BRISKET Wouldn’t reach temp

James17

New member so hello everyone. 

I BBQ about 3 times a week and do a lot of ribs and pulled pork but have only done one brisket  

I just did my second brisket, a 5lb USDA cut of brisket that I spotted in Costco. It never got above 172f. 

I started the cook at 8:00am on my WSM at 225f using a BBQ guru cyber cloud, so BBQ temp was monitored the whole time and was about 25f above dome temp. 

Hit 150 in about 2 hours. I wrapped it in butcher paper after another 2 hours. Brisket stayed at 150 for 2 hours so I bumped the temp to 250 for a further 3 hours. Brisket got to 160.

bumped to 270 and by the time it got to 11:00 pm (15hrs later) it was only at 172f. I reduced the temp to 225 and let it run overnight. 

7:00 the next morning (23hrs cook time) and it was still at 172f

probe was in the point and I did multiple checks with a thermapen that conformed 172f at multiple points. 

I took it off and obviously the flat was ruined and the point was very tender but the a bit dry in places. 

How can a brisket never get above 172f. Please help. 

• Confused 1

Hi James,  :welcome:. I also have a WSM and have had meat take longer but it has always got to target temp either through wrapping (Foil) or time/temp adjustments. How have previous cooks been in the WSM? I know you said you had a BBQ guru running to maintain temp I was going to suggest a leak but that would've shown up. Maybe try and push temp to 275f for next cook that might get you closer to target quicker. Did you wrap the brisket tightly? I know if it is loose you won't get the same effect. I haven't tried brisket yet so I can't really speak from experience. 

Hi Hoogl

thank you for the warm welcome. All previous cooks have gone great, with or without the guru. 

I did wrap it tight but i'm sure there is room for improvement, next time i'll foil and broth it I think as it was my fist time with butcher paper. But regardless a 23hr cook, a chunk of it at 270f should have gotten the temp above 172. I'm baffled by the whole thing.

Ordered a whole brisket for the coming weekend to have another go so i'll update here. 

Weirdest experience. 

Hi James, 

Feel free to throw in a pic or two of the cooks. 😋

I wouldn't imagine a 5lb brisket taking that long. I'll need to visit Costco and have a look I have been wanting to try Brisket for a while. 

Where did you get the new one from? best of luck with the new one. 

Costco in the UK don't seem to do whole brisket or boston butt. they have a rolled brisket (5lbs) which is a brisket cut in half and they trimmed all the fat off so won't be getting again. 

the pork shoulders are again rolled and about half a shoulder but great quality and good if you don't wan to do a whole shoulder.

I get whole brisket and shoulders from my butcher. i placed the order yesterday for collection next week. 

Tom Hixson (can find on google) look like they do some amazing cuts from all over the world. I am yet to try as don't want to ruin a top end Snake rivers or wagu brisket. I'll wait till i have a few more cooked and done well. 

• Like 1

That's a shame they cut off all the fat. I know when I'm in the Glasgow Costco some of the butchers are still prepping meat. I'm not sure if they could trim it for you differently for another day. 

I spoke to my local butcher and he said he'd give it a bash but to order sat/mon as he gets his meat a tue. If it's not right he also gets it in a fri so gives him two chances which seamed reasonable.

I don't blame you getting some practice in. i've looked at some of the online butchers and like you I'll wait till I'm more proficient.  

I look forward to pics from next weeks Brisket.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:30 PM, James17 said:

Costco in the UK don't seem to do whole brisket or boston butt.

I go to Costco & Booker for all our meat.....I do fine the butchers at our local Bookers great....he will do Boston butts and Tri-tip....maybe worth a look??

Ice.

• Like 1

Have ordered quite a bit of meat from here in the past few months gridironmeat haven't tried a brisket from there, but based on the boston butt, pork belly and ribs i have got, very impressed with them. They will also sell you the flat end or point of the brisket if you don't want a whole one. Free delivery over £45 and if you ask him he will give you a 10% off code usually. Also he will always cut or trim the meat how you want. The meat is only delivered on a Thursday or Friday, by APC, very well packaged and surrounded by frozen containers so the meat has always arrived fresh to me.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, James17 said:

New member so hello everyone. 

I BBQ about 3 times a week and do a lot of ribs and pulled pork but have only done one brisket  

I just did my second brisket, a 5lb USDA cut of brisket that I spotted in Costco. It never got above 172f. 

I started the cook at 8:00am on my WSM at 225f using a BBQ guru cyber cloud, so BBQ temp was monitored the whole time and was about 25f above dome temp. 

Hit 150 in about 2 hours. I wrapped it in butcher paper after another 2 hours. Brisket stayed at 150 for 2 hours so I bumped the temp to 250 for a further 3 hours. Brisket got to 160.

bumped to 270 and by the time it got to 11:00 pm (15hrs later) it was only at 172f. I reduced the temp to 225 and let it run overnight. 

7:00 the next morning (23hrs cook time) and it was still at 172f

probe was in the point and I did multiple checks with a thermapen that conformed 172f at multiple points. 

I took it off and obviously the flat was ruined and the point was very tender but the a bit dry in places. 

How can a brisket never get above 172f. Please help. 

Hi James, something sounds amiss, check all of your equipment doesn't sound possible to cook a 5lb piece for 23 hours and it only got to 172, was your guru probe next to the meat?

Probes can be susceptible to damage when washing. I did accidentally get too much water on my probes on my second cook using them (It read about 20C higher than the other probe), but a wee bake in the oven for 30 or so mins at a low temp fixed them. 

• Like 2

So whole brisket done this weekend. It was a whole brisket from English Steer beef. Looked pretty good

47554D15-141A-4F06-A8A8-809AF449239F.thumb.jpeg.f4d446c1de8540d18d528ca70440e3ed.jpeg

cooked it at 255 for 6 hours and then wrapped in pink butcher paper. After a further 6 hours it was still stuck at 177f. I decided to wrap over the paper with foil and within an hour it was done. 

So do I need to improve how tight my wrap is, or maybe double wrap? At single wrap it was stuck at 177 for a few hours but as soon as I wrapped in foil it started climbing. 

I ran the guru and iGrill side by side. They read 10f apart for about an hour and then we’re within a few Fahrenheit. So probably probe placement. 

Ended up up looking like this. And was amazing. 

D9AAEF71-E73F-478E-8116-55A79B423FEB.thumb.jpeg.598b2bba7affdef52543ddb5d36ffad9.jpeg5DDAD1C5-687B-4B1A-A23C-87AD903C91A1.thumb.jpeg.8ce3d7630233f5db688e218992f88849.jpeg035EB426-6240-450D-9CF2-618D907C1209.thumb.jpeg.d3dd50a9b0ddc537842671e32532d907.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 6:22 PM, James17 said:

So whole brisket done this weekend. It was a whole brisket from English Steer beef. Looked pretty good

47554D15-141A-4F06-A8A8-809AF449239F.thumb.jpeg.f4d446c1de8540d18d528ca70440e3ed.jpeg

cooked it at 255 for 6 hours and then wrapped in pink butcher paper. After a further 6 hours it was still stuck at 177f. I decided to wrap over the paper with foil and within an hour it was done. 

So do I need to improve how tight my wrap is, or maybe double wrap? At single wrap it was stuck at 177 for a few hours but as soon as I wrapped in foil it started climbing. 

I ran the guru and iGrill side by side. They read 10f apart for about an hour and then we’re within a few Fahrenheit. So probably probe placement. 

Ended up up looking like this. And was amazing. 

D9AAEF71-E73F-478E-8116-55A79B423FEB.thumb.jpeg.598b2bba7affdef52543ddb5d36ffad9.jpeg5DDAD1C5-687B-4B1A-A23C-87AD903C91A1.thumb.jpeg.8ce3d7630233f5db688e218992f88849.jpeg035EB426-6240-450D-9CF2-618D907C1209.thumb.jpeg.d3dd50a9b0ddc537842671e32532d907.jpeg

Wow, looks amazing bark you got there.  What was the mass of the brisket?

This is the temperature chart for the one I did yesterday.

You can see that it stalled for only a short time as it was a small piece of meat.

It almost got to 91C and then I had to re-fuel and took the wrap off (foooooool), then I re-wrapped it and it got there OK.

It tasted OK but I didn't really get a good bark on it.  Sorry but we ate it before I could get a photo!

brisket_temp.png

Edited by Dave Littlewood
  • Like 1