Turkey & Tinsel Weekend.

sotv

Just putting an idea out there and see what people think.

For a few years now we have stayed at a few Parkdean Park Holidays mainly Trecco bay in Wales, but plenty of other of these sort of sites around the country. They are static caravan sites with modern caravans 2-3 bedroom with heating and double glazing etc and decent clubhouses on site for the night time.

I was thinking maybe if enough people were interested look into organising a turkey and tinsel weekend on the sites last weekend of the year (too late for this year most likely) but maybe next year at a site that could accommodate this sort of thing..

The Trecco bay site just for an example, this year's last weekend is 23-25 November and caravans can be hired for £89  for 3 nights in total for the caravan doesn't matter if it is whether it is just for yourself or up to 6 people, the cost is the same.  If enough people were interested, they may be willing to book a group of caravans together, with some outdoor space for the cooking close by. It would have to be at the end of the season, I would have thought as they are rammed throughout most of the year.

The reason for Tinsel and Turkey  idea maybe have a xmas themed cooking weekend. Things like turkey, hams, porchetta or three bird roasts you know the sort of xmas things and maybe some cold smoking as well. Winter cooking interests me but never really tried it and just gaining some knowledge of how to maintain temps in inclement weather etc from the more seasoned all the year round smokers would be very helpful.. 

I realise the weather could and probably would be the main problem for a weekend at that time of year along with daylight hours (just over 8 hours) but if it was to be organised, would any hardy folks out there be interested? or is it a bit of a non-starter.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

We've been to a couple of the Parkdean camps and as you say the vans are ok.  Plenty of room in them, your idea could have legs, we've been talking of being really crazy this chrimbo and cooking on the bbq just for the hell of it.  If you could sort out any info if not for this chrimbo, then next for sure,  we would be up for it. 

Ice.

• Like 1

At the moment my original idea for a static caravan park site in November is appearing unlikely to happen as most of them will be closing at the end of October after Half Term.

I have spoken to a lady at this small Log Cabin Lodge site that we can hire a minimum of 3-5 lodges for £190 each on the weekend of 16th November -18th November.Each lodge has 2 bedrooms, centrally heated with fridge, bathroom etc. They are more than willing to accommodate us and all the BBQ'ing and smoking we want to do and although the council haven't allowed them to install outdoor lighting, the log cabin lights and spot lamps on the outside would more than adequately suit our needs and there is a big seating area outside for everybody to eat their food that has been cooked, weather permitting along with firepits.

If you wanted to book a lodge for yourself and family obviously that would be the cost for yourself/selves if you were willing to share with 1 other person then you could halve the cost and if a single man/woman you could share with a group of the same sex as each lodge sleeps 4-5 and would reduce the cost further.

The site is situated between Shrewsbury and Welshpool deep in the countryside and is about 20 miles off the M54 which is accessible for most people off the M6 around the Wolverhampton Junction, to give people an idea of where it is.

I was originally thinking of next year, due to the short period of time available between now and November 16th. But if their is enough interest to fill at least 3 lodges from people here at these prices and venue we can get it organised for this year perhaps?

This is the site https://www.longmountaincentre.co.uk/our-cabins.html where you can find further details.

If you are interested in this year let post you interest in this thread and whether you would want 

A lodge to yourself £190

A private room to yourself but willing to share a lodge £95 per room

just a bed and don't care who you are in with 4 people per lodge £47.50 each

As I say this is all a bit short notice and we can't get the number or interest in such a short space of time, I will be happy to sort something out next year or if someone else wanted to organise something this year that may appeal to more people and better value, then I am happy to step back and them come forward.

I like the idea of a xmas themed cooking weekend perhaps along with learning how to cook in the cold and even a xmas meal and maybe some cold smoking on the Friday night, so people can take some bacon, cheese or salmon etc back with them who don't have that facility back at home, but would like to try some for their xmas day platter before investing in the equipment themselves. etc Obviously they would need to cure what they wanted before the weekend so it could be cold smoked for them on the Friday night, if that makes sense.

Anyway I will leave it up to yourselves what you want to do or if other people have a better suggestion, please post also

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Good plan. I am interested. Static or my own bivvy matters not to me. I can share with whoever or go solo. Flexible.   I like the idea. A smoked salmon class by Wade. A selection of peeps can do cures before hand and I can do sous vide Christmas puddings. We can take Vacs and seal up for take aways. Christmas presents for everyone. Do a turkey rotisserie for Sat Christmas dinner. Do smoked duck etc. I am in for it. Hope we get numbers. Thanks for making enquiries 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

Good plan. I am interested. Static or my own bivvy matters not to me. I can share with whoever or go solo. Flexible.   I like the idea. A smoked salmon class by Wade. A selection of peeps can do cures before hand and I can do sous vide Christmas puddings. We can take Vacs and seal up for take aways. Christmas presents for everyone. Do a turkey rotisserie for Sat Christmas dinner. Do smoked duck etc. I am in for it. Hope we get numbers. Thanks for making enquiries 

Like the sound of that 

17 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Looks like a great site as well.

It doesn't have to be that weekend, they have many free weekends in November and December, that can be used and the prices are the same. It is all fluid at the moment and ideas.

If we can get agreement on a definite date and enough in numbers by the September 30th then perhaps look to go forward with it this year, if not sort something out for the following year. Just use this thread to finalise or discuss alternatives for it one way or another?

Edited by sotv

Just now, Sarah Duffy said:

We’d probably be up for that! I’ve been trying to persuade Byron to go camping for end of season but he’s not having it. Caravan or cabin sounds fine. (He’s one of those who wear jumpers when it’s 26 out)

Could potentially rope the mother into it too. She does some stunning marinades and perhaps some German dishes.   

• Like 2

Been there. Done that. Not going back! Lets hope it comes together as should be a good event before winter bites.

Good opportunity to get some smoked things done tasted packed and shared for Christmas. A good learning practical experience too. Plus of course bit of booze and cheeky chat again.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1