Weber Smokefire Purchase

Simon.W

Yeah we are all going to be experts on this grill before it arrives! 

@sotv  that bloke has a new video also.

EDIT:  I've just noticed when watching it that he didn't realise that the shutdown process retracts the pellets back towards the hopper.  I knew that and I don't even have it yet 😅

Edited by Simon.W

Think I am just going to wait for the Amazing Ribs test and review as the guy who does those seems the most qualified person to comment on it and not be subject to user errors. If it is a bad one, then I think I will really have to worry, but fingers crossed it is a positive one.

SmokeFire’s 200-600° temperature range gives it the versatility to sear, smoke, bake, and everything in between. It’s the only grill you need to sear perfectly juicy steaks, smoke low-and-slow BBQ ribs, pizza, dessert, burgers, or whatever you have a taste for.

Edited by Smokin Monkey
Admin edit to remove external links

Ok so the long story short is that I ended up cancelling my order for the EX6.  Waking up each morning to all the negative buzz had really taken the shine off the purchase and it wasn't doing anything to improve my mood.  I ended up being invited to a weber-held event at wowbbq yesterday (cue a 6 hour return journey) to see this bit if kit in action and i'll add some bullet points bellow of the key important info:

- UK/EU launch has been delayed by a few weeks, mainly so we will have access to a newer version of the firmware straight away.  Stockists should see them by 3rd week of March.

- UK/UE models will come shipped with an insert for the hopper which increases the steepness.  The units at the event did not have this, but no pellet issues were observed during the event and they Weber guys had only noticed the issue with non-webber pellets.  The weber pellets at the event had an incredibly smooth exterier finish.

- They absolutely recommend that you use drip pans on top of the flavouriser bars when cooking fatty cuts of meat for an extended period.  As per the manual.

- Most other issues encountered are due to firmware which is currently being worked on.  They had a pre-prducution EX6 on the the very latest software version and an american spec pre-prducution EX4 running a slightly older version - the EX6 performed flawlessly after it was updated and the EX4 could only reach about 525 degrees, but still smashed out some of the best steaks that i've ever eaten.  

I spent about 5 hours there yesterday, speaking with all the guys from Weber and inspecting every inch of the grills.  I personally felt confident in re-placing an order by the end of the night.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, smokes said:

hello, I was just wondering how people are finding the ex4/6 and if they have experienced any issues with them?

Hi Smokes welcome to the forum.

Can only speak for myself, but had my EX4 since release and absolutely love it. Came from a charcoal bullet smoker to this (first ever pellet grill) It has allowed me to cook so many different types of meals (not just meats) on it, than I have been able to do on my previous smoker and to a better finished standard. Due to Grill size and ease of getting to a set temperature and maintaing it for the whole cook or changing between it, if necessary .  200-600F in 15-20 minutes from cold.

There were a few issues at the start with getting temps and maintaining when you opened the lid, but it has become much more stable now with the latest firmware updates from Weber and I personally have a lot more confidence working with the  the lower temps for doing lo&slo now 

All the bad reports at the start, never experienced one of them myself, I clean it out and wash scrub the bars and grills every 20-25 hours of cooking or 2 weeks though, but others may do it more often/less than that. I have used drip pans but mainly for high fat cooking like whole chicken/duck but if doing steak at 600F you expect and want  hot fat to drop on the flavoriser bars and flare up (It is not a fire or flame out) , that's what it is designed to do and how you get that flame kiss on your meat.

The only problems I have is there is a hotspot to the right of the grill, but I know about it and work around it and the general cost of pellets (there isn't much difference in branded pellets anyway) but have chose to stick with the Weber Brand so far anyway, due to people reporting problems with other brands with it. The thing guzzles pellets though and it is significantly more expensive to run this pellet grill than a charcoal grill fuel wise.

The smoke flavour is there but not at the levels of charcoal, but it suits both of us very well in our household and we prefer the milder flavour (sometimes you want to taste the meat as well not just smoke), . But it is something you definitely want to take into consideration if you like a stronger smoke flavour with your food? you do get a fabulous smoke ring with the food still though.

If I was in the market now for one and see all the negativity about it then I would have to think long and hard about buying one (a lot of that negativity comes from people who don't own one but either troll or have other reasons to diss it) , but actually owning it and using it, I would happily recommend anyone to purchase it. I love using mine. Weber are clearly going to support this product and the developments planned for the software/app to come seem very positive as well and this machine like all Weber's feels as if it is built to last

If you have any specific concerns fell free to ask, there are a few of us who own one on here and sure we can answer any further concerns you have about it, if you ask.