Hi from Bickleigh, Mid Devon

Rob

Hey everyone, cheers for letting me join. I'm not new to cooking but I am only just starting out in smoking and grilling. I wanted to expand and there seems plenty to learn!

I've started off with a Fornetto Razzo and a cheapo H/Base 57cm kettle. Both of which I've just about got to grips with temp control etc using briquettes. I'd like to move to lumpwood now.

I've done 5 or 6 cooks loaded up each time with a mixture of lamb,  beef,  pork and ribs etc. I tend to make my own rubs and sauces as well as burgers. Basic starter stuff and it's all come out well.

Looking forward to learning hardware tips and tricks and picking up new food ideas. Also like to find someone local to me who can point me in the direction of a butchers who knows his bbq cuts etc.

Thanks for the PM Smokin Monkey. I think I found you by following a link from the Hot Smoked page whilst looking for Nettelfields charcoal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, sotv said:

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. How you finding the Razzo, seriously thinking of getting one. Any good points and bad you have found with it along the way?

Thanks Sotv 👍

Really good,  glad it was first choice for learning. 

Good build quality,  holds temps well and after a few trials I found I could adjust within a few degrees F with small changes to bottom vents,  obviously taking a couple of minutes to settle either way. 

I ran it first with water but soon ditched that and went in dry. More control and no loss of moisture/tenderness. 

The onboard temp gauge is only 10-15 F out and liveable with for cooking in "zones" I do use a bluetooth one though for peace of mind and IT.

It takes a few runs and seasoning to build up to become totally leak free at the section joins if you worry about that sort of thing (I don't)

I've got the 18" due to storage restrictions but for any brisket over 5kg maybe the next size. 

All in all I cant fault it. I had a slightly buckled bottom bowl and Garth (UK distributor)replaced it immediately no hassle and delivered in 2days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Thanks Sotv 👍

Really good,  glad it was first choice for learning. 

Good build quality,  holds temps well and after a few trials I found I could adjust within a few degrees F with small changes to bottom vents,  obviously taking a couple of minutes to settle either way. 

I ran it first with water but soon ditched that and went in dry. More control and no loss of moisture/tenderness. 

The onboard temp gauge is only 10-15 F out and liveable with for cooking in "zones" I do use a bluetooth one though for peace of mind and IT.

It takes a few runs and seasoning to build up to become totally leak free at the section joins if you worry about that sort of thing (I don't)

I've got the 18" due to storage restrictions but for any brisket over 5kg maybe the next size. 

All in all I cant fault it. I had a slightly buckled bottom bowl and Garth (UK distributor)replaced it immediately no hassle and delivered in 2days. 

Thanks for the reply Rob, glad you're pleased overall with your Razzo.

What sort of cooking temp range, do you get using a dry bowl then? Never really done that on my ProQ as the temp minimum is 275F + on that model, with a dry bowl, I have found and that is usually a little higher than I like to cook at.

One of my concerns were buckled segments with it (usually the lid). Seen a few reviews and videos from a people who have had that problem, with the Razzo. Glad you got it sorted.  Did you buy direct from the distributor?

2 hours ago, sotv said:

Thanks for the reply Rob, glad you're pleased overall with your Razzo.

What sort of cooking temp range, do you get using a dry bowl then? Never really done that on my ProQ as the temp minimum is 275F + on that model, with a dry bowl, I have found and that is usually a little higher than I like to cook at.

One of my concerns were buckled segments with it (usually the lid). Seen a few reviews and videos from a people who have had that problem, with the Razzo. Glad you got it sorted.  Did you buy direct from the distributor?

When I first got it I burnt my way through some cheaper briquettes  with couple of cold stones in to emulate cold food going in and played with the temps. I managed to run it steadily anywhere from 195F to 320 ish depending on how loaded the basket was with fuel and how much of a chimney. It was just tweaks with the vents after that. Admittedly the first time I loaded the bugger right up and thought it would breach the atmosphere 🤣. Lesson learnt! 

I bought it online in a sale a while back from a BBQ place (name escapes me atm) I contacted them immediately and to their credit they raised a ticket with Garth then and there. Expecting it to be weeks rather than a couple days I gently persuaded it back into shape and used it. The new one arrived without having to send the old one back so I have a spare should I need it or start another build.

• Like 1

@Skagg2000 Hey Nick, we seem few and far between ATM but I'm sure that'll change after the seasonal sales are done.

A couple of questions...

How long a burn have you managed on the 22?  Also have you used just one section yet and is it a big temp hike?

I see you live in the S/Hams. Until a couple of yrs ago I lived in Brixton on the drag to Plymouth.  Still got a bro in Totnes and parents in Ipplepen. I live that area and miss it. Everything on your doorstep,  Coast,  moors and city.

Hi Rob,

I've never fully loaded it to be honest, but managed 16 hours @ 200-225F for a single 5kg brisket with both stacker fitted, sand ballast & olive firewood premium lumpwood in one go. It was the height of summer, so the external temp was reasonably mild.

I haven't used just one section yet, we tend to us it like a Weber kettle as you can place the coals under the top stacker with a grill over it & cook / grill at a decent height.

I think they are a great piece of kit. Ever since I first saw one in the UK distributors in their Buckfastleigh showroom I wanted one. Took a whilst to get to the right price though!

Fantastic Chippy in Brixton :) . Yup that's why we live here. That said, I spent a number of years living in Rewe & went to Primary school in Stoke Canon in the 70's which is just down the road from you if I have the right Bickleigh.

Cheers n Gone Nick

@Skagg2000much better idea lifting the fuel basket than going dwarf mode. 

I've just got some Green Olive Firewood Charcoal for my first venture into charcoal instead of briquettes. Any tips would be gratefully received.

'Tis a great chippy in Brixton. I lived down the little lane between the Pub and the Chippy (such a bind 😆)

That is indeed the same Bickleigh and drive through Rewe and Stoke Canon today! Primary in the 70's also puts you in the same age bracket...🤫🤐😉

Small small world hey.

Rob