WoodSmoke 20. National Smokers & BBQ Weekend 31st July - 2nd August 2020

11 minutes ago, Justin said:

Depends how many people 5 people 10 steaks etc..... and a feast later,  so steaks not loads if lunch items like usual, and then an evening feast. Anyway, good idea

I really haven’t got a clue what your  post means ? Lol
it’s a steak competition . 

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Nice idea and a bit of fun on the day, whilst everyone is waiting for their stuff to cook.

I know you are going to publish a full set of rules nearer the time, but is marinating the steak first allowed?

I would guess yes

we usually do chicken wings and all sorts of incidentals at lunch time ahead of feast so with 10 plus steaks  cooked, in addition it is even more food than usual and with feast in the evening so I suggest cut back on the chicken wings and incidentals...obviously it depends how many people etc etc.....obvious I know but just an idea.  Fed up with throwing food away.

5 hours ago, sotv said:

I know you are going to publish a full set of rules nearer the time, but is marinating the steak first allowed?

But wouldnt that take away the elements of surprise and uncertainty? You do realise that you admit defeat the moment you start reading the manual 🙂

Regarding the marinating... All teams pick up their steaks at the same time and what they do with them after that is entirely up to the team. There would normally be 3 or 4 hours between steak collection and turn in so the teams have plenty of time to ruin a perfectly good steak in an almost infinite number of ways 😱

• Like 2

OK - for the defeat admitters amongst us 😎 here is a quick summary of the Steak rules. Dont forget that additional points can be gained by providing the event organisers with large glasses of good quality small batch Burbon. Points will of course be deducted for inferior brands 😁

Seriously - below is a summary of the rules. We will work out the details of how we physically judge closer to the event. We will have plenty of partners/friends who can stand in as independent judges.

The event
•    SCA events are judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
•    The cookoff promoter/organizer will provide all the ribeye steaks for the event in order to create a level playing field.  No other ribeye steaks are allowed at a team’s cook site.
•    The SCA standard for steaks is a minimum of 3cm Boneless Choice Ribeye (We will try but cannot guarantee).
•    Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any SCA Representative.
•    Turn in times will be announced at cooks’ meeting, and will not be changed once announced.
•    Grills may be used by more than one cook. Each registrant must cook their own steaks and may only turn in 1 steak per competition. Cooking steaks for another registrant in the same competition will result in a disqualification.
•    In case of a final results tie, the prize will be split between the teams.  Example: a total tie between two teams for first place.  The prize from first and second place will be added up and divided between the cookers.  The rep will flip a coin to decide who gets which trophy.  
•    All decisions by SCA Reps at an event are final.
•    Head cooks may only enter one entry into the steak category.
The steaks
•    No other ribeye steaks other than the ones provided to the teams by the promoters are to be present at cook sites.
•    Steaks should be cooked Medium (warm pink center).
•    Steaks may be lightly trimmed before, but not after cooking.
•    Steaks may not be marked or branded in any way. (Grill marks are not considered marking).
•    Turn in one steak, whole and uncut, on top of the provided foil disk. The provided foil disks must be placed in the box, silver side up, and not folded in any way.
•    Steaks may be cooked on any fire or heat source.
•    No sauce or garnish is allowed in the steak turn in box. 
•    A compound butter is allowed, as long as it is melted on the steak.
•    There are no size standards for the seasonings on the steak.
•    Pooling of natural juices in the box is acceptable.
•    Steaks are judged on Appearance, Doneness, Taste, Texture and Overall Impression.
•    Tie breaker: Taste, Doneness, Texture, Appearance, and Overall Impression.
Reasons for Disqualifying a steak: 
•    Any foreign object found in the turn in box. (String, Toothpick, Skewer, etc.)
•    Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area.
•    A marked steak.
•    Steak turned in after the turn in window has expired.
•    Folded foil disk in the box.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wade said:

OK - for the defeat admitters amongst us 😎 here is a quick summary of the Steak rules. Dont forget that additional points can be gained by providing the event organisers with large glasses of good quality small batch Burbon. Points will of course be deducted for inferior brands 😁

Seriously - below is a summary of the rules. We will work out the details of how we physically judge closer to the event. We will have plenty of partners/friends who can stand in as independent judges.

The event
•    SCA events are judged by a panel of judges and will be in a “blind judging” format.
•    The cookoff promoter/organizer will provide all the ribeye steaks for the event in order to create a level playing field.  No other ribeye steaks are allowed at a team’s cook site.
•    The SCA standard for steaks is a minimum of 3cm Boneless Choice Ribeye (We will try but cannot guarantee).
•    Teams are subject to random ice chest inspections by any SCA Representative.
•    Turn in times will be announced at cooks’ meeting, and will not be changed once announced.
•    Grills may be used by more than one cook. Each registrant must cook their own steaks and may only turn in 1 steak per competition. Cooking steaks for another registrant in the same competition will result in a disqualification.
•    In case of a final results tie, the prize will be split between the teams.  Example: a total tie between two teams for first place.  The prize from first and second place will be added up and divided between the cookers.  The rep will flip a coin to decide who gets which trophy.  
•    All decisions by SCA Reps at an event are final.
•    Head cooks may only enter one entry into the steak category.
The steaks
•    No other ribeye steaks other than the ones provided to the teams by the promoters are to be present at cook sites.
•    Steaks should be cooked Medium (warm pink center).
•    Steaks may be lightly trimmed before, but not after cooking.
•    Steaks may not be marked or branded in any way. (Grill marks are not considered marking).
•    Turn in one steak, whole and uncut, on top of the provided foil disk. The provided foil disks must be placed in the box, silver side up, and not folded in any way.
•    Steaks may be cooked on any fire or heat source.
•    No sauce or garnish is allowed in the steak turn in box. 
•    A compound butter is allowed, as long as it is melted on the steak.
•    There are no size standards for the seasonings on the steak.
•    Pooling of natural juices in the box is acceptable.
•    Steaks are judged on Appearance, Doneness, Taste, Texture and Overall Impression.
•    Tie breaker: Taste, Doneness, Texture, Appearance, and Overall Impression.
Reasons for Disqualifying a steak: 
•    Any foreign object found in the turn in box. (String, Toothpick, Skewer, etc.)
•    Ribeye steaks other than the ones provided for the event found in team area.
•    A marked steak.
•    Steak turned in after the turn in window has expired.
•    Folded foil disk in the box.

I’ve emailed them earlier this year as I want to be a judge 

• Like 1

I recommend them. They are ones I buy. If you want I can ask them about uniformity next time I go there. It is an option among many. Or spencer can ask. I am going up next week to get some more grub. They are my goto meat supplier. How many steaks are we talking about do you think?  10 to 20 in principle. I can ask them for example price to get an idea.  3cm choice boneless rib eye. Should be easy for them to do. It is an abbatoir after all.  @Raptor72 want to meet me there? We can approach them together. Worth investigating amongst other options