Lidl mini kamado 6th June £79

Raptor72

Hi Onetrack & welcome to the forum...we bought one of these last month and found that it's a great  bit of kit. We want a plate for the mini but I don't like the thought of paying almost half as much again for it, one guy on here said about using a terracotta plant tray, may look into that.

Ice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0netrack said:

so many option! Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I'm tempted to start with a simple s/s plate and see if I can cut to shape.

Hi Onetrack, 

Welcome! 

I don't have a Lidl mini, but i do have a La Hacienda small unit. It comes with a ceramic deflector that sits under the grate but I am looking at doing something different that will allow a drip tray. 

My main comment is, do you need stainless steel? Mild steel is used for planchas and the the food is in direct contact with those. So surely a mild steel disc would be enough and somewhat cheaper. Albeit not rust resistant. Maybe useful for a prototype?

I have seen others use a terracotta plant saucer and some steel straps to achieve this too. This is my current thinking. Covered in foil, this would act as a mini drip tray and be easy for cleanup.

Phil.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phlashster said:

Just to add, this is the size of terracotta saucer for my unit. Just £1.30. Got to be worth a go.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/terracotta-plant-pot-saucer-25-5cm_p874995

Phil.

looked at those, but the Lidl mini is only 10".....and you need a small gap around to help with heat & smoke to pass.  I think we'll pick one up thou just to give it a go.

Ice.

4 minutes ago, Icefever said:

looked at those, but the Lidl mini is only 10".....and you need a small gap around to help with heat & smoke to pass.  I think we'll pick one up thou just to give it a go.

Ice.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/terracotta-plant-pot-saucer-23cm_p843163

9.05 inch. £2.80. (Weirdly more than twice the price of a larger one!)

Phil.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Icefever said:

Just ordered a pizza stone off Amazon for £9....will have to trim it down to fit on the tile cutter but that's no problem...:thumb1:

Ice.

Hi Ice,

I'll be interested on your method to achieve this. I bought a pizza stone yesterday with a view of cutting it down to a diameter of 190mm which proved harder than I thought with the Rotozip. I managed 75mm or so before i ran out of bits. It was seeking a solution that brought me to this forum! I'm currently using an enamel plate suspended on galviband partially filled with sand, it works but isn't ideal.

The Lidl's mini Kamado is a nice little play thing, although it took 3 attempts to get one in one piece with no cracks from our local store.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Morning Skagg & welcome to the forum mate....these mini kamado's are a little bute.  Can't remember I think it may have been @Smokin Monkey who did it??? anyway all I'm going to try is cutting straight lines in the stone using an electric wet tile cutter. 

I'll cut small sections off until I'm near the size I think it needs,  it should finish up looking like the old thruppenny Joey 😄  the tile cutter  has cuts through think floor tiles like butter so hoping it's going to work???

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

Blimin eck, that was a lot harder than i expected. I gotta diamond disc from the local builders merchant, but it was still a bigger job than i expected. I'm exploring getting a mild steel plancha made up from a local business in Newton Abbot. It's mainly for my lad to play with as i won't let him loose on the ProQ or Fornetto yet!

Either way the ceramic disc is an improvement on the enamel plate we used previously.

IMG_20190807_231618.thumb.jpg.f333d7f62945e7711a79e246b3fd9798.jpg

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

So I popped into the metal fabrication shop today. Gave them the spec, 190mm x 5mm mild steel with a 16 x8mm hole so I can use my ProQ plancha T bar to lift it out. A bit of seasoning and we should have ourselves a mini Kamado plancha for less than a tenner..Picto follow 👍

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

Here it is. Cost a tenner. I got them to cut a hole out to use the ProQ T bar for removal too.

IMG_20190817_095534.thumb.jpg.f56473f24dda72fb8389b78c07ce4071.jpg

Does anyone know of a dutch oven that fits in the Mini Chef Kamados?

Cheers n Gone Nick

Thread here on a couple of Lodge Dutch ovens that fit in the Joe Jr, may help you with your Lidl one? The last post shows 2 different ones with different configurations with photos.

The dimensions of the 2 quart (smaller one) are 24.99 x 22 x 8.99 cm according to Amazon US site (available to import into the UK), if looking for an alternative brand in the UK

I have the Lodge L8DD3 mentioned in the thread and it easily fits a whole large chicken in to give you an idea of its size, if looking for something along that capacity and it fitted?

As mentioned in that thread the thermometer probe is likely to be the problem, when it comes to a choosing a dutch oven.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 7:42 PM, tedmus said:

Recieved my deflector from Germany eventually last week, not had chance to use it yet but looks and feels decent.

I was looking at this deflector plate but don't fancy paying half the price of my Kamado for the deflector (including shipping). I have the opportunity to get one made up by a metal fabricator for free from 3mm mild steel so just curious what are the dimensions? (circle diameter, leg height and over hang) as this looks like it fits perfectly. 

23 hours ago, hoogl said:

I was looking at this deflector plate but don't fancy paying half the price of my Kamado for the deflector (including shipping). I have the opportunity to get one made up by a metal

fabricator for free from 3mm mild steel so just curious what are the dimensions? (circle diameter, leg height and over hang) as this looks like it fits perfectly. 

@hoogl

The La Hacienda one is larger than the Lidl one, but check this out. 

Just figure out how big you want the disc and use the stainless steel cupboard hooks i found.  :)

Phil.

Edited by Phlashster

I came across this company in Holland that makes a Mini Kamado which appears to be the same/similar dimensions to the Lidl one. 

https://thebastard.com/product_en/the-bastard-small/

They also have a range of accessories (From another supplier) including a CoverCast Iron Grate and Plate setter I'm not sure if they ship to UK.  The only official retailer here BBQLand only appears to sell the large one. I'm not sure if they would stock the smaller ones especially if enough people email/request them too.  

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, BBQ novice said:

How did this one work out?  I've just bought the same BBQ on sale a year later...  I'm worried it would make the grill layer too high, but it does look the business.

Edited by JustForLaughs
Clarity

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I brought this bbq at Lidl for £39.99. I also brought an enamel dish (£7.99 for two) which the smaller one fitted perfectly,  pushed up to the top with space underneath. Any thoughts about enamel being tough enough?

Hi

The enamel should be tough enough for cooking low and slow in the kamado. And up to normal oven cooking temperature. The only thing I would be concerned about is airflow. You have to have good airflow around the pot to maintain the cooking temperature you want. So I would make sure that you have space around the pot for the air to go round it to the top vent.

Nigel

P.s the enamel will have some discoloration from any smoke from the fire it can be scrubbed off with a wire wool pan scrubber and plenty of elbow grease