Baptism by fire.

Icefever

10 minutes ago, Mick said:

Looks lovely, also a good website 👍

Can't remember off hand.... had to re-join as trying to log on didn't work,  glad I found my old recipe thou.  The one main point to think about is a lot of  Trappist/German beers do use decoction mashing.

Ice.

Nice one mate, Can you post the recipe you are using here. Might give a bash too. I am doing another mild this weekend but I could make that my next brew because I am bottling the oatmeal stout this weekend too which will free u the third fermenter in the fermenter fridge 1

19 hours ago, Justin said:

Nice one mate, Can you post the recipe you are using here. Might give a bash too. I am doing another mild this weekend but I could make that my next brew because I am bottling the oatmeal stout this weekend too which will free u the third fermenter in the fermenter fridge 1

Third fermenter blimey do you bottle all your beer? Have you used the pet plastic bottles?

On 10/8/2019 at 7:38 AM, Icefever said:

Can't remember off hand.... had to re-join as trying to log on didn't work,  glad I found my old recipe thou.  The one main point to think about is a lot of  Trappist/German beers do use decoction mashing.

Ice.

While looking into this style of beer I came across weisenbock which also looks good

6 hours ago, Mick said:

Third fermenter blimey do you bottle all your beer? Have you used the pet plastic bottles?

I have lot of bottles that I have collected. I also have some pet bottles but that is for comps i send my beer to. For instance I am sending 23 to the black beer of christmas exchange group on facebook.  I will be bottling an oatmeal stout this weekend to send off at end of October.  And again a couple bottles of an ESB for the November comp on homebrew uk forum. I am brewing some more ciders in 5 litre plastic water bottles and demijohns for experimenting flavoured syrups. Strawbery, ginger, blackcurrent, toffee, cherry options. Its fun. I am putting on 24 litres of banks mild clone in grainfather too this weekend. One of my local mates is coming to brew with me and sink a couple of bottles of the Dr Hexter Healer ESB we brewed last time. 

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Icefever said:

Any of the Bocks are good malty beers, the Pelforth Brune is a true Bock.  A little lite reading for you guys...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

Very rarely if ones lucky  you may find them in some supermarkets.....give them a try....that way if you not keen on them no sense in brewing one..🤞

Ice.

Will definitely keep an eye out for them when im shopping cheers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mick said:

Blimey Justin you enter comps that is great, good luck with them

I just post them off and then someone reviews them either on facebook video (like the Black Beer of Christams group) or on the homebrew UK forum.  I am also planning to do a keg for the Anglia Hombrew Association Festival in November if I can do it in time.  I am off to the Chelmsford and Mid essex association monthly meet next week to dicuss it, I missed the last 2 unfortunately so am rather behind the curve. It is good fun and non judgemental. And if you do well you win prizes , mostly breing ingredients. I have won nothing so far but i am getting better!

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

The Klarstein turned up yesterday via DPD.....Klarstein the company have been great keeping me up to date on shipping, tracking & del, maybe more companies should take a page from their book???

I must now get on and order grain & hops, I think I'll brew a straight forward bitter/IPA ....something I can do in my sleep, that way I can watch the beasty to see how she works.

I've noticed that even thou they get badged with other names there are some differences, most of whatever info I've read & seen some come with a glass lid, other are metal (this one is) which I prefer. Some have 1000/1500w heaters others 1500/2000w,  this one is 1500/3000w so boil time should be cut back fairish??

I have to find out one of my pumps so I can fit to the tap and recirculate.

The garage has had a tidy and now I have working space,  let the fun begin.

Ice.

• Like 1

Good news. Well done mate. Re watts on  grsinfathrr re heater. When input in mash temp it can swithch between the upper and lower automatically.  Then of course when  put  in boil temp theheater stsys st the higher wattage. Have fun mate. Looking  forward tol learning from your adventures. 

From what  I've seen and know you can manually choose what heater you want,  not sure if you can set a step mash on it yet??  but that's no problem to adjust the temp  has you need it.

Going to have  a play later....time her to a mash temp using both power modes....grains & hops coming Monday so will try and get a brew started ASAP....must bring the ferm fridge down from the barn and get her wired in.....I also think she needs a temp probe fitting half way up the tun.

Ice.

The benefit of the grainfather mate, it can do all that through the bluetooth controller.  But that is what you pay for, on the flip side, it did not have camlocks or handles on the lid etc so plenty of room for modding. I have done camlocks but dropped the lid the other day so that is smashed, waiting for replacement to arrive then I am going to glue a handle on it so I ca change it up. Going to build a tower to so I have put sparge at top and organise the tubes and cooler coil etc.

Edited by Justin

3 hours ago, Justin said:

The benefit of the grainfather mate, it can do all that through the bluetooth controller. 

That was one of the reasons that I didn't want a GF or any of the similar brew kits.  I've had a BM and I found it took away the fun of brewing,  back to the 3 pot days, I want to sit there and be hands on,  I didn't get on with a computer bleeping me to do this or that,  I know when it's time to add hops and go for the hot break,  so let the fun begin..

Ice.