Rhubarb and Ginger Turbo cider.

Justin

It bubbling away and already people are already  asking for a  bottle because they loved the it  last one.  i tell them it needs barter or  effort or a favour, no freebies. One of my mates brews with me and he gets some bottles in return another buys apple juice and yeast for cider and we go 50 50 on the  bottles it produces, he then has to return my bottles to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I am racking into secondary fermenters now and I fix a bottling stick to those so that is easy and it clears up the cider or beer quicker (of course if I am using the fastfermenter conical then this is not necessary s it deals with that in one but that valve on the fastferment winds me up, sometimes it is fine and sometime s it will not turn, saving up for Fermzilla..., And I use  a bench capper to speed up capping.  I do not mind  bottling. 

As I've said before I don't mind bottling,  I started with bottles many years back, then went onto the plastic barrels with the small Co2 capsules.....they are IMHO a total waste of time...
Finished up with 8/9 corny kegs, kegerator the works, then woke up and thought I'm craft brewing, not taking on the world.
This time when I get started, (off to the lads tomorrow for the weekend) I'm going back to my roots,  brew & bottle....a tip for you Justin & anyone else that brews....when you've bottled a brew stand the full bottles in an old 25 lt fermenter or one of those plastic crates you see in B&M, B&Q.

Cover with an old towel then if by any chance you have a bottle blow (bottle bomb) all the glass and beer will be contained in the bucket....safer and no mess to clear...well only to empty the bucket and wash.

Ice.

• Like 1

I have 100 bottles of cider capped and conditioning at the mo. I keep them in these plastic horse troughs I have so it is not a problem Never had bomb yet fingers crossed, and it is all in the garage so if it does then fine.

Edited by Justin

• 7 months later...

hi, just joined, newbie here! I am interested in how your cider with rhubarb and ginger turned out...from last year? Anything you would tweek in the process for the next time? I am going to embark on this project this year. I have made wine for several years from a kit, so this would be my first from scratch project. I will be using my fastfermenter but could use bucket and carboy if its the better option. I am going to harvest my rhubarb and freeze and then wait till the fall for apples. I think from what I see Justin, you used apple juice boxes? You all seem to have loads of experience, looking to learn and eliminate unnecessary mistakes ;)

It was lovely.  I always use the cheapest apple juice form concentrate I can find, Morrisons 4*1L is a nice flavour once fermented too, better than the Lidl Naturis ones, Donto forget the strong tea, the tannins help with flavour r of the cider, And when priming go up to 2.4vols at least to get enough bubbles, or keg it and carbonate that way with out priming

So the Apple rhubarb cider is on...in the end I forgot the ginger, which I was so very bummed out about. What your thought of an additive to ‘preserve’ cider? And do you bottle carbonated or not? If you carbonate what has been successful? 

289E84E8-BFDE-409E-9794-77C45C915687.jpeg

DE207146-64D5-4C24-B68C-15242BA07B99.jpeg

0449CEC7-91DC-4AA1-A66D-972A924980FA.jpeg

00650197-2C16-4357-A649-046FD70289E2.jpeg

• Like 1

Strong Tea:, 6 bags in boiling water and let cool.

Bottle Carbonating: make up sugar solution,  use a carbonation table in on internet for how much, gently mix into batch and bottle straight away. 

Preservative: the alcohol will do that

Do not worry about the ginger, interesting to see how it turns out using fresh apples

Oh and the bottom valve should be open when fermenting so the trub goes it he bulb at bottom, that is how you use fastfermenter a secondary because you can close valve remove it and then put i back again. f you do not you run a heavy risk of blocking the valve

14 hours ago, Justin said:

Your fastfermenter is pretty close to the floor for bottling from it?

How many kg of apples did you juice to get that batch?

Thanks for the advice on the tea and carbonation. The tea I already took care of, I have some time to check things out for adding sugar for carbonation. 

My fastfermenter is about 3.5 feet from the ground, what you see is a little shelf. 

I used 40 pounds of apples and got nearly 15 litres of juice. This includes what I pressed out of the pulp. I used 3 pounds of rhubarb and 200 g of brown sugar and that yielded 5 cups. Pretty please over all! It took time, but my youngest helped. 

I have the bulb closed off at the bottom as I have the Campden tablets to work their magic. When making wine, I will open it few days after I add the yeast. Which I have not done yet for this cider batch. 

*however, I flipped systems as I did not consider the temperature in this room for the coming season. So into a plastic bucket and into a cooler room. 

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time! 

Edited by mandy