First go with my ProQ Frontier

Guitarbloke

So this weekend (Saturday) I had my first run with my shiny new ProQ Frontier.

First of all,  the thing that surprised me perhaps the most, was how much easier it was to get a stable temperature compared to my gas grill!

With the gas bbq I'm constantly back and forth adjusting the dials or popping the lid to lower the temp etc.

The ProQ was ridiculously simple - I set up a full basket of Weber briquettes using the minion method, and chucked in a few handfuls of soaked apple wood chips, filled the water pan and let it do its thing.  I did struggle to put the full water pan into the Frontier directly over the lit coals, and ended up sloshing a load over the charcoal basket and down into the base of the bbq...🙄 

Anyway lol... Temp initially rose slowly to 270F-ish and then gradually dropped and settled at around 230F.  I used my Inkbird to monitor temps.

I threw on a spatchcocked chicken that I'd marinated the night before and it was done in about 2 hours. Quite literally no babysitting needed!

Annoyingly though, I got a nasty burn as the silicon cover on one of the bottom vents split (apparently during the cooking, as it was fine when I built the bbq during the week).  When I went to adjust the vent at the end of the cook,  my finger ended up gripping bare searing hot metal... Yowwch! 😣  

Then today (Sunday), I wasn't planning on cooking as we were out for the day (funnily enough we spent an unplanned hour at a bbq store because they had a Kamado demo going on when we wandered by).  However,  that put me in the mood for some 'cue, but with most of the day gone there was only time got a quick grill job. 

So I took the stackers off the Frontier and put the grill right over the basket.   Grilled up some salmon fillets,  skewered prawns and some nice sausages.  It worked a treat!  I can't see my Broil King, Landmann or Weber Smokey Joe getting much of a look-in going forwards!!

Couple of things I discovered that I need to work on though - I'm never quite sure how much charcoal is enough in the basket.   There was loads left after Saturday's cook (I had put in about 3kg of briquettes), so I recycled them for the following day - they were half burned though, is this ok to do?

Also, I need to organise myself a little better - my timings are awful and I can never get everything ready at the same time!

I'm not sure what to try next,  I might get some babybacks this week if next weekend's weather looks promising.  Do you guys still cook in the rain?  Does it affect temps?

20190706_110828.jpg

20190706_125617.jpg

20190706_125931.jpg

Edited by Guitarbloke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Guitarbloke said:

I got a nasty burn as the silicon cover

Email Ian at ProQ I would think that they will send you a new silicon cover,  also watch out for the spring clips they get hot if you decide to take a section off.

Couple of things I discovered that I need to work on though - I'm never quite sure how much charcoal is enough in the basket.   There was loads left after Saturday's cook (I had put in about 3kg of briquettes), so I recycled them for the following day - they were half burned though, is this ok to do?

I started a dry run yesterday using the SF all I put in was 14 heat beads,  using my Inkbird I got to cooking temp very quick.  when you have finished cooking close all vents and the fire will go out leaving you with fuel for the next time,  and yes it's ok to do this.

Do you guys still cook in the rain?  Does it affect temps?

It will affect the temp if out in the rain,  use a gazebo or like I use the garage up & over door as it sticks out about 4' making for a great cover.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Ice!  

Yeah, those spring clips can get pretty toasty!   I'll drop Ian a line and see if he can help out with the silicon cover :) 

Right, well it sounds like a gazebo might be the order of the day - hopefully 'er indoors won't mind me keeping it up the whole year round, as I'm not planning on using the oven ever again!!  :yahoo:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Guitarbloke said:

Do you guys still cook in the rain?  Does it affect temps?

The first couple of times I used my Frontier was our lovely weather in early June, where it chucked it down most days – even had a hailstorm one afternoon! The temperature plummeted after a few minutes of that, down to about 125-150 from 250-275. So now I use an old fishing umbrella that I slot into a parasol base which protects my smoker from the rain but it's still high enough above it to let the smoke circulate. 

Edited by sub333
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Guitarbloke said:

I did struggle to put the full water pan into the Frontier directly over the lit coals, and ended up sloshing a load over the charcoal basket and down into the base of the bbq...🙄 

I put the sections on top of the coals once they're ready, add the water pan, then use a watering can filled with warm/hot water from the tap to fill the pan up from the external door - seems to work OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sub333 said:

The first couple of times I used my Frontier was our lovely weather in early June, where it chucked it down most days – even had a hailstorm one afternoon! The temperature plummeted after a few minutes of that, down to about 125-150 from 250-275. So now I use an old fishing umbrella that I slot into a parasol base which protects my smoker from the rain but it's still high enough above it to let the smoke circulate. 

That's a great idea - It'll certainly keep things going until I can convince the missus that I 'need' a BBQ shack ;) 

Edited by Guitarbloke

On 7/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, Guitarbloke said:

I did struggle to put the full water pan into the Frontier directly over the lit coals, and ended up sloshing a load over the charcoal basket and down into the base of the bbq...🙄 

Best method is... Light your fire in the base, place the waterpan in the stacker, then lift the whole stacker by the side handles and place this on to the base.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mack said:

Best method is... Light your fire in the base, place the waterpan in the stacker, then lift the whole stacker by the side handles and place this on to the base.

Haha!! Ok well now I feel pretty silly!!  

In hindsight that's so obvious!  🙈😂

Thanks Ian!!! 😁👍

• Like 1

As well as rain the other things that can affect the temperature are wind and (would you believe it...) the sun

Try to position your smoker in a sheltered spot as a wind will quickly cause the temperature to drop. Also if you start your smoker in the shade and the sun moves round so that it puts the smoker in full sun, you can see the internal temperature increase by as much as 20 C.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Wade said:

As well as rain the other things that can affect the temperature are wind and (would you believe it...) the sun

Try to position your smoker in a sheltered spot as a wind will quickly cause the temperature to drop. Also if you start your smoker in the shade and the sun moves round so that it puts the smoker in full sun, you can see the internal temperature increase by as much as 20 C.

Thanks Wade, that seems like some sound advice!   

I think I know the perfect spot, there's a little decked area to the side of the conservatory where it'll be shielded from the elements on 3 sides - that ought to do the trick!

• Like 3