Compact Kamado - Alternative deflector setup

Phlashster

Hi,

I mentioned a while back that I was looking at doing something to the deflector plate in the La Hacienda Seattle compact Kamado. 

The supplied one is too small and hangs just under the grate. There is no room for a drip tray if required. 

IMG_20190701_174240.thumb.jpg.434dcc729c30125efc3aba4e13631437.jpg

You can see a large gap around the side. This restricts somewhat the size of meat you can place above, without edges getting crispy.

The new solution is this. 

IMG_20191004_113946.thumb.jpg.1e0d5decf6f7e41610b7cbdcc152084f.jpg

It's a 6mm thick, 250mm diameter mild steel disc. Ordered from ebay and delivered for a total of £7.90. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-0-mm-Mild-Steel-Laser-Cut-ROUND-BLANK-DISCS-50-300-mm-Ø-Made-in-England/292055291489) To be honest, it could even have taken 5mm or 10mm bigger disc. 

It is sitting on some stainless steel cupboard door hanging hooks ordered from Amazon for £4.43 for 8. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078TFC32L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) These are the perfect size for the ceramic firebox wall. 

I can now remove the hanging legs from under the grate and i have space for a drip tray and a larger area for indirect cooks. 

It is currently having a bit of an unnecessary seasoning burn, but i wanted to try it out.  :yahoo:

The new plate is 25mm (basically an extra inch) larger than the old one and hangs lower.

I also noticed a hairline crack in the ceramic plate when i took it out. So i reckon i did this just in time. 

For a bargain price, i reckon i have got a much better solution. 

Phil.

• Like 1