Icefever

Black Bacon.

I've got to take my last lot of bacon out from the curing bags this morning, rinse and let it dry until the weekend that's when I'm going to cold smoke maybe two of the three slabs.

For my next batch, I'm having a go at Suffolk Black bacon, this has intrigued me for a few years now, never had it, so not sure what to expect?.

Found this recipe below so we're off to town later so I'm going to get a small piece of belly pork and give it a try.

1 kg Pork belly
30g Celery Salt
3g (1 1/2 tsp) black peppercorns
5g (2 tsp) fennel seed
3g (1 tsp) coriander seed
3.5g (1/2tsp) Prague powder #1
2tbsp black treacle
150ml dark beer. Porter, Stout, Mild or something similar...( I'm going to use Guinness )

Roll your fennel seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns, just crush them up enough you don’t want to grind them too fine.

Take 2 tbsp of black treacle and smear it over the meat,  place in a bag and cover the pork with the spices, rub all over. (not sure how to attack this, the belly is going to be covered with treacle, getting that into a vac bag is going to be crazy. Do like I do now place belly in bag add treacle and toss the bag about??  then throw in the spices? watch this space)

Take your beer and pour it into the bag.

Then normal curing time, don't think I'll go for 14 days like with the loin I do.....more like a week?

Ice.

• Like 2

Strange things happen at times,  makes one think.   🤔   I posted this thread around 0600 this morning, I'm on a facebook page for bacon curing and I just popped in and found this....https://www.facebook.com/groups/546778265661621/?fref=nf

Richard Anderson is doing almost the same recipe...posted 33 mins ago....even using Guinness.  I hope he lets me know how it goes on?? 😎

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

5 hours ago, Icefever said:

I've got to take my last lot of bacon out from the curing bags this morning, rinse and let it dry until the weekend that's when I'm going to cold smoke maybe two of the three slabs.

For my next batch, I'm having a go at Suffolk Black bacon, this has intrigued me for a few years now, never had it, so not sure what to expect?.

Found this recipe below so we're off to town later so I'm going to get a small piece of belly pork and give it a try.

1 kg Pork belly
30g Celery Salt
3g (1 1/2 tsp) black peppercorns
5g (2 tsp) fennel seed
3g (1 tsp) coriander seed
3.5g (1/2tsp) Prague powder #1
2tbsp black treacle
150ml dark beer. Porter, Stout, Mild or something similar...( I'm going to use Guinness )

Roll your fennel seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns, just crush them up enough you don’t want to grind them too fine.

Take 2 tbsp of black treacle and smear it over the meat,  place in a bag and cover the pork with the spices, rub all over. (not sure how to attack this, the belly is going to be covered with treacle, getting that into a vac bag is going to be crazy. Do like I do now place belly in bag add treacle and toss the bag about??  then throw in the spices? watch this space)

Take your beer and pour it into the bag.

Then normal curing time, don't think I'll go for 14 days like with the loin I do.....more like a week?

Ice.

Sounds fantastic

• Like 1