Jump to content

Video Review - Grilling Wood BBQ Wood Chunks


ExclusiveBBQ
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Just got done reviewing a rather overlooked part of the smoker's kit - the wood. I've ordered and used a ton of stuff from Amazon (I'm a Prime addict) and this was one of the things that I thought was review worthy - especially as it cost me £20 for a huge box of quality wood chunks.

Here's a link to the full review on my website but I've put a video here too - enjoy!

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Really nice video. You have a talent for it, well done

Just an observation I only use smaller chunks and smoke much less time than that, i believe the smoke only really penetrates for the first hour? Not sure. @Wade @Smokin Monkey

Totally agree with this, one of those chunks cut in to two would suffice for me, try and keep the meat damp to start off with by spritzing with water and or apple juice to ensure a great flavour of smoke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Really nice video. You have a talent for it, well done

Just an observation I only use smaller chunks and smoke much less time than that, i believe the smoke only really penetrates for the first hour? Not sure. @Wade @Smokin Monkey

Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

 

29 minutes ago, allyby58 said:

Totally agree with this, one of those chunks cut in to two would suffice for me, try and keep the meat damp to start off with by spritzing with water and or apple juice to ensure a great flavour of smoke.

I find that the meat tends to have a slather of something on it pre-rub so I'm not too worried about moisture until some time into the cook. Then, as the bark starts to form, it does start to look a bit dry so I'll spray it with something (usually water and vinegar). I've read that the moisture helps the smoke 'cling' and better adhere to the meat.

I've chopped a few of these chunks in two and can't actually notice a difference with the amount of smoke flavour I get, but I may need to experiment more. I suspect that the type of smoker comes into consideration as well - these bigger chunks have been fantastic for my kettle barbecue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a box of this, and although feel it is good value for money and well seasoned and smoulders for a long time, once soaked. Even with three good chunks of their cherry wood, it does not impart anywhere near as much smoky flavour to the meat as only half the quantity, of cherry chunks I use from next doors tree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sotv said:

I have a box of this, and although feel it is good value for money and well seasoned and smoulders for a long time, once soaked. Even with three good chunks of their cherry wood, it does not impart anywhere near as much smoky flavour to the meat as only half the quantity, of cherry chunks I use from next doors tree. 

That's interesting, I'm going to have to check out some more options I think. The majority of my experience has been with wood chips and I've found them lackluster or giving off too much smoke. What I found with these bigger chunks is that they gave off a consistent, 'clean' looking stream of smoke which is 100% what I was after. The oak imparted a nice flavour too but I'm keen on trying some Apple or Hickory chunks too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...