What do I really need? Which smoker? Any other basic kit?

Sarah Duffy

Ok so I have no problem with drum smokers which I’ve always used or kettle style (which I no longer have). 

I really want to start trying meat joints though. So bullet style? But I’m seeing prices ranging from 40 to 1000. Could probably look to spend up to £100 if it means we’re getting a much better piece of kit than £40. 

Looking at the Callow that Wade reviewed but wondering if it’ll be too small? I guess two layers would mean I can put two joints in at once.

The other thing is, we’ve spent pretty much the whole of summer holidays camping. Got a little £10 smoker which actually does ok but ended up mostly hob cooking as I can’t fit a bigger barbe in the car and the mini one just didn’t take enough. So I guess I need something small that I can easily transport but also that’s big enough to actually cook reasonable amounts or joints. 

Then.. with a bullet style, can I still ramp up the heat if I fancy making up some Patties and kebabs? 

Last question, i assume I can leave it going while it’s pelting down but just take more care with temp control?

Sorry, newbie and not a damn clue ?

Edited by Sarah Duffy

Weber smokey mountain. I have the small one and that easily fits in car. Easy enough to remove the water bowl and grill i guess. But i mostly find the kettle is more versatile as can smoke. Skillet, grill, and looking at Wades thread on cold smoking with kettle, even cold smoke.  Of  course I am a Weber fan. Good time to get a deal as garden centres clear there summer warehouse. Keep eye out.

Smokey mountain may be out of budget at the moment. Whatever I go for will need to be left out in the elements at the moment! Garage has been converted, old sheds ripped down so until the garden is finished next year I won’t have my BBQ shack or a garage to store it in. I guess if it’s small it can be kept in the dining room or something. 

I leave them outside. With covers on. They are rock solid. No rust what so ever. That is one of the reasons for budget. Rock solid construction.   I got mine on garden centre last November at half price sale. Best deal I had all year. Just keep eyes peeled over next few months. If I spot a deal I will let you know

1 minute ago, Justin said:

I leave them outside. With covers on. They are rock solid. No rust what so ever. That is one of the reasons for budget. Rock solid construction.   I got mine on garden centre last November at half price sale. Best deal I had all year. Just keep eyes peeled over next few months. If I spot a deal I will let you know

Ah that would be great, thank you! Would like to get to grips with something before Xmas! 

2 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

Unfortunately I’ve not sussed what to bring camping . The irony is you have the time when camping to use a smoker properly.  But not enough room to take the blooming thing lol 

Yep! Exactly this. I’ve really missed bbq while we’ve been away. Not the same when you pan fry it! Thinking a bullet style would be easier to cart around. Got another week away In October with friends and it would make t much easier to cook for all

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

You got to start somewhere. If you can then go for it

Yes... I think sous vide first as that will be used a lot. Ill take a bit more time with choosing a smoker but would like something before our next camping trip in October. We’re meeting with some friends who happily live off crisps, hot dogs and burgers while camping. Our last trip ended up with me cooking for all 9 of us every day. (They fed me whiskey in payment so all good) but smoker and sous vide will certainly reduce my hours of prep and standing over multiple stoves!