Morrisons - La Hacienda Seattle Compact Kamado

Phlashster

So i accidentally put one of these in my trolley just now. It slipped in when i was reaching for a packet of digestives.

Original price £175, reduced to £140, now on clearance to £90. Worth a play at that price. 

These are a Morrison's special order, so La Hacienda don't have spares. I am not too fussed. Other places have spares and accessories for this size. 

It is a 33cm grill, so a couple of inches bigger than the Lidl/Aldi mini Kamado recently sold. Nice thick bars on the grills, stainless too. 

It comes with a deflector plate, secondary grill and ash tool. Mine was undamaged and fitted together well. I am not sure that the bolts will stay done up for long so will be mindful to check often. 

Its ruddy heavy, made me put a bit of a sweat on assembling and moving it. 

No time to play tonight, I am working away as of 5am. I will update this thread once something has been cooked/cremated.  

IMG_20190701_174211.jpg

IMG_20190701_174222.jpg

IMG_20190701_174240.jpg

IMG_20190701_174252.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Phlashster said:

So i accidentally put one of these in my trolley just now. It slipped in when i was reaching for a packet of digestives.

You need to be careful of that Phil, it can get you in deep s**t  with the SWMBO.  I'd also think about suing Morrisons for it happening.  m0139.gif   m0139.gif

Ice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Actually Ice, i think it is all her fault anyway. She should not let me go out unsupervised. 

Morrison's are at fault only for stacking digestives anywhere near the BBQs. A small slip involving a special trolley and assistant to lift the heavy item can happen in the blink of an eye. 

No, it's definitely the fault of her who must sometimes be disobeyed. 

Phil.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

No, it's definitely the fault of her who must sometimes be disobeyed. 

We've had SWMBO for a long time on forums....so perhaps it time we started SWMBD ??? m0140.gif  

do you think we'll get away with it?? shhh

Ice.

• 5 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Secla said:

picked up one of these myself, reduced again to £60 i couldnt refuse

It's a great piece of kit for it's size....suits us just being the two of us...I'll light it up this afternoon and there will be two sirloins going on for about 2 mins both sides...:yahoo:

Ice.

27 minutes ago, Hudd said:

Hello, I picked one of these up yesterday - QQ - where would you put a water pan? If the heat deflector is slotted underneath the grate there’s no room, would it go right onto the firebox? Cheers

You don't really need a water pan with a kamado, by design they tend to retain internal moisture.

• Like 2

Just dropped into the forum this afternoon and saw this thread and had a run to our local Morrison's. No sign of any Kamados, so I bought the missus a bunch of flowers which meant I had to go through the tills and there, was the last lonely Kamado sitting all alone, it was meant to be !

Got some pork belly burnt ends on the go now to season it in. Struggling to get the temp down to 275°F though, seems to like sitting around 310° but I've nudged both vents almost shut, air vent is open "a gnat's ball hair" now and we'll see how that goes. The temperature gauge is within about +10° according to my Maverick, at the lower temps anyway.

Pic is of 2 hours in, running about 310°F.

20190801_200209.jpg

• Like 2

You were in the right place at the right time that little kadado was waiting on you.......:thumb1:

8 hours ago, jockaneezer said:

Struggling to get the temp down to 275°F though, seems to like sitting around 310°

I had the opposite yesterday....I did a couple of sirloins and she wouldn't go over 220c...I struggled to get her to 250c,  then gave up and popped them on.

I've found 300c just right for steak, any other time as you said she will hit 300c with no bother....the only thing I can think of,  is I used some coco briquettes I have left over instead of lumpwood???  we'll see what happens on Sat??

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

briquettes arnt advised for kamados due to the chemicals used in them, not sure about the coconut ones !

how are you guys putting a drip tray in when using the deflector ? cant find anything shallow enough

Edited by Secla

Not using a drip tray at the moment, but will maybe make a dropped steel deflector plate for it when my plasma cutter arrives from Germany next week !

As for getting the temps low, I found it really slow to respond to the vents, but worked out that if the temp was a bit high, I just closed down the vent a bit more, then opened the kamado for 10 to 15 seconds and this let the excess heat spill out and things regulated a lot better then.

I was using Big K lump wood charcoal and there was about half of it left after a 4 hour cook. I managed to get the temp up to 590°F with all the vents open to try and pyrolyse the spills.

Main disaster was that I didn't have any bbq sauce to finish the pork with, so I used some plum and hoisin sauce in a foil tray and the bloody stuff turned to cinder toffee in no time. Managed to salvage a few bits off the top though, just all part of the learning curve with new equipment.

15 hours ago, Secla said:

briquettes arnt advised for kamados due to the chemicals used in them, not sure about the coconut ones !

@Mack from Pro Q confirmed that their Cocoshell briquettes are fine in kamados. I have used some in mine with no issues. They generate little ash. (to be fair, i have used lumpwood too)

15 hours ago, Secla said:

how are you guys putting a drip tray in when using the deflector ? cant find anything shallow enough

I haven't used a drip tray yet. I have covered the deflector in foil and let juices drip onto it. I haven't done a long, low n slow cook yet, so it hasn't been an issue. I cooked a couple of batches of chicken at 190C on less than a bowlful of charcoal. So probably 4 hours total. I am sure it will be great for low and slow too but would benefit from something to catch the juices. I have picked up some stainless steel with the intention of fashioning something to hold a tray lower than the deflector slot on the grill. I will get to it at some point. 

It's my first kamado experience and it has been really good. I can definitely see a large kamado in my future.  

Phil.

Ok, got a handle on the temps with today's go. I just relit the coals that were left in the bottom, spog'd some chicken wings and set it off. I'm not keen on the likes of Frank's hotwing sauce, too vinegary and a bit too hot, so I sauced with some Bulls Eye chipotle sauce i got from Sainsbury's and the wings were delish. Starting to think I could do with a bigger grate now !

20190803_172448.jpg

• Like 2

Easier to catch temps on the way up than try and get back down for sure. Not as forgiving as some other smokers that way. 

I did a couple of reverse sear sirloins tonight.

IMG_20190803_163118.thumb.jpg.b2c0f962f3b9d42db1c6e7a32982d1d6.jpg

Seasoned only with salt. Smoked at 110C until 49C internal. Then removed to rest, while the kamado went nuclear with all vents fully open, then back on for 2 mins per side to sear and bring up to medium rare. 

MVIMG_20190803_172615.thumb.jpg.ecdd8f7e741aa722459d2da0e3f48b58.jpg

Perfectly cooked. Beautifully evenly coloured and juicy. 

My wife is now approving of the investments made this year and we have started talking about some kind of shelter to extend our cooking possibilities. 😀

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phlashster said:

I take it you are enjoying it Hudd! 🤣

Just out of interest, what have you been using before this? 

Phil.

Tepro Biloxi £150 grill, loads of mods, needs attention every 30 mins unlike this which just rides for hours - LOVE IT!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 10:02 PM, Hudd said:

Tepro Biloxi £150 grill, loads of mods, needs attention every 30 mins unlike this which just rides for hours - LOVE IT!

Just got one of these grills from Morrison’s for £60. Not used charcoal for a few years, so any tips would be welcome.

Also what’s the best cover for it ?

10 hours ago, mecarr said:

Not used charcoal for a few years, so any tips would be welcome.

Welcome to the forum Mecarr.

For the charcoal go for the better quaily,  try restaurant type.. CPL & Bookers sell it around £12 for 12kg.
Cover wise for the mini Kamado....Homebase do a few different sizes mine just sits in the garage.

Ice.

12 hours ago, mecarr said:

Just got one of these grills from Morrison’s for £60. Not used charcoal for a few years, so any tips would be welcome.

I don't have a properly designed cover for mine at the moment. I have been using a re-usable garden waste bag (polythene woven) which the legs stand on to keep it pinned down.

I need to get something more permanent sorted though but I am thinking of a sheltered, roofed area for the kit longer term.

Phil.