Supermarket Pork Loin

markie_q

I try to avoid supermarket meat as much as possible and get it from the butcher's. 

However it's not always possible to get to the butcher's and also can be a little pricey.

Is it worth trying to make back bacon with a pork loin from the supermarket or am I best waiting and trying with one from the butcher's?

I happily use Morrisons Loin and Pork belly for my bacon, from the butchers counter. Good quality meat, they cut the meat to whatever weight I want and take the rind off the belly for me. Often can be had for £5 a kg and usually no more than £6.

I also use my butchers in town as they source some exceptional free range pork from Packington and although more pricey worth the money. Supermarket is closer and easier to get the meat with the weekly shop, than journey into town and pay for parking for just a couple of Kg of meat.

That's exactly the same situation with my butcher's.

Morrisons is just down the road. Didn't think of their butcher's counter. Will get some from there next. 

Got some amazing pig cheeks a few weeks ago from there. 

I was just worried as supermarket bacon is so awful, I was worried id get the same results with its loin. 

Never had a problem with Morrisons Loin, just the right amount of fat cap on top. I always try to get them to sort me out a meaty muscle, rather than fat running through it, as I prefer mine that way. Had 2 rounds of bacon sandwiches using their loin for lunch today, very tasty. Don't even need to add any fat or oil to the frying pan, they just cook themselves.

I get my pork shoulder from there as well they cut the rind off and retie it also. Same with the fish counter, you can always see the fresh whole salmon or trout when they are fresh. (clear eyes and light red blood from the gills) The fishmongers are always happy to fillet it for you and take the pin bones out (although I always double check them when I get home) They fillet it while I do the shop and just collect it at the end. Often on offer around £7 a KG for the large whole salmon or trout.;

I know you need a card for Booker which you may not have,   but their meat is well worth it.  Their loin and belly fit the bill,  their beef is wonderful,  we always spend more money than we think when we go there.  ? .     If you have to look elsewhere for your meat what about a local farm shop. ???

Ice.

A Utility Bill is a must. But how do you do it if you do not have a Business. Get your Domestic Bill, scan it, then make up your business name and impose it on top of your Bill name. Then make a business card and print it out. Take both a long and register. If they ask why the bill is printed, tell them, that you only receive them on line and not by post.

3 hours ago, markie_q said:

Is it worth trying to make back bacon with a pork loin from the supermarket or am I best waiting and trying with one from the butcher's?

There is nothing wrong with the supermarket pork loin. The challenge sometimes is getting a piece big enough and with a bit of a tail. Most supermarket loins are cut for either roasting or for slicing into loin chops.

It is worth looking at the label to check that there is no added water or salt - which there should not be. If they have added either they need to add it as an ingredient.

I only got my card a few months back,  I am self-employed ( which made it easy)  but it was the way the card was issued.  We went to the Warwick store, in through the entrance to the desk, the lady took a glancing look at one piece of info.

She banged a few keys on a keyboard and gave us our cards, it literally took 2 mins.  We were amazed at how easy & quick it all happened. When you think about it thou,  all they want is to get folks through the door to spend money......after all Booker is now part of Tesco.

If your Succesful in getting a card, take a look at their meaty ribs, in the yellow box in the freezer section.

https://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/productinformation.aspx?code=18188&settype=03&categoryName=308260&CSUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.booker.co.uk%2fcatalog%2fproducts.aspx%3fcategoryName%3dDefault%20Catalog%26keywords%3dpork%2bribs%26view%3dUnGrouped

We were introduced to these beauties at Woodsmoke 18 by Wade and Smoking Monkey. We can't wait to get a box sat in the freezer, but we have to wait until after Chrimbo, when hopefully we move home,  no point buying them at the present time.

All the best for getting a card. :thumb1:

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

Interesting I have had a bookers card for years . I usually get the chicken Norfolk supremes . Best chicken ever ! 

I keep pondering about the ribs ( the wife says no room in freezer ) ! 

Tell you what get their rib of beef . One year it was £7 a kg . Absolutely stonking . 

I must explore more of their meat . I went to Morrison’s the other day and was pleasantly surprised at the fish counter and the meat counter .  

Anyone going into Morrisons for the pork Loin, saw some mighty pieces of Pork Shoulder for £2.50 kg on offer, if only the weather looked suitable for a 16-18 hour cook this coming week. Very wet and windy is the forecast though for the foreseeable.

• Like 1