Buying a temp device

SParky Lawrence

The Mavericks are great workhorse thermometers. A little fiddly to configure if you keep wanting to change the alarm settings but most people simply use them as configured straight out of the box. There is also the ET-733. A little more expensive but I have not found any real-world advantages it has over the 732. It does have configurable probes though if you wanted 2 x meat temperatures whereas the 732 has 1 x meat probe and 1 x oven probe.

Thermometers.thumb.jpg.642650fc0d25d2d321e78fb43b8e1a60.jpg

The Thermopro TP20 is also a good thermometer and either will give you a good range.

Another to consider is the Inkbird IBT-2X. An inexpensive thermometer at under £25 but being Bluetooth the range is more limited.

My go-to thermometer currently  is the Thermodata Smoke. In the UK it is available through the ETI Web site but it does not appear in their catalogue. It is a little more expensive at £78 but it is very robust, responsive, has a good range and is really straightforward to configure. Replacement probes are easy to get and it has a big magnet on the back which is great for fixing it in place when it is in use.

I still use both the Mavericks as well though.

Have you checked the accuracy of the drum thermometer? The bi-metal thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I tested several recently and some were over 30 C out. Even some of the Weber branded thermometers were up to 10 C off. It is really important to place one of the digital probes at the cooking grate level to know the temperature at which your meat is actually cooking.

9 hours ago, Wade said:

Have you checked the accuracy of the drum thermometer? The bi-metal thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I tested several recently and some were over 30 C out. Even some of the Weber branded thermometers were up to 10 C off. It is really important to place one of the digital probes at the cooking grate level to know the temperature at which your meat is actually cooking.

i will when i get the probe

The easiest way to calibrate them is to place them in boiling water and see how close they are to 100 C (at sea level). If the thermometer goes down to 0 C then also test it in ice water. Calibrating them against another thermometer assumes that the other thermometer is also accurate.

A couple of examples just to show how inaccurate they can be...

59db2a3d56c59_CallowTemperatureWN.thumb.jpg.192fca9335da3ad8c85ddb3c0d54a259.jpg59db2a4ee52b9_STTemperatureSm.thumb.jpg.aca7b3ed9c92462a7e610f2526c5403a.jpgCallow.thumb.jpg.444175a176ba086f08047892a2095abe.jpg