Hywel

Bacon for beginners

Live and learn. Clean hands or latex gloves?  Try again. I do not worry how much liquid is in bag it really depends on the meat you have

Sometimes I get loads sometimes just a bit.

Posted (edited)

I didn’t get a lot of liquid to be honest . I wonder some pork joints have added water 

Edited by Raptor72

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay getting back. Busy day!

Thank you for all the replies. I took another look at the meat (didn't chuck it out immediately this morning) for a proper post mortem when I had more time. Took both out of the bags and rinsed thoroughly. My observations as follows:

- the one with maple syrup smelled the worst and felt the most 'tacky'/slimy. Also had the most discolouration. Possibly some of this could have been a by-product of the syrup flavour/texture?

- when rinsed the smell was far less pronounced. Could almost convince myself it's just maple-y.  But almost certainly background notes of something not quite right, though.

- juniper/bay cured one much less dubious. Slight discolouration. Quite pleasant notes of bay/juniper!

I've attached photos of the bacon out of bag and rinsed. I'm going to hang them for a couple of days, just to let nature take its course. Figured I'd still learn something watching how they developed over the next couple of days, even if it's to see what bacon going bad looks like and what signs to watch out for next time.

Someone asked about how well sealed the bags were. I don't have a vac pac but used the 'straw in the bag to suck out the last bit of air' method. I'd say there was hardly any air in there at all and good all round contact between meat and bag. Certainly no big air pockets. 

Thanks for all the recommendations for the kits. Will definitely check them out!

Thank you!

20190323_173939.jpg

20190323_175633.jpg

Hi Hywel,  can I put my 2 cents in?? do another batch but stick to a basic salt & pepper cure.  with no vac-pac have you tried the "sous vide way"  of expelling almost all the air from the bag by lowering it into a pan of water??  

It is difficult to diagnose any problem from a photo,  but give it another go, keep it simple and it should,  will be ok. m0110.gif

Ice.

Hi Ice.

That's a welcome 2 cents. Thank you.

Yes, a more basic cure would be sensible. And I love the elegance of the sous vide method! Never thought of that! I imagine that works really well! Good tip. Thanks!

• Like 1