Justin

All grain brewing

I can ask my mate Robert hart hart brewers he is Northampton though? 

What about shalford brewery? 

I brewed  beer doing the kits . Always wanted to do it properly but have my hands full with the Bbq and smoking stuff at the moment . 

11 hours ago, Icefever said:

It's an interesting hobby,  I started with kit brews way back....maybe 30 years ago....Muntons did some good kits that were drinkable.  https://www.muntonshomebrew.com/

Like a load of guys I did the same route, kit, BIAB, the 3 pots,  even bought a Braumeister  https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/home.html now that was the dogs do-dars. At 1 time I had 9 cornies, C0s, and an old tall fridge made into a Kegerator.

Sold the Braumeister about 4/5 years back, along with 6 of the cornies, still have the boiler, mash tun, 2 fermentation fridges, and bits & bobs. 

Now I have a large garage with elec, running water, I may dust it all off and have a go, nothing would be better than a glass of craft beer along with a rack of ribs on a nice summers day.

My favourite brews are the Trappist brews, love them, but they are another step up the ladder, with double yeasts,  and all the works. One beer that a friend & I did get very close too was a French beer called Pelforth..https://souriredessaveurs.com/en/1595-beer-pelforth-brown-french-65-25-cl.html

Just a few old photos from my past....

A brew in the Braumeister

20170320-104802.jpg

Yeast starter on the stir plate

20151001-122331.jpg

Inside the outhouse brewery..

20160127-103737-1.jpg

Ice.

You do not surprise me Ice. Nice one. 

I have now finally committed to the garage being cleaned up and electric supply and lights being put in. Leecy coming along next week

Then I can set up my little microbrewery and my bbq supply freeezer. 

The microbrewery It will consist of a fridge with a glycol container in and a pump to feed the mash cooler and the fermentation cooler.

The Mash Tun will be electric Klarstein or Grainfather  Robobrew etc, the fermentation I think will be conical like fastferment maybe  in a insulated box or loose jacket that allows for a cooler radiator and a heating lamp (reptile) that will be connected to my pid controller with heating and cooling power outputs to control the light and glycol pump from temperature probe source. and then keg

I have thought of the fermenter being pressured too so it closed loop to keg but rather than gravity, looks easy enough but i expect it will be more complicated, no need to commit to that at the start, as easy conversion.

Project  started, though it may take little time to purchase the various items, think I will  start with the cooling element as far as equipment is concerned.

Step one is rubbish to tip, step two clean, then tables supports  shelving etc...

Cleaning i think as no water supply in garage that I will have larger container with steriliser in, then can use a pump to push though tubing coil etc.  and all small parts can sit in there until needed,  As far as washing tuns and conical and kegs that will have to be done indoors, swimbo is going to have  live that!

Thoughts?

I have decided that a fridge with a couple computer fans to aid heat circulation,  and a space heating tube will do the trick for controller fermenting in the garage year round.

First things first stat clearing out and cleaning the garage  starting tomorrow, Will be getting friendly with the local tip again

Still thinking one brew system like grianfather or robobrew etc of a gravity fed  three tub system. water heater to mash tun to boiler.

Edited by Justin

Looks like you have it sorted Justin......the piggy banks going to take a hit then?? m0140.gif

One question thou,  with no running water in the garage how are you running the immersion cooler ?? is it possible to run a hose from say a garden tap into the garage?

I built two ferm fridges, which I still have,  the one has had the heating element taken out to use as a cheese fridge,  but if you're into building one there's a good post here from the old forum I'm on        http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8555

On 3/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, Justin said:

think I will  start with the cooling element as far as equipment is concerned.

I did a twin coil one.
20150930-124741.jpg
Edited by Icefever

Thanks mate. Water I think I will put a hoselock link through wall and I can connect hose pipe from garden tap on the house. Good idea mate.

Ferm fridge the principle is pretty consistent. Thx for link. I will get to it no rush. Cleahed out garage to day. Go8 g to buy down decent shelving . That will come in handy for storage. Might get a chest too to store materisls. Stop the mice helping themselves. 

Next stage leccy coming Thursday.

Budget. Fortunately i have been saving up for this. Slow build. If I am brewing by summer that will be a good thing.

Great if you can get a hose into the brewhouse,  but what about a drain?? when you run the chiller for the cold crash depending on the size of the chiller it can take a while, and you'll need a drain close by....otherwise, floodville dude.. m0127.gif

I hope your not on a meter?? my double coil would cool boiling wort down to pitch temp in around 20/25 mins....but a tip when you start cooling put the end of the pipe from the chiller into a clean bucket,  you will then get a bucket of very hot clean water that you can use to wash out all the kit at the end of the day.

Ice. m0114.gif

Blimey there is no drain. It is a garage.

Maybe a plastic barrel for the hot water to go into barrel. 

Yes I gave seen the tip for using the hot water output to clean things. I will figure it out there is no drainage.

Actually on the grainfather you can use the water out water to clean it the pipes and pump out. Just add some solution and pump. At least that is the theory. 

I like your link on extending the fridge zone to multiply fermenting. Just figuring out power source for pc fans to have air circulation. How do I get from mains to pc can which I assume is 12v or 9 volt? Do I need a transformer?

Step one achieved. Nice space in garage sorted. Step 2 electric mains be installed later this week hopefully.

Edited by Justin

3 hours ago, Justin said:

I assume is 12v or 9 volt? Do I need a transformer?

Use the old charger from the old laptop...it should have it on the back what the output is...12v/9v....take out the socket in the side of the pc,  fit it in a small plastic box, or make one up.  Take the lead for the fan off that.. I'm not sure why you want a fan?? I've never bothered and never had any problems with a ferment.

Ice.

What old laptop? There is not one. 

The fan is to circulate heat and cooling through the fridge and extension. Air is the medium for the heat transfer so fan will hopefully eliminate hot and cold spots. I would like to have more than one fermenter going at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Justin said:

What old laptop? There is not one.  

You will need a laptop charger to work with the fans....I did this with my stirrer plate.  I know that the fan will circulate the air, but as I said I never did one,  but if you feel it needs one go for it.

8 hours ago, Justin said:

Have you got some photos of your set up?

I lost a load of photos when photobucket wanted to charge...have some odd ones but nothing on the setup.