Chuck and Jacobs ladder

Diggerg

I can recommend Gridironmeat locally sourced Yorkshire native breeds. Don't show Chuck Roast on there, but when they don't do a cut I want. I just give him a ring and he adds it to the website for you to add to your order. Very knowledgeable butcher, that is happy to help in my experience. Meat is well packaged and chilled and sent via DPD overnight. If needed this weekend, would need to be ordered today for a Friday delivery.

Free delivery over £45, if you ask him he will give you a 10% discount on your order, usually. Excellent offer on Native Breed Pork Belly ;St Louis Trimmed Ribs this month 4kg for £19.95, if you have room in your freezer as well.

• Like 1

Hi Diggerg,

I use my local farm shop. They have their own cattle and supplement with other local farmers depending on demand. 

They butcher onsite themselves.

I looked at some chuck last week and to be honest it looked quite lean to me. I will be trying it at some point.

I did buy some beef ribs again though. These are beef ribs with a piece of muscle on top, feels like brisket flat. I have had these before and have never been disappointed.

IMG_20190823_172752.thumb.jpg.680bc2bb67615b18dfe0713d259b6c84.jpg

IMG_20190823_172725.thumb.jpg.203efefa3d93cae10f15d0e5629a3d43.jpg

IMG_20190824_173743.thumb.jpg.5f95db36175d097399ecf1079fd89e5e.jpg

IMG_20190824_173940.thumb.jpg.7182343fa8ebcef63239ac7447707f05.jpg

It cooks more firm than the rib meat, but is still awesome. You can see it on this picture as the more grey meat. Still lovely and juicy. 

I haven't used any of the online butchers, so i can't personally recommend any. 

Phil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Hi Diggerg,

I use my local farm shop. They have their own cattle and supplement with other local farmers depending on demand. 

They butcher onsite themselves.

I looked at some chuck last week and to be honest it looked quite lean to me. I will be trying it at some point.

I did buy some beef ribs again though. These are beef ribs with a piece of muscle on top, feels like brisket flat. I have had these before and have never been disappointed.

IMG_20190823_172752.thumb.jpg.680bc2bb67615b18dfe0713d259b6c84.jpg

IMG_20190823_172725.thumb.jpg.203efefa3d93cae10f15d0e5629a3d43.jpg

IMG_20190824_173743.thumb.jpg.5f95db36175d097399ecf1079fd89e5e.jpg

IMG_20190824_173940.thumb.jpg.7182343fa8ebcef63239ac7447707f05.jpg

It cooks more firm than the rib meat, but is still awesome. You can see it on this picture as the more grey meat. Still lovely and juicy. 

I haven't used any of the online butchers, so i can't personally recommend any. 

Phil.

What farm shop is that?

5 minutes ago, Diggerg said:

Just arrived. Bit disappointed that the Jacobs ladders are more like short ribs as they've been cut. Chuck looks great though. 

IMG_20190830_095153.jpg

They look pretty good to me! The full length ribs are quite a size in a big joint and for serving, i would suggest that size would work better for individual portions. The wife and i had to share one from that last cook. 

They look nice and meaty with good marbling. I don't think  you will be disappointed once cooked and you taste them.

Phil.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but looking to do something similar

Quick question. Got a family party on Sunday and they have asked me to do something. Like the idea of Pulled Beef nachos. Rang my butcher, no chuck roast in. But he has said he will do me a 3 kg piece of flank for the same price. 

Never cooked flank for pulling before on the smoker. Anyone any experience of a large piece of flank Is it as good or better? Butcher reckons it is as good and should pull, but not a lot of info out there on cooking it in a smoker anyone any experience of it.

Without seeing the meat, I would imagine if it is like flank steak rather than a roast a 3kg piece would have to be cut into pieces as a whole piece would be to large in a smoker, unless it was rolled and tied

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

They look pretty good to me! The full length ribs are quite a size in a big joint and for serving, i would suggest that size would work better for individual portions. The wife and i had to share one from that last cook. 

They look nice and meaty with good marbling. I don't think  you will be disappointed once cooked and you taste them.

Phil.

Plus there 2 in each vac pac.

5 minutes ago, sotv said:

How many nachos do you reckon you will get out of that piece out of interest?

Probably not enough 😂😂😂. Not sure to be honest as it's my first go but I'll let you know. It's a 4 1/2 lb joint so probably be about 3 when cooked. 

Edited by Diggerg
Extra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor72 said:

Digger your near Colchester Way ? 

C Humphrey’s and sons are over near great Leigh’s 

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Yes at  Ranks Green, it is fantastic if you go there, it is worth it

image.thumb.png.688bef55f7c44e9678d7d8a0445b2ee1.png

Can you get half pigs and beef quarters here?