Deal on salmon

Justin

WOW! ASDA have just reduced their whole salmon - for the run up to Christmas I guess. Instead of their usual £6.99 / Kg they now have it at £4.97 / Kg. On average a whole salmon will weigh ~2.5 Kg and so each fish is about £12.50
https://groceries.asda.com/product/salmon/asda-fishmongers-selection-whole-salmon-typically-2.5kg/910000251337

I regularly buy salmon from ASDA when they have it on offer as it is as fresh as I can buy from Billingsgate - and is cheaper too.

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

From Michelle at above "the salmon sides i sell are farmed i can get whole wild salmon but if have to enquire about it" 

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

From Michelle at above "the salmon sides i sell are farmed i can get whole wild salmon but if have to enquire about it" 

It’s really good salmon though I need to pay her a visit 

I went to asda chelmer village , 50 min round trip. I phoned ahead and they said no problem we will keep one aside for you. Got there and the fish monger there said oh sorry i filleted the, 13,50 a kilo.  Damn it. , idiots. 

Left empty handed, not going there again. horrible place

Michelle:

"The whole salmon i do for £12 a kilo; every year christmas time supermarkets sell salmon at a loss to get people in there

Obviously mine is far superior it comes from the docks i collect the same day and deliver the same day I don't add preservatives to falsely keep fresh or freeze and defrost or have sitting on shelves for ages waiting to sell and asda buy  the lowest grade going up to Waitrose who buy a higher grade I buy the highest restaurant quality grade"

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Michelle:

"The whole salmon i do for £12 a kilo; every year Christmas time supermarkets sell salmon at a loss to get people in there

Obviously mine is far superior it comes from the docks i collect the same day and deliver the same day I don't add preservatives to falsely keep fresh or freeze and defrost or have sitting on shelves for ages waiting to sell and asda buy  the lowest grade going up to Waitrose who buy a higher grade I buy the highest restaurant quality grade"

I buy both from Billinsgate direct and from ASDA and the quality of the fish are very similar. I would agree with his comment about quality though with some of the other large supermarkets. The only real difference between Billingsgate and ASDA is the size. At ASDA they only stock fish at ~2.5 Kg but at Billinsgate they are often 3-4 Kg - verging on being sharks!!! . With the larger fish you do get more meat for your money as there is comparatively less waste  and obviously the fillets/steaks are thicker with the bigger fish.

There is always an argument for buying the highest quality however sometimes "quality" it is quite subjective and higher quality for one use may not be higher quality for another. You then have to make a judgement factoring in the cost. If you are looking to bake a salmon side then the bigger the fish (within reason) would be the better option. If you are looking to produce traditionally sliced smoked salmon then the size of the fish (in the 2.5-4 Kg range) is not quite as important. One of the sayings that I was taught from my statistics teacher at school is that "a difference that makes no difference is no difference!"

Yes i realise that, it is just a matter of spending the money.  Buy hat you can  use what you have i guess. I do not need restaurant standard salmon for smoking is what i think at the moment.  So I will smoke some Sainsbury stuff and lets see how it turns out. Will post on the right thread, cheers mate.