Chuck and Jacobs ladder

Diggerg

9 hours ago, Diggerg said:

Probably not enough 😂😂😂. Not sure to be honest as it's my first go but I'll let you know. It's a 4 1/2 lb joint so probably be about 3 when cooked. 

Managed to source a chuck roast from a fairly local butchers. Picking it up in the morning. Hoping a 5lb one will do enough tortillas for 15-20 people.

Going to try out this recipe, Mexican Pulled Beef and use some of those Old El Paso Mexicana Street Market White Corn Tortillas along with some salad & dips for fillings.

Main concern is cooking time, as haven't cooked a whole chuck roast before, just steak size portions for Poor Man Burnt Ends. Hoping for a 12-13 hour cook for about that size and can put it on about midnight and then wrap in foil for up to 4 hours before pulling. Which would take me up to 5pm Don't really want to get up at 3-4am in the dark and half asleep to get things going if only an 8-9 hour cook.

Good luck with yours....

• Like 1

Just picked up a piece of 21 day aged chuck roast, £23 for just over 3kg. He cut it off a whole shoulder, in front of me. Learnt a lot about the different cuts from that part of the cow as he was doing it, chine and ribs etc I might trim a bit more of the fat off the outside before putting it in the smoker.

Got a feeling there is going to be enough for a big pot of chilli, next day afterwards. If it cooks ok

IMG_0036.thumb.JPG.e9a4d491e49dbfaa756c89b3eb036b23.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:55 AM, sotv said:

Just picked up a piece of 21 day aged chuck roast, £23 for just over 3kg. He cut it off a whole shoulder, in front of me. Learnt a lot about the different cuts from that part of the cow as he was doing it, chine and ribs etc I might trim a bit more of the fat off the outside before putting it in the smoker.

Got a feeling there is going to be enough for a big pot of chilli, next day afterwards. If it cooks ok

IMG_0036.thumb.JPG.e9a4d491e49dbfaa756c89b3eb036b23.JPG

What a fabulous piece of meat to cook and eat. Ended up being my longest cook so far. 18 straight hours and 2 hours rest. But the results were worth it. Cooked at 225F to an internal temp of 195F unwrapped. (was thinking 12-13 hours initially but a near 6 hour stall at 150F put paid to that) Was aiming for 205F but time beat me, but didn't make any difference to the finished cook. Shredded great and served with corn tortillas, salad, grated cheese and salsa or sour cream and chive dip. Enough left over for chilli tomorrow.

I was worried about the thickness and quantity of the fat cap left around it even after some trimming and how difficult it would make it to shred once cooked. But it just peeled off leaving just lumps of succulent meat that literally fell apart. Definitely will be cooking again. A lot more flavour and more succulent than Pork Shoulder imho

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Diggerg said:

Can't wait to do mine. Looks like it'll be going on Friday night then.

No reason it couldn't be cooked at a higher temp and wrapped, during the cook to save some time. I just prefer to let it do its own thing, however long it takes, when I can

My graph from the cook, shows how long it took to climb from 150-160F nearly 7 hours and another 3 hours stuck around the 180F mark. The probe threw a wobbly at the start, hence the spike, so had to swap it out. Temp kept at a  pretty even 225F except for a couple of lid opens for a basket top up and a couple of mops

Untitled.thumb.png.89050115b59608b863bb58d441cf975c.png

All the videos I had seen before of Chuck Roasts from America seemed to be trimmed pieces of meat, no fat on the outside in a block type cut. Maybe the shape and fat cap of the one I had, made the cook time different? but the collagen inside the rolled piece of meat, completely dissolved and made the bight pink and red pieces of beef glisten made it all worth while.

• Like 1