Tri-Tip.

Icefever

15 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

Hehehe ... I need to get my ass to one of these tailgates. 

Phil.

You have two great chances over the next two months, first is the BIG Woodsmoke 19 at Billing next month, and the second one being the 1st Midland Tailgate in the middle of Aug.

If you're into camping it's easy, just set up whatever caravan, trailer or tent, get the bbq out and start cooking. Doing it along side by side with folks you get to put a face to,  is also fun.

Watch folks prepping food and getting everything ready, then the cooking, while this is happening most folks sit down to take a breather and sink a drink or two.
The main day is Sat when it all comes together, the food is set out on a table and everyone helps themselves.

Ice.  m0122.gif

• 2 weeks later...

@Icefever Picture of a lovely looking tri-tip that was cooked using the smartfire on @smartfirebbq on facebook. Doesn't necessarily need the smartfire but gives you the cooking temp and internal temps he used (9th June) no good at screenshots unfortunately

Not sure 600F searing temp would be achievable on a proq, but would imagine just base and lid with plancha or grate over coals would get reasonably close to that,  If it only needed a short time of cooking at the temp?

Edited by sotv

@sotv  cheers.....are you trying to get me into trouble with the memsahib again....m0139.gif I can do that all by myself.. 😉

A screen shot is easy mate, on your pc should be a button with "prt sc" should be on the top row near the "delete" button.  Hit that, you won't see anything happen, it stores the shot on the clipboard.  I open Window paint that gives you a blank canvas, hit the "paste"  top left and it should appear,  hit the "save" tag and you save it wherever you want.....desktop, folder.

Smartfire.thumb.png.e2f250c470fa009be6b530dbfce17c8b.png

Nice to see folks using Smartfire....I'm going to have to build up brownie points then I may stand a chance....m0139.gif

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

Wasn't trying to plug the smartfire to you. Just thought you may be interested in the temps they cooked it at. 600F seems a very high heat to sear for most smokers though. Maybe stand a better chance of doing that on your mini kamado if the tri tip fitted on that?

Plug away mate I need all the help I can get....🤣...  spot on witht the temps, and with me going F on the next cook saves me converting.  I think I've see a video where a guy does a tri tip on a frontier,  and I'm sure he finished searing it by the way you said.....down to the firebox, grill on and on went the meat for a couple of mins both sides.....will see if I can find the video.

Ice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Distunging said:

I've never heard of a tri-tip before! What cut of meat is this please??

i get mine from Bookers..https://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/productinformation.aspx?code=998864&settype=03&categoryName=308154&CSUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.booker.co.uk%2fcatalog%2fproducts.aspx%3fcategoryName%3dCS18_201320%26view%3dUnGrouped%26multi%3dFalse..

It's called Beef rump tails...if you have or know somebody with a card your ok...not all Booker C&C's do stock it thou.  Your local butcher maybe able to help if the Bookers link is no good for you???.

Hope this helps.

Ice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Icefever said:

i get mine from Bookers..https://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/productinformation.aspx?code=998864&settype=03&categoryName=308154&CSUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.booker.co.uk%2fcatalog%2fproducts.aspx%3fcategoryName%3dCS18_201320%26view%3dUnGrouped%26multi%3dFalse..

It's called Beef rump tails...if you have or know somebody with a card your ok...not all Booker C&C's do stock it thou.  Your local butcher maybe able to help if the Bookers link is no good for you???.

Hope this helps.

Ice.

Thanks Ice! I'll keep an eye out for them. I've been pondering Beef Shoulder/Clod as a brisket alternative as well :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Distunging said:

Thanks Ice! I'll keep an eye out for them. I've been pondering Beef Shoulder/Clod as a brisket alternative as well :)

Worth considering chuck roast as a good alternative for brisket also. Had a couple from Morrisons, usually come in between 3-4kg in size, done burnt ends and whole with them. Very beefy flavour and pretty juicy if eaten on the same day as cooked. I think Brisket tastes better cold than the chuck though for leftovers.

• Like 2