Woodsmoke 19 Ideas for Menu.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

I was going to do smoked bread pudding but as Rosemary is doing bread pudding I will rethink.  It will be nice to have a dessert selection.  I usually do egg custards in sous vide, and creme brulees

Didn't mean to start an egg custard debate 😀 Interesting though you can do it by sous vide. I normally bake mine for about 45 minutes @ around 170C with nutmeg, which is just about achievable in my proQ with no heat deflector I would imagine?

If anyone has a ProQ Frontier and thinking of buying the plancha and wants to try oit out first to cook themselves breakfast on the Saturday or fry something up on the Friday night, let me know and i will will bring mine along. I won't be using it as the goat can take 9-11 hours to cook on the day so won't be feasible for me and will be entertaining the granddkids in the clubhouse on the Friday night.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sotv said:

Didn't mean to start an egg custard debate 😀 Interesting though you can do it by sous vide. I normally bake mine for about 45 minutes @ around 170C with nutmeg, which is just about achievable in my proQ with no heat deflector I would imagine?

According to Ty @ Pro Q, with the plancha as a deflector, and all three bottom vents open, you can hit 350F which is 175C :)

Phil.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

According to Ty @ Pro Q, with the plancha as a deflector, and all three bottom vents open, you can hit 350F which is 175C :)

Phil.

Got 325F so far with lumpwood, but with the smartfire blowing over the hot coals, a higher temperature would be achievable i would imagine? Will probably try it out over the summer for an egg custard

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Great idea Steve,  I'm interested in having a look and maybe try it out :thumb1:

Ice.

Will bring it along then, if anyone wants to use it on the Friday night, they are welcome to use it on my Frontier on the Friday night, but will need it on the Saturday morning.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 1:41 PM, Justin said:

There is going to be lots of meat looking at the above,and not every one has said what they are cooking yet.... too much?> I say this because at the last one, I took 2 meat dishes back home to cook as there was way too much.  What do you think?

Suppose I could cook a Paella instead of a ham as taking my Plancha?

• Like 1

Mate, I think cook what ever you want but  we have quite a bit  of waste sometimes.  I think you may be right though, a paella instead of another lump of meat gives a nicer variety...plus paella often tastes really nice the next day so doggy bags? Up to you. As long as  you do goat too!  Tasty Goat

• Like 1

It is just me i think, that is why I am doing salads sides breakfast and dessert, we can 't all sit there drinking whilst half a pig is smoking away! Seriously mate, do what you fancy doing,. it is just my opinion, I do not like to see wasted food

• Like 1

Woodsmoke19 is THE BIG EVENT of the year for us,  add into that, that Billing is a smegging big campsite we did well last year to have almost all what food was left used by our fellow campers.
If we have food left over we get to take it back home so what??  we came away from Brew'N'Q with two large boxes of meat it was great...as Justin said bring a doggie bag
Folks sort out what sides go with whatever dish they cook, so if too many sides are laid up will they not go to waste also???  then what will it show to others when we say "help yourselves" and all they see is a load of salad.  🤢

Just my 2 cents.

Ice.

• Like 1

One thing I have been thinking about for this year is workspace, prepping tables?? last year we seemed to be a little bit tight, I felt at times we were getting in each other's way....so we will be bringing a prepping table as both Rosie & I are both cooking.

It seems only fair to us, not to take up valuable space from others when we need to prep our dishes.

We will also bring our gazebo with the net sides again, great for laying out the finished dishes at eating time...also another gazebo for a seating area where we can chew the fat a while.

Ice.  m1205.gif

• Like 1