Cherry Tree.

Icefever

A few weeks back a friend asked us if we wanted the wood from a cherry tree that she was having cut down.  We jumped at it,  as we have a log burner,  we won't be able to use it for a couple of years, but when we went down to start moving it I was gobsmacked....the trunk must be at least 2' 6" across,  then I had an idea....I'm going to make a chopping block for us out of one of the larger rings..  :thumb1:

IMG_20190817_111003817.thumb.jpg.8b7cda3e673ae0effae8fa4e3257a8e7.jpg

Ice.

• Like 5

It's always difficult getting a ring to dry evenly without splitting, try cutting it thicker than you need then paint the cut surfaces to stop the moisture migrating out too quickly and store it outside, but under cover for a year at least.

Here's a bit of walnut we cut with the Lucas Mill last month, the client wanted a "live edged" chopping board from it, you can see a big slab of sweet chestnut in the background that they are gonna use for a rustic outside table. The other pic is a of a one and a half ton piece of oak with a great burr grain.

Cherry is probably my favourite smoking wood, it imparts a lovely colour too..

20190711_120030.jpg

20190709_173838.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jockaneezer said:

try cutting it thicker than you need then paint the cut surfaces to stop the moisture migrating out too quickly and store it outside, but under cover for a year at least.

Cutting it thicker is no problem,  what would you say 6".?...9"???  then what paint?  storage is easy in the garage.....many thanks for the info...

Ice.

• 1 month later...