Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'shelter'.
Found 1 result
I saw a recent BBQ Shed on here by @Phlashster and thought I should share mine I build a couple years back. Start of the frame. I wanted to be able to take it apart for the one Sunny day that Scotland has so I used toggle clamps to secure the wall frame so I could take apart with no tools. Also put a deliberate run from front to back so rain would run off. I was going to use an overlapping joint. But went with a Butt joint instead. Sides, back and door attached. I used lift off hinges again to dismantle/open up whilst keeping on the wheelie base. Ran a bead of sealant between the slats to give a little water protection. Shelter in place. The previous owners had mad this handy wee square that was begging for a Smoker/BBQ to be placed. This point is pretty much central in garden so an ideal spot away from neighbours that if it went up in flames it wouldn't cause damage to them WSM in place. Food on. Roof sits about Two inch above frame. Open at Front/Back to allow air flow/smoke to escape. Food Tax - 3-2-1 method on ribs. I can't remember times/temps. I do have a vid/gif of the smoker in action but it won't upload. Overall it's been a great build. I completed it around 11th Nov 2017. So it's lasted almost Two Years. A few things issues though. The Cons The idea of taking it apart so I didn't have a big shed in middle of garden when using during dry days was pointless as I usually just took the WSM out of the shed and placed it where I wanted. The wee clips are nickel plated and haven't held up well to the weather. It also fell apart the first Feb due to high winds. I managed to keep the clamps together by twisting garden wire through the hole to keep shut. The lift off hinges. - I should've used longer ones to support the door and maybe a Z frame. The walls - too heavy for my frame and I should've used a T&G or half lap joint etc (but only had limited tools) as with the weather and the heat from the WSM they have separated/warped quite badly. I Did use a garden furniture oil to help protect the timber. The roof - same as above so I do get water leaking in. Or I should've put a felt on top. The floor - I never got round to building - Had originally planned to use an industrial lazy susan to access vents but don't find the need to adjust once dialled in. Should've put in a hanger for the WSM lid. The Pros It has served me well and I have managed to do at least 4 December cooks including Salmon & Gammon for the last Two Christmas Dinners. It has great robust wheels on it so it moves easily. Once I've Dialled it in I don't need to adjust. The walls/roof act as an excellent wind break. I know use it against the house closer to Kitchen since I'm not worried about the fire risk. Even managed my 16 hr overnight cook in it. Convenient place to hang my wireless thermometer and tools out the rain. It was only a temporary solution until I build a proper shelter next year and SWMBO loves getting year round cooks. Protected the WSM and gave me an additional storage option instead of laying in shed all winter. All in all I've been happy with my build. it's not perfect and I am a clearly amateur DIYer but hopefully it can give others an idea/inspiration and get some year round cooks on the way.