Lidl mini kamado 6th June £79

Raptor72

On 8/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, Phlashster said:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/terracotta-plant-pot-saucer-23cm_p843163

9.05 inch. £2.80. (Weirdly more than twice the price of a larger one!)

Phil.

Hi Phil, 

You got any pics of what it looks like on the grill?

Did you drill any holes? 

How does it sit in/ on the firebox?

Keen to try this myself but not sure how it would need to sit

Ralph

Edited by WinginIt

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

Hi Don & welcome to the forum.  

If everything looks ok then run with it 👍  Don't know of any dummies guides as such...there's a fair bit posted about the mini Kamado, do you bbq already?? you don't need many coals for them, I think I use about 7 or so.

I have ours since last year and think it's the dogs doo-dars for cooking just for us two....they cook steaks a treat..

Ice.

Ice.

Hi mate and thanks for your warm welcome. I do bbq already but the world of kamado is brand new to me. i will give it a go this weekend and see how i get on. think i'll start with a chicken..

Thank you, that's a good point. I do have a couple of unused terracotta dishes like someone else mentioned about - i might give that a go and see how i get on. If not, i'll get one ordered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DON said:

hi everyone,

picked one of these up this morning. any signs of damage i should be looking for just in case? 

i looked on the inside with everything emptied out and it doesn't look like there's any issues, same with the exterior.

looking forward to getting going this weekend, is there any dummies guides available?

If it looks on inside it should be good to go. The one I had were either obvious smashed (firebox) or long hairline crack. There will probably be crazing on the glaze outside, but this isn't really anything to be concerned about. 

Enjoy it, they are great fun for all sorts of small cooks.

Cheers n Gone Nick

After some internet research about exploding terracotta, I did some blue Peter style crafting.

Given the great price of the kamado, I didn't want to eclipse the price with expensive accessories. 

After reading the post higher up about using sand. I had a dig around the house and found an appropriately sized cake tin.

I used some old skewers to bend hooks so the tin hangs into the firebox and leaves a nice gap for airflow. 

I'll fill it with sand and probably wrap it in foil to keep it all together. 

Will report back after my next low and slow. 

20200521_175941.jpg

20200521_175932.jpg

20200521_180006.jpg

• Like 2

I picked one of these up today and in really pleased with the apparent quality for the money. The one thing I struggled with was keeping the temperature low. It wanted to sit around 250⁰ and took ages even fully closed off to drop. Any tips. Fewer coals? I just can't see why the airflow controls didn't really do anything.

25 minutes ago, doof205 said:

May have answered my own question. It's been going for 4 hours, still has fuel and is cruising nicely at 130-140. You really don't need much coal!!!

54 minutes ago, WinginIt said:

After some internet research about exploding terracotta, I did some blue Peter style crafting.

Given the great price of the kamado, I didn't want to eclipse the price with expensive accessories. 

After reading the post higher up about using sand. I had a dig around the house and found an appropriately sized cake tin.

I used some old skewers to bend hooks so the tin hangs into the firebox and leaves a nice gap for airflow. 

I'll fill it with sand and probably wrap it in foil to keep it all together. 

Will report back after my next low and slow. 

20200521_175941.jpg

20200521_175932.jpg

20200521_180006.jpg

Looks good. Let's hope it's not to snug and allows a good air flow whilst maintaining a good indirect heat. If not, lakelands do a enamel plate that fits a treat. 

Cheers n Gone Nick 

2 hours ago, hoogl said:

Nice, what deflector plate did you go for? I just ordered one from Germany that was linked previously and they have a new drip bowl I added on. 

Happy Ramadan. 

Thanks

i ordered one from the a link in the ‘Budget Kamado’ group on Facebook. It’s the steel smoking deflector. I was thinking about the one from Germany but went with the steel smoking one because it will arrive sooner.

below is the Ebay link but you can buy direct for cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323898447957

Hi All, just joined the forum to so a question about this grill as I was amazed today when I saw a Kamado for only £79 in Lidl. 

As well as being a great BBQ, I've always seen a Kamado as a good alternative to a Tandoor. Does anyone know how hot this Kamado can get?

Thanks

So i use mine as a tandoor, i can get about 450F from it. it's a balancing act though. to many charcoal / briquettes & you have to much heat in the lower section which burns the meat & of course you are limited to only a few skewers due to it's size. That said, i found a couple of skewers loaded with meat & half a potato on the end to prevent burning with around 10 briquettes seems to product enough heat without burning to yield good results.

There is a post on this forum somewhere about my experience with pictures

Found it 

Cheers n Gone Nick

Edited by Skagg2000

9 minutes ago, Skagg2000 said:

So i use mine as a tandoor, i can get about 450F from it. it's a balancing act though. to many charcoal / briquettes & you have to much heat in the lower section which burns the meat & of course you are limited to only a few skewers due to it's size. That said, i found a couple of skewers loaded with meat & half a potato on the end to prevent burning with around 10 briquettes seems to product enough heat without burning to yield good results.

There is a post on this forum somewhere about my experience with pictures

Found it 

Cheers n Gone Nick

Thanks Nick. Bet it would be good for cooking naans as well then

1 hour ago, hoogl said:

I always thought it was better to use Lumpwood in a Kamado. Although both will work fine the Briquettes produce more ash and usually in the Kamado especially the mini there isn't alot of room. 

So in general I use briquettes only on the basis they are consistent in size which helps with the small space. I agree they would be no good for long burns in the mini chef due the the ash they create which would eventually smother the fire. If I can be bothered I go through a new 15kg bag of lumpwood & sort out the large bits & small bits. The small stuff gets saved for the mini Kamado & the large stuff for the ProQ / Fornetto. It's a rather messing process though!

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

They can be found online albeit it a bit expensive. I found a metal fabricator locally with a plasma cutter & they cut one for me from 4mm mild steel for a tenner.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Any links? I have found by a few but not 100% on the measurements needed as I'm new to kamado. I too purchased the Lidl grillchef. And might I say your deflector looks great!!