Jump to content
valve90210

QMaster Lite ATC - Thoughts and opinions

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

HI Steve, 

 I have this one readily available, what other particular ones will be of use and ill grab them?

 

Ta

Stu

Capture1.PNG

It looks like it is mounted far enough down. I presume the vent on the front is closed?

The pit probe, where is that set? Is it set on the cooking rack using the probe clip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-reading your earlier post, it might be possible to fit a 22mm ball valve in line, (between fan and WSM) this will also give you another angle of control.

8C74F24C-C768-4B43-BCA6-4E5DEF70FA0A.thumb.jpeg.75c2c64cd83476ecff7855eb8f823b06.jpeg

The Qmaster Light has a bigger brother The QMaster, and with that you can alter the fan speed from 5% up to 100% running speed, it might be that when it runs at 100% there is too much air going in causing a spike in temperature, then after time it falls, then kicks in again, giving a Shark Fin type of graph.

688A75E6-2E3A-4241-9345-04862DDF6E1B.thumb.png.01686349eda4ab5b851d341ac4ddfb48.pngExample only!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, I have been thinking about similar, I emailed the seller and he also reccomende i slide a piece of card or metal inbeteenthe fan and the mount, I've also realised that my WSM is very leaky so i bought some gasket and a cajun bandit door last night to really try and get it sealed up. also trying to confirm the thread that is on the fan bracket, i think its a 1/2" as i have a few thoughts running through my head..

 

Stu

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So ive been thinking further on this, whilst i drilled a 22mm hole, the internal airflow hole is only 15mm which got me thinking

The way i used to run pre qmaster was all three vents at circa pencil width (with qmaster all lower vents were fully closed) which is likely a larger open area (albeit ambient air only being drawn in rather than blown) and I would also suffer from similar swings although over a much longer duration.

Based on this and how I pretty much had to shut the top vent to keep under control im wondeirng if during the start and getting it upto temp the fire just spread too much

@Smokin Monkey / other owener

  1. Do you usually use the qmaster lite and allow full fan? 
  2. Do you use whilst the WSM is getting up to temp?
  3. What coal method do you use - ive been using minion ever since i bought this but with air only coming in from one location, im wondering if this is best anymore.

Mised your comment earlier but both probes (thermowork smoke and qmaster are in the same probe clip sat right next to the meat.

All this said, I now have the following ready to go with the following bits after the seller confirmed thread was metric so 15mm (but woriking out that 15mm and 1/2 will be interchangeable for this purporse - probably not air/water tight but no pressure so figure will be fine.

1/2" coupler

15mm Lever Ball - important note is to make sure its full bore to not restrict your max airflow

Elbow - not really required but figure it might help get the air underneath the coals.

I need to get hold of a second 1/2" coupler which will both join the ball lever and the elbow and also that will form the clamp on to the WSMbut until then i can just use the nuts it came with ( the one shown nearest to fan will be swapped with a diff one puely there to keep the fan and lever lined up)

MVIMG_20200511_161923.thumb.jpg.70c16eff27c77a2e6cdbf500868b264b.jpg

Edited by Stu
spelling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stu said:

So ive been thinking further on this, whilst i drilled a 22mm hole, the internal airflow hole is only 15mm which got me thinking

The way i used to run pre qmaster was all three vents at circa pencil width (with qmaster all lower vents were fully closed) which is likely a larger open area (albeit ambient air only being drawn in rather than blown) and I would also suffer from similar swings although over a much longer duration.

Based on this and how I pretty much had to shut the top vent to keep under control im wondeirng if during the start and getting it upto temp the fire just spread too much

@Smokin Monkey / other owener

  1. Do you usually use the qmaster lite and allow full fan? 
  2. Do you use whilst the WSM is getting up to temp?
  3. What coal method do you use - ive been using minion ever since i bought this but with air only coming in from one location, im wondering if this is best anymore.

Mised your comment earlier but both probes (thermowork smoke and qmaster are in the same probe clip sat right next to the meat.

All this said, I now have the following ready to go with the following bits after the seller confirmed thread was metric so 15mm (but woriking out that 15mm and 3/4 will be interchangeable to this purporse - probably not air/water tight but no pressure so figure will be fine.

3/4" coupler

15mm Lever Ball - important note is to make sure its full bore to not restrict your max airflow

Elbow - not really required but figure it might help get the air underneath the coals.

I need to get hold of a second 3/4" coupler which will both join the ball lever and the elbow and also that will form the clamp on to the WSMbut until then i can just use the nuts it came with ( the one shown nearest to fan will be swapped with a diff one puely there to keep the fan and lever lined up)

MVIMG_20200511_161923.thumb.jpg.70c16eff27c77a2e6cdbf500868b264b.jpg

Hi Stu, another deciding factor is, how big your pit is, the smaller the pit the more air per cubic feet you are putting in compared to a bigger pit. (If that makes sense)

1. This depends on which Pit I am using it on, but smaller pits I restrict the air flow.

2. I do not have a WSM, but what I do is set the controller 10’C below my desired operating temperature, then see how much over shoot you get, then set to desired temperature. You my find it over shoots by 10’C, so doing this takes this over shoot out of the factor.

3. I would fill charcoal basket, leaving a well in the middle, then add about 3/4 of a Charcoal Chimney Stater.

The elbow facing downward is a good idea then the will have to rise through the Charcoal Basket rather than feed just one side. The only thing you will have to look out for, is blowing ash around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

3. I would fill charcoal basket, leaving a well in the middle, then add about 3/4 of a Charcoal Chimney Stater.

 

3/4" that seems like a huge amount compared to normal minion, i though for low and slow and mnion method is more like 10/15 briquettes, i guess you just light more and then let the air flow control the burn..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hijack the thread, but would you say this is a worthwhile purchase for 90 quid delivered? Comes with a large battery pack, spare probe and additional speed controller.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is that a special bundle? i didnt see that when i was ordering,  have you factored in the VAT as i got hit for that on delivery (seems most do) and then a royaal mail handing charge which was near double that again. £6 VAT and £8 RM charge after i just checked.

after using it a handful of times I have to say i'm not 100% convinced i needed it, and its not fool proof, during this weekends cook with a temp of 230c set it actually dropped to 201 when it was raining a little. i know this will test its capabilities but it never managed to pump in enough air to get it back up, i had to shut it off, and open all the vents to allow it to work, I was restricting the airflow with the lever ball about 50% probably so clearly hamperig its abiity but no more than you will be with the spee controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stu said:

is that a special bundle? i didnt see that when i was ordering,  have you factored in the VAT as i got hit for that on delivery (seems most do) and then a royaal mail handing charge which was near double that again. £6 VAT and £8 RM charge after i just checked.

after using it a handful of times I have to say i'm not 100% convinced i needed it, and its not fool proof, during this weekends cook with a temp of 230c set it actually dropped to 201 when it was raining a little. i know this will test its capabilities but it never managed to pump in enough air to get it back up, i had to shut it off, and open all the vents to allow it to work, I was restricting the airflow with the lever ball about 50% probably so clearly hamperig its abiity but no more than you will be with the spee controller.

Not a deal, a friend of a friend is selling their kit. Comes with the kamado adapter which almost seems pointless to me as those things are ridiculously solid when it comes to holding temps. In not really buying it to use now but when I finally get around to doing brisket, I think it will come in handy. Wouldn't be using it on my kamado rather my Fornetto Razzo 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why not do the brisket on the Kamado? i'd rate it a 3 star i think currently, 4 if you are only going to use in steadyish weather or if smoker will always be dry, if you dont already though I'd make sure you have a decent pit thermometer with alarm capability so you know whats going on.

 

good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stu said:

why not do the brisket on the Kamado? i'd rate it a 3 star i think currently, 4 if you are only going to use in steadyish weather or if smoker will always be dry, if you dont already though I'd make sure you have a decent pit thermometer with alarm capability so you know whats going on.

 

good luck!!

Thanks! Appreciate your input. Going for the smoker rather than the kamado as it feels like I learn more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...