Lidl mini kamado 6th June £79

Raptor72

Well, just outside Stratford but wellsbourne is an area i know. 

We eat outside so much; it just makes sense for me to get something better and I cannot afford a Big kamado - so the little one seems great - used it twice already and only got it on saturday. 

Looking forward to giving it a real good work out over the summer and into autumn.

need to look at some sort of table for it like i have seen for Kamado Joe Jr

• Like 1

So.... a couple of cooks in and I am very impressed ! And for £79 (plus some accessories) it is amazing. And no issues with quality or ease of construction.

Firstly, the Big Green Egg "plate setter" for the Mini fits very well. With the supplied grate sat on the "legs" it sits just above the rim.

With the plate setter in it will sit at low and slow temperatures for a remarkably long time. These ribs were about 6 hours. And I had enough charcoal left for the baby chickens below. Just gave them a rake and lit it up again. Due to the small size it heats up really quickly, and if you used a gas gun it would be even quicker. 

These beef short ribs were very good and really held temperature well at about 110C for a long time with very little fiddling. About quarter of an inch open on the bottom and half a hole on the top. 

For the price it is hard to complain however some things to note....
  • Three ribs or two poussin are about the limit. It is small of course
  • Very little space between place setter and grill so a water pan / drip tray has to be very short
  • You do need to stand it on a table or something
  • With indirect heat I found it difficult to get past 120C. Perfect to low and slow, but the chickens needed finishing on the gas. I think it is maybe that the airflow in the hole in the fire thing (cup, box, bowl ?) was restricted by too much charcoal.
  • The Big Green Egg cast iron searing grate will fit this. Although is almost as expensive as the egg itself for some pretty grill marks.
  • An ash removal tool is helpful, as you can just rake the coals, scrape some out of the bottom slot, and you are good to go.

IMG_20190615_170931.thumb.jpg.78d733f7910c60f533b7ceb0e8231500.jpgMVIMG_20190616_115048.thumb.jpg.46f62298d65db41568c57f29d9221d35.jpgIMG_20190616_182318.thumb.jpg.a0548c039813f876eadcdfaf7e2d0b95.jpgIMG_20190623_170137.thumb.jpg.f97f3d948ccbe854006d33cd58975fa4.jpgIMG_20190623_173433.thumb.jpg.aff98f640a9ff56ac1e2983426876f64.jpg
  • Like 3

Very nice, I'm keeping my eye on them. I'm near a few lidls during the day and one of them has 5 still in stock (i think they started with 6) I'm waiting to see if they knock £10-20 off them as I remember Aldi doing similar last year with the BBQ/oven one they had last year. I'm thinking it would compliment the WSM nicely. 

• Like 1

My local Morrisons selling the La hacienda Tabletop Kamado (33cm) for £90 reduced from £175 they were selling it for 6 weeks ago (not sure if store specific or national)

Evidently they have reduced the full size one down to £280, none in my store, so once again maybe store specific.

So far i have cooked a Shoulder of Lamb and a Spatchcook chicken;  Along with the usual family bbq fair on the griddle. 

So far the Lamb was great; cooked at about 130 for 4 hours - shredded lovely. the Chicken was nice and moist and is being used for week day lunches while at work.

The quest for a heat deflector continues/ i used a terracotta plate. but due to it being glazed and modified by me it cracked but did a half decent job. off to the garden centre this weekend for a pot plant holder

hi i have a kamado and am a member of another american kamado site some of the advice in have read there  

if you don't have a heat deflector a small circular metal oven pan filled with children's play sand will double as a heat deflector then to make a rack to put it on use an unpainted metal coat hanger and make a triangle with it and bend it over the edges of the fire bowl.

Edited by ndg_2000
  • Like 1

We're at the campsite for 10 days looking after it so our friend can go on holls.  We've taken our little kamado...I was blown away with how this little cooker preformed ... Came up to heat in about 10 mins, cooked two large jacket spuds, onions and two Angus steaks, which turned out great.

I think this kamado will suit us fine.

IMG_20190710_154344454_HDR.thumb.jpg.fb12329ea5718cc88c5e189923b6b719.jpg

IMG_20190710_154423093_HDR.thumb.jpg.83502ffcec00604dd5d6d796d9640335.jpg

IMG_20190710_155936216.thumb.jpg.87741cf4ae68a7cc112307ebf8ae990f.jpg

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tedmus said:

Deflector was EUR 19.90 but shipping was EUR 15.90 so all in came to £32.21. 

Not bad, Unfortunately Amazon has ruined me. I pretty much expect free shipping all the time now. I often forget that it actually costs money to ship items. 

Even with the extra plate it's still cheaper than buying the Landman one (they are both landmans?) so a good deal

Well the local Lidl had taken a tenner off the Kamado so I it may have fallen into my trolley that I purposely picked up. 😁

Unfortunately haven't had a chance to break it in all weekend . But hopefully will get to soon. 

• Like 2

Yeah I've been itching at the bit to try it but I've had gardening to do first. How do you store yours @Icefever? I've got a shed for my WSM to live in but there isn't enough room for this. I am wanting to get a new shed with a overhang to the side but that's a year or two off. 

22 hours ago, Icefever said:

At the moment mate she stays in the spare bedroom, but I'm hoping to make space in the garage so she can sit on a worktop.

Ice.

I hope the missus doesnt know you talk to about her like that. 

On 7/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, tedmus said:

Deflector was EUR 19.90 but shipping was EUR 15.90 so all in came to £32.21. 

Link to purchase please?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site, I bought the Kamado in Lidl over the weekend (for £69 in Helston, Cornwall - I only went in to find a bbq grate to cook on a fire pit...), then found this site so thought I'd register! Like everyone else I was sceptical, but really impressed when I used this, it was the perfect excuse to have enter the normally expensive world of Kamados .

It worked great with some skewers of fish, haloumi, vegetables and prawns, but  it was fiercely hot even shutting the lid and reducing the air vents (and I was a little impatient to get started). I tried some new potatoes on there but without reducing the temperature enough and without a deflector - a few minutes and they were charcoal!

So now I'm looking at deflector plates, and also I'm considering getting Grillgrates  on the basis that I can cook over very hot coals without flareups. In terms of size, I've measured the inside of the bowl and it looks like it is just under 11 inches. I thought I'd share my research on the various options.

I've found the following deflector plate that looks like the one in the video posted earlier, it has a 30cm diameter so it may be a little tight:

http://www.kamado.co.uk/YNNI-Universal-Stainless-Elevator-with-8-Pizza-Stone-TQAPP206-for-14-grill-or-similar-TQASJ14_p_88.html

The smallest grillgrates are 11", which may also be a tight fit:

https://www.grillgrate.co.uk/grillgrates-for-your-grill/portable-grills/grill-grate-kit-rounded-11-wcobb.html

Alternatively, someone is selling this on ebay (for this price though I'd probably buy the machine plate from wlanthermo-shop.de)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323832394155

And in fact you can buy a 3mm stainless plate on its own for around £12-15, to then find your own clamps or  even cut to shape:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//291579436700

so many option! Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I'm tempted to start with a simple s/s plate and see if I can cut to shape.

• Like 1