Smoker vs Kettle BBQ

Tarmac

11 hours ago, RobD1976 said:

Hi guys, I’m new to this stuff. I am keen to smoke something meaty and need help.

i have a Weber master touch. My understanding is I fill on side with charcoal add wood blocks or chips, place a water pan on top of grill over the heat meat on cold side and a drip tray under. Open bottom and top airflow the. Put lid on and leave to smoke for 4 hours. 

How often do I need to add coals etc ? And is this right?

Hi Rob if you put Low And Slow Weber Kettle in Youtube you will get a good bit of basic advice. It’s useful to understand how the low n slow process works so you know what to aim for. The rest is a lot of trail and error. I only this year managed a 10 hour cook on my Weber Kettle. 

• 7 months later...

Hi - I know I'm way late to this discussion, and this question is slightly off-topic but related.

I've always kind of wondered what kettle barbecues are for, and still not really clear on their purpose. Can someone please elaborate for me? Are they intended for one thing over another, or are they a good hybrid that can be used for direct grilling and indirect smoking?

I'm curious as I've always had oil drum style barbecues. I like with them there is a large cooking area, and a warming rack which hangs in the lid too, which you don't tend to get with kettles. I purchased a WSM at the end of last year for those long slow smokes, and I've previously been using a Landmann offset smoker (but with that, I've mostly been using it to add smoke flavour for a few hours, but having to do the bulk of the meat cook in either the over or the sous vide). I also bought a second cheap oil drum from Argos last summer, primarily for quick direct grilling when I'd run out of space on my Landmann.

I guess I'm curious what the benefits of a kettle are over a bullet smoker or oil drum barbecue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome on board and extraordinary counsel from Wade. Anticipating your mods to customize the amigo, it is conceivable and not very testing I think, following Wades focuses bit of boring and you are there.

fact= smoker vs bbq

Edited by Smokin Monkey
Admin edit to remove external links