Bone Broth In The Slow Cooker

sotv

I use this recipe to make homemade broth i use for braising meats in the smoker or Stews in general done in the house, that I found on the net. Can take a bit of time, but produces a good nice flavoured broth.

I have a 3.2L slow cooker so quantities can be adjusted according to the size of the slow cooker

1.5 kg of bones (from butchers shop or use bones that you have leftover from a Sunday roast, chicken lamb etc) I use the marrow bones you can get from Morrisons works out about a £5 for 1.5kg

2 Celery Stalks

2 Carrots

1 Medium Onion

2 Garlic Cloves

2 Crushed Egg Shells

1 tbsp of Salt

2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar

1.5 Litres of Water

Herbs of choice I usually use Sage, Thyme and Oregano but Rosemary or Parsley goes well also

Throw everything in the pot and the chopped vegetables and herbs and cook on low setting for 24-36 hours (Can be up to 72 hours if desired). Strain thoroughly and can be kept in fridge for 5 days if sealed or frozen into ice cube trays in the freezer if not a suitable container available and used accordingly.

You can top-up with water if desired if boiling dry or you want more finished quantity but 36 hours of low cooking on mine produces just over a pint and a half of nice flavoured broth for me and meets my needs, without any topping up.

• Like 1

lol nothing chefy about it, literally chuck everything in the pot and leave to do its thing, just doing a fresh batch for the beef on Saturday, which reminded me to post it.

Doing a fresh batch for Saturday, here is a couple of photos only been in about 3 hours, but the marrow is starting to dissolve already (their is 5 bones in their in total), in about 36 hours it should be done and just needs straining and leaving in the fridge for 24 hours and skim the fat off.

The smell of it cooking in the house during the time, is lovely as well.

1284928792_IMG_20190716_1203265561.thumb.jpg.1c11172e4a05a06d6f0232eaf3cb057d.jpg

1097641032_IMG_20190716_1201538321.thumb.jpg.ee275c271e772e8c2cfade381957f2de.jpg

I find a lot of broths, stocks ready made, from the supermarket are way too high in salt content for my taste. The kallio low salt ones are pretty good but can't beat homemade if you have the time and patience

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

36 hours in the slow cooker and left on low, didn't top up liquid, then turned off and left to cool overnight

IMG_20190717_214335721.thumb.jpg.5ac073bbd96335ddb1c91ae3de28d3f5.jpg

Ran through a fine sieve twice and left in fridge for 30 minutes, fat solidifies on the top, looks like a slightly rancid pint of Guinness 😀, removed with a spoon. Just under a pint of liquid left from starting with just over 2 pints of liquid.

IMG_20190718_170816499_HDR.thumb.jpg.9c4b80c10b2eb1a43408bddcf0648828.jpg

Got enough for 3 of these. Will use 1 of these on Saturday to braise the Osso Bucco in and the other 2 put in the freezer, but should keep for 5-7 days in the fridge

IMG_20190718_170853996_HDR.thumb.jpg.38be8b625a00c135e4f437771fb40718.jpg

p.s. the smell throughout the house whilst it is cooking in the slow cooker, is gorgeous a meat lovers version of home cooked bread 😀

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, sotv said:

36 hours in the slow cooker and left on low, didn't top up liquid, then turned off and left to cool overnight

IMG_20190717_214335721.thumb.jpg.5ac073bbd96335ddb1c91ae3de28d3f5.jpg

Ran through a fine sieve twice and left in fridge for 30 minutes, fat solidifies on the top, looks like a slightly rancid pint of Guinness 😀, removed with a spoon. Just under a pint of liquid left from starting with just over 2 pints of liquid.

IMG_20190718_170816499_HDR.thumb.jpg.9c4b80c10b2eb1a43408bddcf0648828.jpg

Got enough for 3 of these. Will use 1 of these on Saturday to braise the Osso Bucco in and the other 2 put in the freezer, but should keep for 5-7 days in the fridge

IMG_20190718_170853996_HDR.thumb.jpg.38be8b625a00c135e4f437771fb40718.jpg

p.s. the smell throughout the house whilst it is cooking in the slow cooker, is gorgeous a meat lovers version of home cooked bread 😀

Love the slight nutty taste. Will have to do more soon 

I use it with beef cheeks or ox tail stews 

• Like 1

It adds more calcium to the finished broth also. I think people assume using bones in a broth means it would be high in calcium, but evidently it only produces less than what a 1/4 cup of milk gives you

I use it for cooking purposes, so it is optional really. But people drink broth regularly as a health supplement as well and the extra calcium in it, is seen as a benefit overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eggshells should always be either boiled or washed thoroughly before adding to get rid of any bacteria or nasties, but they certainly won't hurt your broth. I only normally add a couple, but they can be saved up and add as many as you like

All this can be done in a stockpot or pressure cooker as well much, much quicker, but I just prefer a slow cooker on low, you don't get that load of foamy stuff forming this way, and it is literally just throw it all in an leave it, for however long you want. You can even use veg peelings (probably not potato) rather than the whole things chopped up as well. So what you would throw away normally for a Sunday dinner, including the bones, can be used to make a good stock.

18 minutes ago, Icefever said:

The fox took the last lot,  may get some more,  but we have a free range farm not a mile from us, the eggs are all double yolkers at the mo.

Ice.

What a nightmare! They're my first foray into keeping chickens were rescued from a battery farm and have pretty much doubled in size now but averaging about 3 eggs a day which is great! Man I haven't had a double yolker for a while, like finding a fiver in an old coat!

• Haha 1