now have my callow and I’m impressed, I’m still having issues getting in up to temp I’m currently using a mix of lump wood and brickettes, as they were on offer at my local international shop. Would I be better off using just one or the other ? I have also fitted some stove Rope this weekend and it’s helping a bit, hoping for a bit of advice on this one! Also where do people get there charcoal once the cold weather hits? 

Hi Roy - Firstly I need to check which version of the Callow smoker you have as advice will vary slightly according to the model. Does it have sliding vents in the main body of the unit and a pressed metal charcoal tray or does it have a charcoal tray with handles and a wire bottom?

Generally it is best to use good quality briquettes in a Minion arrangement as the heat source with wood chunks or pellets on the top for smoke flavour. If you let me know which model you have I will explain further.

I have an even cheaper version of a bullet smoker and I do mean cheap! It was my very first try at the art of smoking and it was the very first unit I ever smoked a full rack of ribs on. It works brilliantly every single time I use it, it has never failed to turn out well cooked/smoked food! Don't get too close to it when in use because the metal is a little thicker than a coke can! Will it last more than two or three seasons? I would very much doubt it, but then, at a cost of just £28 incl p&p  would it really matter? The only mod needed was to drill two holes and fit two grommets for probes! I decided not to bother and just use a file to create a small channel for the leads. Its cheap as chips but it went everywhere with us this summer as it fits inside itself for transporting. It really is a remarkable little thing. Its sold under the brand name Billy Oh?

3in1_charcoal_patio_smoker_grill_bbq_l01.jpg

3in1_charcoal_patio_smoker_grill_bbq_l05.jpg

Edited by Brinkman

8 hours ago, Brinkman said:

I have an even cheaper version of a bullet smoker and I do mean cheap! It was my very first try at the art of smoking and it was the very first unit I ever smoked a full rack of ribs on. It works brilliantly every single time I use it, it has never failed to turn out well cooked/smoked food! Don't get too close to it when in use because the metal is a little thicker than a coke can! Will it last more than two or three seasons? I would very much doubt it, but then, at a cost of just £28 incl p&p  would it really matter? The only mod needed was to drill two holes and fit two grommets for probes! I decided not to bother and just use a file to create a small channel for the leads. Its cheap as chips but it went everywhere with us this summer as it fits inside itself for transporting. It really is a remarkable little thing. Its sold under the brand name Billy Oh?

This cheap smoker (along with a number of other Brinkmann clones) was the inspiration for Callow developing the current Callow/Cook4All smoker. Scott at Callow used to sell these but was disappointed that it did not work well out of the box and that it required several mods in order to turn it into a semi-usable smoker. I have helped a number of customers to more effectively use them at home, however their design is quite limiting for most people.

The biggest problem is their temperature management. Without an effective (or any) adjustable bottom air vent, combined with a poor air flow through the charcoal, it is difficult to set and maintain any desired cooking temperature without using a lot of tin foil, raising the charcoal in the fire bowl and much trial and error. Whilst they are not particularly good for low-and-slow cooking they are fine for smoke roasting (chickens and meat joints etc.) and they make a very passable cold smoker too.

Unfortunately, I think that this type of unit has been responsible for a lot of people who wanted to try their hand at American style BBQ becoming frustrated and giving up before they could really give it a chance.

3 hours ago, Wade said:

This cheap smoker (along with a number of other Brinkmann clones) was the inspiration for Callow developing the current Callow/Cook4All smoker. Scott at Callow used to sell these but was disappointed that it did not work well out of the box and that it required several mods in order to turn it into a semi-usable smoker. I have helped a number of customers to more effectively use them at home, however their design is quite limiting for most people.

The biggest problem is their temperature management. Without an effective (or any) adjustable bottom air vent, combined with a poor air flow through the charcoal, it is difficult to set and maintain any desired cooking temperature without using a lot of tin foil, raising the charcoal in the fire bowl and much trial and error. Whilst they are not particularly good for low-and-slow cooking they are fine for smoke roasting (chickens and meat joints etc.) and they make a very passable cold smoker too.

Unfortunately, I think that this type of unit has been responsible for a lot of people who wanted to try their hand at American style BBQ becoming frustrated and giving up before they could really give it a chance.

Hear you but had no issues with the Billy Oh, it is what it is and worse case scenario would be to use the bottom section as a 'fire pit' Which we do on a fairly regular basis.? 

• 4 weeks later...

I have not had a problem with warping but check that you have the lid seated properly onto the body all the way round. If you don't have the groove of the lid seated over the edge of the body all of the way round then the clips will not close. Also check that the clips are lined up properly. If you still cannot close the clips and you think that it has warped then give Callow a call as they very helpful and pride themselves on their customer service.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

I have not had a problem with warping but check that you have the lid seated properly onto the body all the way round. If you don't have the groove of the lid seated over the edge of the body all of the way round then the clips will not close. Also check that the clips are lined up properly. If you still cannot close the clips and you think that it has warped then give Callow a call as they very helpful and pride themselves on their customer service.

Yes it was all seated correctly. The clips used to line up but don’t anymore. One is about half width out. 

12 minutes ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Yes it was all seated correctly. The clips used to line up but don’t anymore. One is about half width out. 

I had a long smoke planned for pulled pork today. Will have another check of it now it’s cold but I need it to handle the heat of long smokes. I will likely be cooking on it twice a week. 

It should be fine - I have used mine for many back-to-back long smokes.

If the lid is properly seated but you just cannot get the clip to close then that will be fine for your pulled pork today. The clip does not really do much more than stopping the lid from accidentally being knocked off

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wade said:

It should be fine - I have used mine for many back-to-back long smokes.

If the lid is properly seated but you just cannot get the clip to close then that will be fine for your pulled pork today. The clip does not really do much more than stopping the lid from accidentally being knocked off

It’s not as bad now cold but the clip still won’t close.

When you have finished your smoke today I would disassemble (unbolt) the clips and then reassemble them. If they still do not fit then contact Callow by phone tomorrow saying that you are a WoodSmoke Forum member and they should quickly sort it out for you.

10 minutes ago, Wade said:

When you have finished your smoke today I would disassemble (unbolt) the clips and then reassemble them. If they still do not fit then contact Callow by phone tomorrow saying that you are a WoodSmoke Forum member and they should quickly sort it out for you.

I’ve frozen the pulled pork and we’re sous vide dinner ?

ive tried reseating but the catch itself has bent and so the clip won’t shut. Still of centre too. I can wiggle the latch over but it won’t clip down

will email them tomorrow. Thank you!

015C03A9-616F-4F1F-9310-E2641FACD0B1.jpeg

DF498500-0644-43C2-8DE0-61BBC1510DFF.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Pulled this out in the last couple of weeks - only got two dry runs last year with one thing and another. Smoked some Loin Ribs with Sainsburys briquettes - tasty, but very poor temp control. 

Got hold of some Weber Briquettes, sealed up the door with some stove rope and did a 3lb pork shoulder with much more success. Kept it between 105-115c for 9 hours with a bit of fiddling. Had a stall for a full 4 hours at 70c internal temp so will probably foil next time.

@Wade I saw somewhere you recommended lock washers on the lower vents. What sort? Worth sealing gaps between the sections too?

No don't bother sealing the gaps between the sections - unless you can see light through them. Which version of the Callow do you have? Does it have the fire basket with the wire bottom or with the punched holes?

The washers you should be looking for are these. Take a bolt with you to check the size. Once in place and you get the desired tension on the vent then a second nut to lock it in place also helps too

Spring Washer

Diall M8 Steel Spring washer, Pack of 10

8 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Tried using a rib rack?

After reading about in (From Steve I think) I bought a couple of these for use in my callow

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/kitchen-organisers-shelves/variera-pot-lid-organiser-stainless-steel-art-70154800/

IKEA VARIERA pot lid organiser You can customise the length based on your storage needs.

I cur the last two upright pillars off and it makes a perfect rob rack for the Callow. You can then get 2 racks of ribs in smoking at the same time.