First run with sand.

Icefever

Got folks coming today, so bbq later.....bought a bag of play sand from Homebase,  filled the water pan maybe half....did read think it was @Mack said fill about a third??  trust me to be heavy handed. 🤔

Any way it was taking it's time to come up to heat so I decided to take some of the sand out,  as it seemed to be getting nowhere.  Scooped  out half of what was in the bowl and noticed it was steeming, the sand was damp, why didn't I think of that?? the sand was taking all of the heat. 🙄

Since taking sand out the temp is now building,  thank the BBQ gods for that.....talk about low & slow, we'll be eating at midnight at this rate. 😂

Ice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Glad it worked out for you Brian, I have switched to sand recently as well. Along with the smartfire have got stable temps between 225F - 325F using it and no need now tokeep topping up the water in the pan during the cook.

Cleaner waterpan and I remove the foil covering it after every cook and replacing before new one after breaking up the crust from the previous cook, the sand can keep being re-used

49 minutes ago, sotv said:

no need now tokeep topping up the water in the pan during the cook.

That's the best part Steve. I must admit I'm going to fire tape my proq after watching this afternoon how there's a thin trace of smoke in places around the top ring section.  It looks like it worked on yours?

Ice

6 hours ago, Montyb82 said:

Can you let me know how you set up charcoal/brickets to achieve this please?

A  2/3  chimney of large lumpwood.....then about 12/14 coco briquettes on top in the centre...I wasn't after a long burn so no need for a snake/minion type setup.

Ice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Icefever said:

That's the best part Steve. I must admit I'm going to fire tape my proq after watching this afternoon how there's a thin trace of smoke in places around the top ring section.  It looks like it worked on yours?

Ice

Difficult one isn't it, certainly won't hurt to seal it.

I believe most of these types of  smokers are expected to leak smoke slightly even when new. Mine is 3 years old and very well used, so became worse over time. Maybe give it a few months and see how it goes. If smoke escaping from where it shouldn't gets worse or temperatures don't hold steady for a period of time and maybe you find your smartfire causes more smoke to come out from these places as well, look to seal it then.

My problem was not a good seal and air getting in and causing the cooking temperatures to rise internally and not being able to control it very well, with the smartfire in operation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wade said:

Do not worry about a few small smoke leaks in the bullet smokers (unless it is billowing out of the door). Leaks are more an issue with cheap offset smokers.

Thanks, Wade, good to know. Smoke leaks out of my ProQ Frontier, but only a little. When I read some of these posts I wondered if I needed to sort the seals out on the doors, but from what you've said, no need.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, Icefever said:

Well it all turned out ok......temp sat at 125c for about an hour, then the sand must have dried and it sat at 130c till the finish....I'm chuffed...sand for me from now on.

Yay! The water pan adds nice moisture, but topping up is a pita for anything over an 8H cook. And if you forget, temps rocket out of control. 

Add a Smartfire and boom. Life able to continue while you cook delicious food.

Sand is the future. Or now. Or something. Maybe it's just sand.

Phil. 

Edited by Phlashster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
10 hours ago, Granettalia said:

I am struggling to get hold of playpit sand with all the current complications... Would fine grade paving sand be sufficient?

The only reason I suggest play sand is it comes sterile...yes, by all means, use the sand you have. If it's in a bag ok, if in a pile down the garden I would maybe wash & let it dry out. 👍

Ice.

• 3 months later...
On 7/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, Icefever said:

Got folks coming today, so bbq later.....bought a bag of play sand from Homebase,  filled the water pan maybe half....did read think it was @Mack said fill about a third??  trust me to be heavy handed. 🤔

Any way it was taking it's time to come up to heat so I decided to take some of the sand out,  as it seemed to be getting nowhere.  Scooped  out half of what was in the bowl and noticed it was steeming, the sand was damp, why didn't I think of that?? the sand was taking all of the heat. 🙄

Since taking sand out the temp is now building,  thank the BBQ gods for that.....talk about low & slow, we'll be eating at midnight at this rate. 😂

Ice.

Just got mine delivered today, Big thanks to Mack! 

What ‘settings’ did you have your vents on? Doing a test run with sand in the pan and temps are hitting upto 300F, coming down to around 270F now and been going for around 1hr 30 min. 2 bottom vents fully closed,  3rd bottom vent about 1/4 open and the top vent half open. 

Also I use a Smoke thermometer, anybody use one with their ProQ? Unable to fit them into the pre drilled grommet holes, don’t really want to drill them bigger if there is another way around it? Currently passed it through on of the side doors.  

Looks like you may need to drill a bigger hole to fit a larger grommet or cut a slot in top compartment where the lid fits to accommodate those probes as crushing the wire between stack edges is never a good idea in the long run

On 7/18/2020 at 9:09 AM, sotv said:

Looks like you may need to drill a bigger hole to fit a larger grommet or cut a slot in top compartment where the lid fits to accommodate those probes as crushing the wire between stack edges is never a good idea in the long run

That’s what I thought tbh 👍🏻 When doing the test run I put it through the door, but this created to much of a smoke leak, hence the question. Thanks for your help 

• Like 1