Mick

Cold smoker build

So if I make myself a dedicated cold smoker are there any materials I should avoid?  Would pine be ok? Plastic?

I can't see any promlems using pine just as long has it's not treated with anything?. There's a few vids on building a smoker on the tube.

Ice.

• Like 1

You can use most materials. I would avoid galvanised surfaces as they shuld not come in contact with food but any untreated wood is fine. You may get some taint though from pine if it is knotty and there is pine resin visible. Plastic is fine too. Stainless steel is ideal. If you can find an ols stainless steel fridge the that is ideal. If it does not blend in with the rest of the garden then you can always timber clad it.

• Like 2

If you only use the fray a cardboard box with corners pushed strategically as shelves support with a pro q maze at bottom will do.a hole at  top will draw gentle stream up. Put another box around it as support to strengthen it and Bob's your uncle. If you want to see how that works look up pro q eco smoker. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, so will have a think what is best, thinking probably pine as it is cheap or pvc cladding as can get wood like