Giving Your Smoker A Big Spring Clean

SwissTony

We left our smoker outside this winter (the garage has become a home gym). Brought up against the house and had its thick ProQ cover on it.

When I got it out yesterday, there was some mould in there, I guess from not cleaning it properly before putting it for hibernation. I poured boiling water around the sides and gave it a good scrub out. Racks have gone through hot dishwasher and then been scrubbed with wire wool.

There are still charcoal-black and papery bits in there. Would I be wise to give the thing a damn good clean. If so, how do you do yours? I know we're going back into winter here in the UK this week, but I can smell spring (and smoked meat) even in this north-eastern wind.

Maybe just a good burn off before cooking might do the trick especially if the black papery bits are where the charcoal goes....personally im a bit wary of using any chemicals (mainly getting rid of the chemicals 100% after cleaning) in case there is any trace left behind. Racks going through the dishwasher and a burn off would be good enough for me 👍

After a cook I always clean the cooking racks (stainless, enamel/chromium coated ones) inside with warm soapy water and then store them in the house...where the wife doesnt find them haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @AdamGthe

Avoiding chemicals where possible seems sensible. Maybe a good scrape before a burn off sounds sensible. A wash shouldn't cause rust as 4 hours of fire should dry it out.

I think I've got the same racks, and I'm surprised how good they look after 9 years. 

• Like 1

Yeah a good scrape should do a good job👍 A wash would be fine as you say, any moisture will be gone once the charcoal is lit😁 its what I used to do with my old one and that never rusted. You looking forward to winter next week? Haha

• Like 1

I use washing up liquid and warmer and a scraper. Cuts through the built up grease. Always work. Nothing unusual about mold unless you clean before winter and keep dry.  Rinse and then hot burn will then dry it all out. This year I have upgraded grill only rather old but not tired Weber kettle to cast iron. I have been using my target Ranger but after the coming cold snap kettle will be bashing out kebabs and pita bread to start with. 

Looking forward to the spring tailgate to start the tailgate season off. 

• Like 3

I'm close to Glasgow so the Sun is always splitting the sky. 🥶

I find my WSM gets mouldy if Ileave it too long after cooking. I usually give a good wash with warm soapy water dry off then a nice hot fire. I have used Anti Bac spray in it and astonish grease remover which has helped. 

I also leave one of the bottom vents and the top vent open under the cover so there's some air flow, I think that helps along with it being in my mini shack. 

• Like 2