UDS No2

I'm putting ideas on to paper. now I'm no good at drawing plans or whatever. I usually just get stuck in, but I want this to be spot on. My question is I'm using tank connectors to fix the air intakes....maybe 35mm may go for 42mm. I'm thinking about adding two lengths of pipe on the inside to run under the fire basket, these will have 4 or 5 10mm hole drilled out. My theory if it holds out is the fresh air is delivered underneath the fire instead of around the outside of the basket??? Thoughts please if any of you guys have tried it and found out that it makes no difference.

I've phoned the place in  West Brom about the drum today, we're going to pick up this Friday, brand new never been used, not painted  £30.  Saves all that burning the paint off the inner and outer layers. All I have to do now is order a few bits off JTM and I can get stuck in. 

uds1.thumb.jpg.8c86ad91b6deb30bbb35965b0bc5b28a.jpg

I think it’s the Ultimate Drum UDS has air intakes that go clean se to the basket but not underneath.

E985AB76-6F83-4284-B4BC-D4B488585763.thumb.png.16850646ef42c9e48d4b737468b01645.png

They have an inner skin  called a heat reflector, that sends heat upwards instead of outwards to the barrel. More economical?

But the point is the air inlets do not go under the Charcoal Basket, plus if you have a Basket with a Ash Catcher underneath you would not be able to extend the air intakes anyway.

2 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

But the point is the air inlets do not go under the Charcoal Basket, plus if you have a Basket with a Ash Catcher underneath you would not be able to extend the air intakes anyway. 

Good point Steve...like the heat deflector idea.   

Ice.

You will not need the air intakes to run underneath the fire basket as for most of the time you are cooking you will be wanting to restrict air to the coals - not feed it. raising the fire basket on legs off the base of the drum will have the same effect and gives space for the ash to fall. Tubes with holes running under the fire basket will also probably clog with ash and will be a pain to clean.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Started getting things together for my next UDS build.

Laser cut from 1mm Steel.

F23BA62D-A007-4B64-AAEF-72A073699A6E.thumb.jpeg.6ee89496b0e7ce1db4c8ee65635cb757.jpeg

Will be attached to the front similar to this.

5B423CFC-9853-4CBA-848B-87107065A9A7.jpeg.78f6a6e627babff1044abacb186e70da.jpeg

Had a similar idea for both my UDS and Rosie's pot belly stove. 1mm steel... it looks like Stainless???  yes??   Most of what I need arrived yesterday,  the fittings came from JTM.  

We're off to collect the drum this morning,  can't do much this weekend as we're at the campsite,  just thinking about a paint job.  I already have high temp primer so next week I'll maybe bang a coat on, don't want any rust worm getting hold.  ?

Ice.