2nd Round.

Icefever

• 3 weeks later...

Because of work, this 2nd batch was in the bags for 12 days,  got them out on Wed,  washed and dried and back in the fridge.  Set too yesterday afternoon and put all of it through the slicer, finished up with three plates of what we think is brilliant bacon. 

Top left is the brown sugar cure,  top right is S & P...and the bottom had bay leaves in the bag.  Later today they will be vac packed some will stay in the fridge, others will go into the freezer.

Ice.

20181005_170537.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just got some back and streaky to do, but getting confused with the packets of what when..

@Wade, I have lost the instructions. What am  supposed to do between bacon cure packet, cure no 2 packet and pepper seasoning mix.

I have 1.202 kg of loin and 1.13 kg of belly to cure.

20181019_104657.thumb.jpg.8032cf026c9cc98f4b9aff55b67b941f.jpg

Snap...we went to Booker yesterday and bought a whole loin to cure, then we'll have both to choose from.  Also 6x 2" ribeyes,  we had 2 last night and will be taking the other 4 over to a friend's house later today for the evening meal. I talked him into buying a wancel the other day and he wants a cooking lesson, so I said  I'll buy the meat you do the rest. 

Wade should be along later if not I still have the paperwork I could email you a copy if needed. 

Ice.

17 hours ago, Justin said:

@Wade, I have lost the instructions. What am  supposed to do between bacon cure packet, cure no 2 packet and pepper seasoning mix.

If you are making bacon then put the Cure#2 to one side as you will not need it.

The Dry Cure Mix for Bacon is used at a rate of 25 g per Kg of meat. Therefore you will need 

• Loin - 25 x 1.202  = 30.1 g Dry Cure Mix
  • Belly - 25 x 1.13 = 28.3 g Dry Cure Mix

Before adding the cure to the meats, mix 25 g of the Pepper Seasoning to each batch of cure*

* Your original instructions may say add 12 g however the seasoning is all a matter of personal taste.

I will send you a copy of the instructions. :thumb1:

• Like 1

Yesterday we got 2 large pieces of back, vac-packed and in the fridge. They worked out as 2045 grams and the 2nd one was 2254 grams.  This time we stuck to a sweet cure and a pepper one...but we have an idea for a couple of interesting ones....Will tell later. ?

Ice.

That is such a shame.

Don't know the cardboard box set up. But I always light the maze with the tealight indoors and when it has caught take it out my ProQ. I know some people go for the quicker method and use one of those kitchen torch blowers to get it going before putting it into the unit being used.

Yes good advice. It was early and horse has bolted now. I am now thinking the wsm i can put maze at bottom of that in carchoal basket and water bowl acts as baffle. That should work. Anyone tried that? 

Shame the bacon is lost.    Oh well. Look forward not back.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I am now thinking the wsm i can put maze at bottom of that in carchoal basket and water bowl acts as baffle. That should work. Anyone tried that? 

Yes, that is the standard way of cold smoking in a bullet smoker. You can even put ice in the water tray if it is a warm day - though at the moment that should not be a problem.

3 hours ago, Justin said:

I am now thinking the wsm i can put maze at bottom of that in carchoal basket and water bowl acts as baffle. That should work. Anyone tried that? 

Shame the bacon is lost.    Oh well. Look forward not back.

So sorry to hear this mate, but as you say look forward not back. I've used my Brinkman with the water bath,  so yes it does work.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Justin said:

Disaster. Early morning set up must gave put the tealight in slightly wrong place and burnt the whole thing down. Ruined. All in the bin.....bacon covered in burnt cardboard and stinking.   Oh well. I am off to pub. Sod it. 

I didn't read this before I replied earlier - I am sorry to hear about the disaster. Don't throw the bacon away though - wash it under plenty of running water and the smell should go. You never know - you might have just discovered the new trend flavour for smoking bacon - cardboard box. :thumb1:

• Thanks 1