Short ribs

sub333

Fancy pants recipe Beer Braised Beef short ribs? Mesquite smoke works well.

Braising liquid first 

1 tbs olive oil, 1 large onion roughly chopped, 6 garlic cloves, i jalapeno pepper roughly chopped with seeds, 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 ground black pepper, 3 bottles of larger and a bay leaf. 

This isfor 2.5 kg of short ribs.

Sauce 240 ml tomato ketchup  2 tbsp black treacle, tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce (optional) 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp aslt, 1/2 tsp black pepper

Individually cut ribs

Heat a stockpot medium heat, add onion garlic, chilli and cook for 5 mins until onion is tender, , stirring occasionally, add oregano, cumin seeds, salt pepper and cook for 30 secs., stirring continuously. Pour in larger and add bay leaf, place ribs in the braising liquid meaty side down and just enough water to cover, bring to boil over high heat and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1/2 hours until ribs are barely tender when pierced with tip of a knife. Transfer ribs to a cooling tray. Remove and discard and bones that fall off, reserve the liquid, cover the cooled ribs for about 2 hours until chilled.

Strain the braising liquid through a fine sieve into a large bowl and leave to stand for 10 mins, skim the fat off the surface of the liquid, rinse the pan any pour strained liquid back into the cleaned pan and bring to boil over high heat, lower and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours until reduced to 175ml.

prepare bbq 180 to 230 

Brush cooled ribs with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper, smoke with lid closed with mesquite chips or pellets etc for 25 mins until  the meat starts to crisp up around the edges. 

Brush ribs generously with sauce and move ribs over direct heat with lid closed for about 5 mins turning occasionally until sauce is glazed on eat, move and serve warm with remaining sauce, 

It is important to let ribs cool first before smoking so they take longer heat up and absorb more smoke.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 2

@Justin

I like the sound of that!

My missus says other meats I've done have been 'too smoky', so this might be ideal for her.

Quick question: on my ProQ Frontier, should I add a stacker (or two), and smoke the ribs with a bit of distance between them and the heat for first part, then put them right on the grille above the coals?

Also, for such a short cooking time (ie less than an hour), can I get away with much less charcoal than normally, or do I still need a fair bit to get the heat up?

Seems a waste to fill the basket with charcoal for such a short cook (or can I use them again?)

Not sure how you do a indirect then direct cook on pro q someone else can advise on that mate. but the stacker up down makes sense?   @Wade @Smokin Monkey @sotvcan maybe advise on pro q method

I think you can use less charcoal ( maybe 1/2  to 2/3s chimney as long as temp is 180 plus it should smoke nicely and be enough direct heat to glaze the sauce  at the end for 5 mins.  i would not let the indirect temp get below 180c though, preferably about 200c. .  OR you can go you original simple rub and smoke  in pro q for hours up to you,, braising will make them real tender but it is faff. put you chef hat on if you do.

Cheers

Edited by Justin

As per Justin i prefer braised short ribs and follow BBQright's way of doing it and find them tasty. Only thing I do different is cook at a constant 240-250F all the way through, it takes around 6  hours and I use some homemade SPG rub as I don't like the pepper overdone to much for my personal taste and use a cherry or apple chunk, because like you my wife isn't keen on an overpowering smoke flavour to the meat

For the charcoal once finished cooking shut all the vents down top and bottom and it stops them burning, and they go out very quickly. What's left in the bottom, I then just stick them in the charcoal chimney to start the next cook.

Edited by sotv

On 8/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Justin said:

Fancy pants recipe Beer Braised Beef short ribs? Mesquite smoke works well.

Braising liquid first 

1 tbs olive oil, 1 large onion roughly chopped, 6 garlic cloves, i jalapeno pepper roughly chopped with seeds, 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 ground black pepper, 3 bottles of larger and a bay leaf. 

This isfor 2.5 kg of short ribs.

Sauce 240 ml tomato ketchup  2 tbsp black treacle, tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce (optional) 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp aslt, 1/2 tsp black pepper

Individually cut ribs

Heat a stockpot medium heat, add onion garlic, chilli and cook for 5 mins until onion is tender, , stirring occasionally, add oregano, cumin seeds, salt pepper and cook for 30 secs., stirring continuously. Pour in larger and add bay leaf, place ribs in the braising liquid meaty side down and just enough water to cover, bring to boil over high heat and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1/2 hours until ribs are barely tender when pierced with tip of a knife. Transfer ribs to a cooling tray. Remove and discard and bones that fall off, reserve the liquid, cover the cooled ribs for about 2 hours until chilled.

Strain the braising liquid through a fine sieve into a large bowl and leave to stand for 10 mins, skim the fat off the surface of the liquid, rinse the pan any pour strained liquid back into the cleaned pan and bring to boil over high heat, lower and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours until reduced to 175ml.

prepare bbq 180 to 230 

Brush cooled ribs with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper, smoke with lid closed with mesquite chips or pellets etc for 25 mins until  the met starts to crisp up around the edges. 

Brush ribs generously with sauce and move ribs over direct heat with lid closed for about 5 mins turning occasionally until sauce is glazed on eat, move and serve warm with remaining sauce, 

It is important to let ribs cool first before smoking so they take longer heat up and absorb more smoke.

Hi Justin, am reducing the sauce now. Once that's done, do you add the ketchup, treacle etc to the reduced sauce so it's all in the same pan? 

Very pleased with the result. A hint of smoke, and the flavourful braising liquid did the trick. When I put the meat right over the coals, the flames leapt up, so got a bit more char than I was expecting, but overall, very happy. Here's a pic. 

Thank you @Justin for the recipe 🙂

20190811_192020-01.jpeg

• Like 5