2 tsp onion granules

2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground allspice

1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped

3 tsp salt

2 tsp black pepper

8 tbsp olive oil

Directions

Set up your BBQ either with a rotisserie attachment, as I’ve used, or for indirect cooking at 190-200˚C/370-390˚f

Place the chicken in a large bowl and, in a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together really well. Don’t worry about the amount of oil. Its purely there for marinating purposes and won’t all end up in the finished dish.

Pour the marinade over the chicken thighs and mix everything together thoroughly. You want every bit of chicken smothered in the paste. I like to get my hands in there but I recommend wearing a pair of disposable gloves if you do.

Leave to marinade for at least a couple of hours, overnight is best.

If you have a rotisserie I find that attaching one fork, holding the bar vertically and threading the chicken on from the top works best, so far as having a nicely balanced doner goes. When all the chicken has been threaded on, slide on the second fork and make sure both are tightened up snugly against the chicken. I also like to use a bit of ‘scaffolding’, and I take some metal skewers and insert them on each side too. This stops any stray pieces flopping about while it’s on the rotisserie and keeps it nice 

Now place the chicken on the rotisserie and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165˚f/74˚C. It took about 1 hour 45 minutes for this particular cook, however cooking times will vary depending on the size of your chicken thighs. I usually check it after 1 hour, and every 15 minutes after that. If you feel it’s browning quicker than you’d like, just wrap a piece of foil loosely around the meat. 

We serve it sliced straight off the spit into homemade flatbreads stuffed with salad and our favourite sauces.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Lovely, though I use chicken breast marinaded 24 hours in yogurt and spices left in fridge.  Ends up texture of bread when cooked. Love the variations, will try thighs next time.

Edited by Justin
typos
  • Like 1

Guest homer
8 hours ago, Justin said:

Lovely, though I use chicken breast marinaded 24 hours in yogurt and spices left in fridge.  Ends up texture of bread when cooked. Love the variations, will try thighs next time.

dont you find leaving the chicken in the yogurt for that amount of time "cooks" the chicken? and ends up a little dry

Guest homer

maybe try leaving the chicken in the marinade over night and adding the yogurt 30 minutes before cooking..you never know

• 9 months later...

Cooked this today following the recipe in the OP above, on the Jumbuck Rotisserie for myself and 4 others thought it was really excellent finished piece of meat and packed with flavour. Definitely do this again (love the burnt bits the most) served with toasted pitta breads filled with salad and mayonnaise along with the chicken.

Used less than half of the cooked chicken after filling 12 pittas, will use the rest in a paella tomorrow.

Took just over 2 hours to cook to 170F Picture taken 30 minutes before being ready to serve

IMG_20190506_124657546_HDR.thumb.jpg.5f81de3c14aae274d4f7d1834c882c8a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Looks fantastic, never done it myself but will give it a go.

Well worth it, and the marinade works really well with it. Expected the tomato to be dominant flavour from the smell and colour of the marinade, but it goes into the background and the lemon and cumin shine through for me. 

Just run the knife down the finished chicken and it cuts and crumbles into bite size pieces, just like the kebab shop :hungry-2:

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sotv said:

Cooked this today following the recipe in the OP above, on the Jumbuck Rotisserie for myself and 4 others thought it was really excellent finished piece of meat and packed with flavour. Definitely do this again (love the burnt bits the most) served with toasted pitta breads filled with salad and mayonnaise along with the chicken.

Used less than half of the cooked chicken after filling 12 pittas, will use the rest in a paella tomorrow.

Took just over 2 hours to cook to 170F Picture taken 30 minutes before being ready to serve

IMG_20190506_124657546_HDR.thumb.jpg.5f81de3c14aae274d4f7d1834c882c8a.jpg

That looks fantastic. Well done. I made something similar a couple of weeks ago and agree that it’s like the kebab shop. Family couldn’t believe I made it. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...