Weber Smokefire Purchase

Simon.W

Hey folks,

It's been a while since my initial introduction on here and I have to admit that zero grilling, smoking or anything involving fire has happened in recent months.  The last 5 months of 2019 was a terrible time which culminated in my Mum passing away on Boxing day.  Anyway, in a massive wave of frivolity (insanity?) - i've pre-ordered the Weber Smokefire EX6!  I'd be very interested to get chatting with any of you folks who have done the same so we can start making the most of them when they arrive.  I can feel the cool breeze of retail therapy washing over me already...

Cheers,

Simon

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies folks, they're greatly appreciated!

15 hours ago, sotv said:

Sorry for your loss. 

Got the EX4 coming, hopefully early March, looking forward to it

Exciting times, I'm looking forward to seeing your EX4 when it arrives.

6 minutes ago, Icefever said:

@Simon.W So sad for your loss, lost my folks many years back now, always so many questions left un-answered.

Keep us up to speed on your order and maybe do a review and photos.

Ice.

Yeah, the whole thing has been a rather long and drawn out saga which has left me feeling rather shattered to be honest.  Hopefully this purchase and subsequent enjoyment from it will serve as a good way to regain some positivity.  I'll be taking plenty of photos and I'll document the first cook - 15 hour bone-in pork shoulder, anyone? :)

• Like 2

Was considering the EX6 but I only cook for 2 most of the time, and as the EX4 has the exact same Auger feeder, firepot and Motor as the EX6 so seemed pointless for my own needs, having 50% more space to heat up every time I used it and having to burn more pellets to do it, for just the 2 of us. But definitely nice to have the extra space the EX6 offers, if you can use it. 

I was thinking along the same lines of either a pork shoulder or even a pork belly and a few Bavette steaks which are all forgiving for first goes at different methods of cooking on it.

Edited by sotv

Seen a few hands on reviews of the smokefires from the States in the last 24hrs and they seem very positive and very few complaints. It gets up to 600F in 22 minutes, very stable temperatures during cooking, with easy and responsive  increase/decrease of temperatures during cooks, depending on what you have on the grill at the time. little ash and grease deposits and easily collected and tidied up

Only niggles seem to be the app, which is what delayed the shipping evidently. But that can be sorted with updates in the coming months to iron out those problems and the probe wire placement isn't the best, but already knew about that.

But some of the more experienced pellet grill owners out there, compare it favourably for the price, to the top of the range pellet grills already out including a Memphis Grill owner. Still early days and the longevity of the product and more reviews is important obviously but getting excited to get it now after seeing and reading about it in the last 24hrs.

Great, I am really hoping that it comes through for you and other purchasers here,  keeping a close eye on.  I keep thinking get one but have concluded I would have to sell on my wsm  and replace with this as an upgrade. I also think how would I get that to a tailgate, quite big?

Edited by Justin

15 minutes ago, sotv said:

Seen a few hands on reviews of the smokefires from the States in the last 24hrs and they seem very positive and very few complaints. It gets up to 600F in 22 minutes, very stable temperatures during cooking, with easy and responsive  increase/decrease of temperatures during cooks, depending on what you have on the grill at the time. little ash and grease deposits and easily collected and tidied up

Only niggles seem to be the app, which is what delayed the shipping evidently. But that can be sorted with updates in the coming months to iron out those problems and the probe wire placement isn't the best, but already knew about that.

But some of the more experienced pellet grill owners out there, compare it favourably for the price, to the top of the range pellet grills already out including a Memphis Grill owner. Still early days and the longevity of the product and more reviews is important obviously but getting excited to get it now after seeing and reading about it in the last 24hrs.

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Great, I am really hoping that it comes through for you and other purchasers here,  keeping a close eye on.  I keep thinking get one but have concluded I would have to sell on my wsm  and replace with this as an upgrade. I also think how would I get that to a tailgate, quite big?

Getting quite excited now myself.  Can you provide me with a link to some of the reviews @sotv?

Keeping my ProQ for tailgates and cold smoking (maybe able to do that with the Smokefire)?  Not looked into that side yet +  if I miss the taste of charcoal cooking at times 😀

I am getting to old and lazy to battle temperature fluctuations and filling charcoal baskets. Being able to switch it on, get constant temperatures whether it is at 200F or 600F. Even if it just lo&slo or grilling for a short time or 15 hours the consistency and ability to be able to cook outside whatever the weather is doing, appeals to me and hopefully I can just relax a bit more.

Understand people enjoy that side of it though and what makes outdoor cooking fun for them, I just find it all a bit frustrating, time consuming and a little stressful at times

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Note on Wowbbq if you are thinking of buying you can get 5% discount using WOWBBQ5. this works on any purchase at the moment

On the ex4 this would save  £59.95  therefore now £1139.05

And finance over 12 months

Deposit £113.91

11 payments of £85.43

Total amount payable £1139.05

0% interest.

Edited by Justin

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

Note on Wowbbq if you are thinking of buying you can get 5% discount using WOWBBQ5. this works on any purchase at the moment

On the ex4 this would save  £59.95  therefore now £1139.05

And finance over 12 months

Deposit £113.91

11 payments of £85.43

Total amount payable £1139.05

0% interest.

I ordered a bag of each of the 3 different kind of Weber pellets available from there yesterday, as with that discount and free delivery worked out at just over £16 a bag. May switch to another pellet manufacturer over time, but thought best to try out the Weber pellets first.

Also you can get a dedicated cover for the Smokefire, if like me, it will be kept outside, although quite expensive, think mine was around the £80 mark

I purchased my EX6 through bbq world as they had it at 10% off the other day, so it came to £1304 for the smoker.  I've just jumped on to wowbbq and purchased the cover and some pellets as these weren't at discount on bbq world.

Edited by Simon.W

Found this app Bilt and downloaded it from the IOS store (Android version available from their store as well) Shows how to build the EX4 or EX6 with animated 3D and vocal instructions, for each step of the assembly. Looks much easier to use this, than it would be the paper instruction. If any help to anyone, getting them?

Edited by sotv

22 minutes ago, sotv said:

Found this app Bilt and downloaded it from the IOS store (Android version available from their store as well) Shows how to build the EX4 or EX6 with animated 3D and vocal instructions, for each step of the assembly. Looks much easier to use this, than it would be the paper instruction. If any help to anyone, getting them?

Ah yes, realy good app that.  Used it for a few things in the past.

First video on youtube of somebody assembling an EX6 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simon.W said:

I have to say that after seeing the reviews online and in the smokefire reddit, I'm starting to regret my pre-order a little bit.  I'm going to perservere with it, but I hope that my purchase doesn't turn into a pain as I could do without it.

There does seem a few issues, app and pellet hopper. But if you dig deep into the complaints the majority of them seem to be people (like me) who are inexperienced with pellet grills and rather than ask questions from experienced grillers to what their problems are on forums etc. Just want to rush out a video showing their problems, without looking for a resolution first and if they read the comments on their videos or in some cases, actually read the manual as they have installed parts incorrectly, most of these problems can be rectified.

A lot of negative comments come from people who don't seem to own one and want to stick there oar in as Weber haters or just to laugh at people who have bought one and cause upset or feel better about themselves and their version of a pellet grill, which is fine, but of no real benefit, if looking for reviews as a buyer of a Weber yourself and getting disheartened by the snide comments and I think most of those posters of those comments know it, hence the reason for doing it. 

The app will be sorted over time, hopper may need a mod or a fix if it is a feed problem, but confident Weber will sort something if it is a proven design flaw.

We have another month before out here, so hopefully if not already shipped over here, even if it means holding them back a short while to sort any problems out, I am fine with.

Couple of early videos here and here Babyback will be a good one to follow as a very experienced Youtube Griller who has purchased one with his own money and will give an honest appraisal I feel.

Poll from a small sample off a facebook group for actual owners

Weber smokefire insiders is the FB group with the poll for reference.

Current results. 59 people no issue, 6 had issue and its resolved, 4 cant wait to return, 4 best pellet grill ever.

It's a small sample size on a FB group so not sure its worth much, but certainly way different if you just listened or watched some of the videos discussion out there at the moment

Still very excited to get mine and I will follow the manual for assembly, any problems ask questions on somewhere like here or hope that Weber UK Customer Service is as good as their US counterparts seem to be if you take the time to speak to them about any issues.As with any product, the people with problems shout the loudest, the ones who are happy with it, usually just get on with it and get much enjoyment from it, so no reason to shout about it. 👍

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

I agree. Some people can not get beyond plug and play.  And weber haters know nothing about weber. My weber kit has done me proud. Just fitted a new ash catcher upgrade to my age old kettle. New lease of life. Got to be  nearly 20 years old not a jot of rust anywhere. 

Well said SOTV. I find it funny that people are Weber Haters. If I get a product from a company that wasn’t good I’ll send a complaint to the company, see how they act. If they are rude and unhelpful I never use them again, but I don’t spend my time complaining about them. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's quite difficult to determine exactly what is accurate and what isn't at this point.  I agree that Babyback seems to be a good source of reliable info on this subject.

I don't even own the grill yet and I've probably read more documentation than some of the YouTubers who've got them.  It's quite easy to get caught up in the wave of negativity, even when you're usual instincts tell you to ignore it.  As I said, I'm definitely persevering with it as I trust Weber to do the right thing.   

From what I've gathered, the UK pre-order stock won't be arriving at distributers until mid/late march so there is a solid month for certain things to be ironed out before we get our hands on them.

Edited by Simon.W

Babyback put another video last night, where he experienced a grease fire on a lo & slo pork butt cook, which is a bit disappointing, People are saying that they were under the impression that this couldn't happen with the Smokefire and its new design, others saying on cooks like that, then a drip pan should have been place under the flavouriser bars to stop this and the manual does state that, even if a little vaguely. 

Be interesting to see how this plays out. I am sure Weber in the States deal with these queries over the phone quite adequately, maybe time to start addressing these issues on a more public forum 

There is a lot of negativity out there for the Smokefire , not necessarily attributed to owners. But there do seem a few genuine recurring problems for a few owners that shouldn't be happening and it can't be helping Weber or potential future owners, to keep seeing them.

Be interesting to see what happens in the next 4 weeks before the European/UK release is due and what will happen, before then.

Yikes, just watched the babyback video.  I think I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see what weber have to say on the matter before I make a decision either way.  As you say, if a slight delay is introduced before they ship, i'd be fine with that too.  Infact, I'd probably be a little happier if they did delay at this point.  Time will tell I guess.

Edited by Simon.W

Just watched an interesting video on youtube from someone who seems very experienced with pellet grills and makes a very interesting point half way through about the installation of the igniter. He assembled it himself, but mentions a lot of people buy them pre-assembled from hardware store in the USA (and looking at some of the pictures of Babyback picking his up from his Lowes, it did seem pre-assembled, on the back of his truck. Maybe a reason maybe not, but a possibility). How well the guy in the store is assembling them in store compared to someone at home doing it themselves, could be part of the problem maybe? If not, still some good info on what to look out for, when we do it ourselves.

Spoke to Riverside on twitter today and they have spoken to Weber and they seem to be saying that the majority of problems are down to user error and a drip pan is definitely needed under the bars for lo&slo and the manual does say it. We'll see, but feeling a bit more confident about it today 🤞 Till I see some more scary video reviews tomorrow 😀

• Like 1