Great Weekend for the BBQ

Simon

Will look them out and wish them all the best...the gazebo to the left is where the guy from LA was prepping the ribs.  Also had a taste of some of the US rubs & sauces that he brought from home, he was telling us the UK customs were curious about why he was bringing them into the UK for... m01100.gif

Ice.

What a weekend!!!!! we made the decision to go about  0700 on Fri morn....we are so glad we did....for all those that didn't make it,  put next years in your diary now.

Sat the sun shone all day it was great talking to the teams, having a pint with @wade, then going back to the hotel all happy and ready for bed.

Got up this morning, weather not too bad, a bit grey but dry.  After breakfast, we set off to drive the 10 mins to the site.  Parking we walked in and started chatting with a couple that we have met yesterday, who was in the comp today.

Walking on around the site we stopped at our LA guys gazebo to wish him luck,  where we were asked if we would like to volunteer to help in the Judges tent??  At first, I thought "no way"....but Rosemary said "why not it'll be fun"...so I agreed.  m0108.gif

We made ourselves known with one of the KCBS reps who were brilliant,  Rosemary had the job on the "grazing table", which turned out to be the best job going.  We came away with enough meats to feed a family for days.

I had the job of checking along with a KCBS judge the team's number, then allocating another number to their box of food before handing it to another KCBS guy who put it in a tray ready to go to a numbered table for judging. This way two folks check all the numbers, that way no mistakes.

We made our farewell to Wade and everyone else,  bought a box of coco briquettes that almost every team there were using and arrived home happy and tired,  glad there's no work tomorrow.

Ice.   m0114.gif

• Like 4

Just a few photos as promised from the event...

20190525_160825.thumb.jpg.b335a06ea20a68e73c21922d9b17742c.jpg

Chewing the fat over a pint...Wade, Rosemary. Mel Rhodes and 4 or 5 other KCBS judges.

20190525_140919.thumb.jpg.abb5d87624cae3cbd0acdb0b19b3fd06.jpg

Rosemary found the ribs or brisket when the teams serve up their food to the public.

20190526_132251.thumb.jpg.fe6dac28d50b1d9f2e73190732fdf7a8.jpg

Some of the teams from Holland, Belgium, Canada, I think from Italy also, all in there were 37 teams.

20190525_140923.thumb.jpg.ee5d0f8b1a3bb71fe99d4cd79db81a1b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Looks a lovely weekend in my part of the world currently. 

Going to fire up the smoker on Saturday and do some Poor Mans Burnt Ends and some basic Scotch Eggs

Nice! What's your burned ends recipe? I have a piece of rolled brisket that I'm going to unroll and smoke. I presume it won't take nearly as long as doing a fat piece...?

3 hours ago, sotv said:

Looks a lovely weekend in my part of the world currently. 

Going to fire up the smoker on Saturday and do some Poor Mans Burnt Ends and some basic Scotch Eggs

I’ll be interested in how you do Scotch Eggs. Set a thread up on that if you do it please. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

I’ll be interested in how you do Scotch Eggs. Set a thread up on that if you do it please. 

I will take some piccies if I remember and set a thread up if they work. It is very basic, but going to follow this recipe Bought some Tesco Premium Sausage Meat and I will coat it in Bulls Eye Smokey Bacon Sauce . Not done it before but it looks easy enough on paper (famous last words) 😁 and the runny yolk makes it look very tasty, if i manage it.  

1 hour ago, sub333 said:

Nice! What's your burned ends recipe? I have a piece of rolled brisket that I'm going to unroll and smoke. I presume it won't take nearly as long as doing a fat piece...?

Going to use this recipe Once again not done this before and not sure why it is called Poor Mans Burnt Ends, Chuck cost me more than Brisket would have? But I like Braising Steak, which all Chuck is.

Got a piece just over 1kg and will follow the recipe but use a homemade rub of Salt + Pepper and Onion granules and a teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes. In place of the beer I will use a couple of spoonfuls of some of the ready made beef Stock you can buy in the big pots and use Bulls Eye Roast Onion Sauce to coat them at the end. 

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

you could sous vide the eggs for a accurate softness or Use one of those cheap egg steamer that you add exact water to so a steam the eggs to exact consistency?

On 5/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, Icefever said:

Just a few photos as promised from the event...

20190525_160825.thumb.jpg.b335a06ea20a68e73c21922d9b17742c.jpg

Chewing the fat over a pint...Wade, Rosemary. Mel Rhodes and 4 or 5 other KCBS judges.

20190525_140919.thumb.jpg.abb5d87624cae3cbd0acdb0b19b3fd06.jpg

Rosemary found the ribs or brisket when the teams serve up their food to the public.

20190526_132251.thumb.jpg.fe6dac28d50b1d9f2e73190732fdf7a8.jpg

Some of the teams from Holland, Belgium, Canada, I think from Italy also, all in there were 37 teams.

20190525_140923.thumb.jpg.ee5d0f8b1a3bb71fe99d4cd79db81a1b.jpg

Looks great ! Woodsmokeforum team next year ??? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Bought some Tesco Premium Sausage Meat and I will coat it in Bulls Eye Smokey Bacon Sauce . Not done it before but it looks easy enough on paper (famous last words) 

Rosemary does them with pigs pudding in the centre,  we have a friend who doesn't like the eggs in them but loves the piggie ones.

Ice.

• Like 1

That is two if us. Looks like a anglia and southeast team Mick, Simon, Raptor and I?  Then do some practice session?  See if we are up to it, I think we can easily be.  then enter a smaller comp to find our feet?  I am doidng same on home brew. my first attempt on ipa seems to be good

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mick said:

Would be great to enter a team, it was a fantastic weekend, the quality of the food was amazing 

You got to try it all....m01100.gif  but with Rosemary, on the grazing table, we came home with 2 boxes full.  m0121.gif

Ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

That is two if us. Looks like a anglia and southeast team Mick, Simon, Raptor and I?  Then do some practice session?  See if we are up to it, I think we can easily be.  then enter a smaller comp to find our feet?  I am doidng same on home brew. my first attempt on ipa seems to be good

I would be game to give it a go. We’ll probably get trounced but what the hell. You never know...well we do know it won’t be first place 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2