All grain brewing

Justin

My beer has been fermenting for 3 days in the fastfermenter at 20 to 21 degs c. it was bubbing away beautifully. Just changed the bottom and cleaned out of trub at least I thought it was trub but looked awful like yeast. Hmm anyway, took a sample for hydrometer and tasted it, definitely beer lovely and can taste alcohol, strong. Can not figure what I am reading on hydrometer but it is in the black where is says bottling. It has only been 3 day. I m going to leave it for another week.

Edited by Justin

Hydrometer is reading 1010 which is the end gravity according to my recipe. I did not measure the start gravity but it should have been 1040. Who knows what is really is. I will make sure I do not miss that step on next time.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 12:41 AM, Icefever said:

It's an interesting hobby,  I started with kit brews way back....maybe 30 years ago....Muntons did some good kits that were drinkable.  https://www.muntonshomebrew.com/

Like a load of guys I did the same route, kit, BIAB, the 3 pots,  even bought a Braumeister  https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/home.html now that was the dogs do-dars. At 1 time I had 9 cornies, C0s, and an old tall fridge made into a Kegerator.

Sold the Braumeister about 4/5 years back, along with 6 of the cornies, still have the boiler, mash tun, 2 fermentation fridges, and bits & bobs. 

Now I have a large garage with elec, running water, I may dust it all off and have a go, nothing would be better than a glass of craft beer along with a rack of ribs on a nice summers day.

My favourite brews are the Trappist brews, love them, but they are another step up the ladder, with double yeasts,  and all the works. One beer that a friend & I did get very close too was a French beer called Pelforth..https://souriredessaveurs.com/en/1595-beer-pelforth-brown-french-65-25-cl.html

Just a few old photos from my past....

A brew in the Braumeister

20170320-104802.jpg

Yeast starter on the stir plate

20151001-122331.jpg

Inside the outhouse brewery..

20160127-103737-1.jpg

Ice.

Have you brewed anything recently mate. i did my 2nd brew on Sat. I have and am learning loads.Water treatment is going well, the Grainfather makes things so easy.  Exmoor Gold Clone fermenting since Sat is bubbling away in the pharmacy fridge @Raptor72gifted me. Looking lie it wil peak out in bottles at 4.9% rather than 4.6 but that is  fine as I was litre short on the sparge as I liquored down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2543164289051400&set=pcb.2118725724905168&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARB-Seh23h9fw_YCu4FNjYhnegYC4ITXalyPPwvTKPrao9To4jQV2wWg0-UOXrCWsx-EAjkYFFXc0EUo

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

No photo description available.

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, indoor

• 3 weeks later...

@Mick

It will be great to see you getting back into brewing mate and joining in with my adventrues in all grain. I am going to put  simple cider soon and I  have  a mild fermenting and and exmoor gold clone conditioning in bottles

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

@Mick

It will be great to see you getting back into brewing mate and joining in with my adventrues in all grain. I am going to put  simple cider soon and I  have  a mild fermenting and and exmoor gold clone conditioning in bottles

Lovely thanks, the cider sounds interesting, not done it before