Christmas Bacon

Phlashster

I was working away in Birmingham again this week, and got back last night. 

My better half had removed the Angus and Oink Christmas cured bacon from the vac pacs, rinsed and dried off. Placed in the fridge overnight for the pellicle to form. 

So it was perfectly ready to smoke. 

At 10pm last night, i put it on with Applewood dust. A single layer of the Pro Q was a bit full. I did actually rearrange after this picture was taken so that the pieces were not touching. This was originally a single piece of loin.

IMG_20191218_220501.thumb.jpg.a33211dcaf231aba7a1ca011ce34ed56.jpg

This morning at 7am, the smoke generator had just a small amount of sawdust left. My estimation based on the first test cook was perfect. 

IMG_20191219_070841.thumb.jpg.cc2fb67a7c1864280127b46c94d6a5e2.jpg

It is now all vac pac'd again and waiting for 2 of these to be sliced on Christmas Eve. Most will be given to family and friends. 

The last slab i will leave vac'd in the fridge for January/Feb consumption.

The kitchen smells like a smoky Christmas already and i haven't even cooked any yet! 

In the New Year, i am going to play with flavouring my own cures. As lovely as this A&O one is, i don't see why i can't do just as well. 

Thanks, Phil.

• Like 5

So I have sliced two of these three pieces today. 

Once we have distributed what we are gifting, I was left with 6 slices and the end pieces.

This is just one of them sliced up. No 5 on my slicer so its good and thick. 6 rashers come to approx 250-275 grams.

IMG_20191224_102644.thumb.jpg.045fbe8059fa044f3880abe76b554dba.jpg

Obviously, I have had to do some quality control checking. :)

It is amazing. The smoke smells stronger uncooked, but once cooked it is nice and light, allowing the Christmas flavour through. 

This is how i want all my bacon to taste now.  😜

Merry Christmas, Phil.

• Like 4