My quest for beef brisket in the UK

On 3/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, Skagg2000 said:

Fruits of my labour.....

10hrs open smoker, 4hrs texas crunch, 10hrs wrapped & rested. Melts in the mouth, although i'd have preferred more smoke ring (used hickory & apple) but the flavour is balanced nicely with the SPG rub I put on it 24hour before smoking.

IMG_20200309_122408.thumb.jpg.3ea84a717b1c1fdead353d158f39b40f.jpg

IMG_20200309_122741.thumb.jpg.90649652cd970d56752c5a2f165d76d9.jpg

IMG_20200309_123558.thumb.jpg.f67a44cb3f027f631f2a4fb3ee172839.jpg

IMG_20200309_123407.thumb.jpg.6004b4318f09622743c24e93351398f4.jpg

IMG_20200309_122544.thumb.jpg.41d9c15d4a92b516addce3a0583d3406.jpg

The pictures don't really show how moist the joint was.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Nice! Did you approach it any differently due to being a grass fed joint? Did it taste any different or have a different texture to grain fed?

Wondering whether I might give one of these joints a go

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/brisket-love/angus-hereford-briskets-ireland

I know this is probably blasphemy on this forum but buying british (or even Irish) beef is a heck of a lot better for carbon footprint, and grass fed is much better in that respect too.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had chicken avocado and boiled egg ! So you can stick your Brisket in your pipe and smoke it ! Metaphorically speaking 

Right, here are some pearls of wisdom about the merits of grass-fed beef vs corn-fed beef from the Hawksmoor book that I've summarised  (the book is excellent, btw – loads of great recipes and a great

Great synopsis! And totally agree with the pork reference . I love it and share that same abbotoir as Justin . And the pork is sublime .  The problem the USA has is the number of people and speed

Posted Images

Hey everyone, i've used Turner & George multiple times now. Can order Points, Flats or the whole packer. Ordered whole packer this week and it looks fantastic - going on the smoker tomorrow. The point i've bought and smoked before and turned out very well. They leave plenty of fat on which is good. Its the closer i've seen to what it looks like the americans can buy so easily!

Only issue is they are a touch pricier than the local butcher - £60.00 for a 6kg brisket, which then requires a bit of trimming...

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=brisket 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:02 PM, dl8860 said:

Nice! Did you approach it any differently due to being a grass fed joint? Did it taste any different or have a different texture to grain fed?

Wondering whether I might give one of these joints a go

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/brisket-love/angus-hereford-briskets-ireland

I know this is probably blasphemy on this forum but buying british (or even Irish) beef is a heck of a lot better for carbon footprint, and grass fed is much better in that respect too.

Ive cooked one of those and it was fine. A bit over-trimmed out of the bag to be honest and a little light on the marbling. I injected it with beef stock, especially in the flat and it turned out perfectly respectably. Very good flavour.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I've found a farm near me that sells their own beef, pork and lamb and have ordered a packer brisket from them. Had to explain what it was and include photos but hopefully it'll be great. Not picking it up until they get their most recent slaughtered cow back from hanging next week but I'll keep you posted. I'm based in Colchester.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Justin said:

Thx, let us know how you get on and the packer you get mate. There are quite a few members around this region that would be interested I think.  

Yeah, will let you know. It's my first brisket so not sure how much my opinion counts but will post photos of how it looks when I get it and obviously post smoking

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Deano said:

Have unpacked the brisket. It's my first so have nothing else to compare it to, unfortunately. It's a big old piece of meat!

IMG_20200807_165121031.jpg

IMG_20200807_165031586.jpg

Needs a bit of trimming, but looks a nice piece of meat 

• 7 months later...