Pizza On The ProQ Frontier

sotv

The third Pizza in the video looks to have cooked properly, they use 2 pizza stones, one on top of each other. Never seen that before, is their a benefit? Not used my ProQ pizza stone as much as I should as struggled to get it hot enough, but they are showing 230C with 1 stacker which seems a temp you should be able to cook pizza at? Maybe the Cocoshell Briquettes burn hotter than lumpwood I have tried previously?

Youtube

• Like 1

So i've never tried this on my ProQ, but watching the video you linked to I' do it this way if i had two pizza stones.....

Place the grill & stone directly over the coals, place the other stone on a grill on top of your first stacker. Stick the lid on & get some heat into it, around 300F i'd think.

My thinking is you want alot of heat to cook the dough, but also want heat reflected back down to melt & brown the cheese, otherwise it runs the risk of sweating & the topping will slide off at the first opportunity when you go to cut it!

So, put the pizza on the first stone, place the stacker on top to create a sandwich.

Just my thoughts

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

Could work, I have the plancha could cover that with silver foil to reflect the heat above it to see how it works, before investing in a second stone? My only concern would be have the stone so close to the coals. could it deal with that sort of heat? would also have to check how the stones would sit with the charcoal basket handles also on my older Frontier version.

When I was looking for a ceramic tile to cut out a deflector I noted that most ceramic tiles would cope with firing up to 1000f for glazing.  If the challenge I had cutting the thing to fit & how red it was glowing is anything to go by i'd say it won't struggle with coping with being directly over the coals. Rapid temp changes are more likely to cause it to crack than steady sustained high temperatures.

If your frontier is like mine, turn the 3 brackets in the fire basket around so the longer lug sits on the top rather than the bottom as normal. This should give enough length for the stone to sit on these rather than the basket. I learned this from Ben Forte who showed me how to do it with the plancha when I was chatting with him about how I couldn't get enough heat into the plancha with it on top of the first stacker. Obvious really, but i needed it pointing out to me!

Cheer n Gone Nick

On 8/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, sotv said:

Looked at it before but couldn't get anything to fit in the hole to loosen and turn them.

If you remember Steve when we fitted the fire tape to yours and you said about the doors, when we took a closer look at the hinges they were pop rivets.....are the brackets the same???

Ice.

• Like 1