Beginner needing advice on smoking in bad weather, any help would be appreciated!

goldencrunchs

3 hours ago, goldencrunchs said:

Thank you for your help mate! I was a bit worried about carbon monoxide but there’s a flap at the back of the shed so I think I can get it work. 

Are there any other reasons why I wouldn’t be able to smoke this weekend with the bad weather or is it just the rain I need to avoid.

Also, is there a meat you recommend for a beginner? I want to do brisket but I know it’s super hard so I might do lamb shoulder or maybe a whole chicken?

I went full force first time smoking with a brisket on Sunday. Wow what a great time I had, I used an offset smoker I bought from a guy who made it. Think I’ll look into doing a lamb shoulder next. Enjoy your smoking 

998367FE-5564-4480-AD86-D7E1FE8EFC2D.jpeg

3BF442AD-880C-4759-A623-DD3B647DADEB.jpeg

8802F153-C4F6-48BD-83DB-CBF4912C1EAA.jpeg

6458FFBB-CF05-4C81-A88F-6A9244EBB143.jpeg

• Like 2

No worries dude,  glad we can help.....t1602.gif  

As Smokin said it's all down to which wood you use for flavour.....if I was you for my first time I'd go for briquettes or lump charcoal, then add a small log which will give you smoke along with the heat.  Then if you think you need more smoke add another log.

Using briquettes or charcoal will help you set your temp on the offset,  easier than just logs to start with. Then you can work your way up to just logs if you wish,  I used our big Weber last weekend,  will do the same this weekend, I had 3 bags of heat beads delivered last week...I can now setup under the up & over door of the garage,  built in shelter.  m0121.gif  

Ice.

Welcome to the forum. You wouldn't get these by the weekend, but for future ref if you wanted to try a few different woods, this seller on ebay do 4 different types of wood chunks 14kg in total for £24.50 delivered (includes alder, oak, apple and cherry) and will give you an idea of how different woods can effect a piece of meat and what you may or may not like in the future.

With reference to the pheasant, from personal experience if you brine it overnight before cooking, the finished result will be better.This is one I smoked last year thread

I'm not sure but I think I have Birch dust for cold smoking, did a batch of cheddar just before chrimbo,   as Smokin said click the link about wood and flavours.  It does seem like a lot to take in all at one time, your head will spin, and you will....(maybe)....cock it up,  (like what I did t1949.gif )....but like the old song " you pick yourself up and start all over again"...

Ice.