Making Your Own Jam's and Jelly's?

sotv

Couple of recipes I have tried to follow (American) I have been thwarted or found it difficult to source commercially made ingredients on 2 occasions (A Red Pepper and an Apple Jelly) They are clearly widely available in the States but not over here. Had a look and plenty of Red pepper jelly recipes on the net but having never made a jam/jelly before anyone anyone experience of it? 

Are the finished results hit and miss or usually turn out ok, is much equipment and cost involved and is it generally easy to do and what sort of time do they keep for?

Making jam's & jellies is pretty straightforward, Rosie makes all ours, she came home the other day with a bag of apples and quinces.  The quinces will go for jam, the apples may go in the dehydrator or in a pie.

As for the kit, a large stock pot,  long spoon, jam sugar,  pectin, if needed, some fruits have enough of their own and that's about it. You can find tables showing which are which.  Jars that have to go in the oven ready to fill....there will be loads of sites to show you the basics, and the pleasure you have when you put your jam on your own homemade butter and bread is heaven.

I'm sure any questions you have Rosie can help.

Ice.

• Like 1

If you have a large pan that's about it, the cost is in buying the fruit (if you have to) we do the odd bit of foraging we have damsons, apples and plum trees in the fields around here.  The largest outlay is the sugar, but the best point for us in making our own,  is you know what goes in....no E numbers and all the other cr*p that you can find.  

Give it a go I think you'll enjoy it.

Ice.

• Like 1

Tbh I can't remember the last time I had jam, probably a dollop as a kid on my rice pudding many many years ago.?It just seems weird to be thwarted by this one ingredient in 2 recipes in close succession, but it is certainly something I wouldn't use as a regular food source in my household, just for finishing sauces.

I did manage to get a similar version of it made by Baytree, but wasn't readily available in my local supermarkets and had to delay making them for 2 weeks till I could get to the place that sold it.   It gave the ribs a lovely finished appley flavour, though so was worth the effort. As you say the red pepper one is difficult saw it on Amazon but a nearly £10 a pot, that is what got me thinking about making my own...

7 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Blow me down on the next row down there's a pepper jam..  https://www.tiptree.com/index.php/hot-pepper-jelly.html   

Would these work for the recipes you want??

Ice.

I don't really do heat, was thinking more along the lines of Red Bell Peppers (something like this minus the chilli). Holland & Barrett do a Red Pepper Ajvar that is more of a paste than a jam but may work as a substitute. That is a 5 day along with minimum order click and collect rather than in store so ended up needing forward planning as well.

Edited by sotv