Andrew James 8.5ltr Sous Vide Bath

Brinkman

And here we are with a very quick review of the Andrew James 8.5ltr Sous Vide Bath. It looks nice on the kitchen unit! The good lady likes the look of it in her kitchen. Does it work? Well I did say this was a quick review so I'll make it just that.

Good points - Is the temp probe accurate? Yes it is, very. 

Does it cook - Yes it does

Is it easy to clean - Yes

Is it large enough - Yes for two/four people. 

Bad points - The C/F does not work? It only gives celsius, not a problem more of a niggle.

Is it easy to set - Well I've not found it so. The need to hit set/start more than once in a set sequence is very annoying.

What happens if you don't push set/start in the correct sequence - Nothing, nothing at all! No cooking, nowt and you don't know until the temp drops below what you set!

Timer - Rubbish, utter rubbish! Why would you fit a timer that sets in 30 minute blocks? What if I want food that only takes 13 minutes and I don't have a separate timer?

Preset - Why the hell can you not set it to come on at a preset time? It has a timer for heavens sake! How much would it have cost to fit one that has a preset facility in it??

Is it worth £65.00 - Yes because it does work and it does cook as it says it will but it just doesn't do it as easily as this user thinks it should.

• Like 2

Not sure a preset timer will help because you have wait for water to come to temp before putting bag In?

30 min timer. Yes that is poor but the beauty of sous vide is the flexibilty ie 1 hour 2 hours etc makes no difference 9n most dishes

Edited by Justin

28 minutes ago, Justin said:

Not sure a present timer will help because you have wait for water to come to temp before putting bag In?

30 min timer. Yes that is poor but the beauty of sous vide is the flexibilty ie 1 hour 2 hours etc makes no difference 9n most dishes

Hi Justin It does have a timer that, once it reaches the temp you have set, beeps three times to let you know its ready for the food to go in. Thats not the issue for me, its the fiddly way and the amount of times, you have to press the start stop button to get it started cooking once you hear the three beeps! Again I have to ask why did they not just use a green LED that informs you its now cooking? I'm just about to, nip across to the correct forum to give a rundown on how it cooked the salmon. Watch that space... 

Things have gone from bad to worse! The uint failed, well the temperature setting side of it failed and so it has been boxed up and returned from whence it came. The supplier has apologised profusely and has arranged a new replacement to arrive on Wednesday where it will be unpacked and set up and instantly tested at 85c with some Jersey Royals to establish that it works faultlessly otherwise a full refund will be given and I'll search for a unit that does work out of the box as it is supposed to do!!☹️

Don't agree Justin...our sous vide is now 4 years old and never let us down at all. 

23 minutes ago, Justin said:

I worry if it is cheap then there is a reason why. 

Does that mean you never buy anything that is cheap???  a poll last week showed a   "Range Rover Sport diesel emerged as one of the worst performers with 60 per cent of vehicles suffering issues."  

What's the price of one??  £70,000??  The unit Brinkman had maybe just one in 1000 that was faulty from the start.

• Sad 1

Well I'm still awaiting delivery of the replacement unit, just got a text to say it will be delivered on Thursday now, nothing to do with the supplier more tardiness from DPD it would seem. Anyway, the testing remains the same and it did occur to me that the first issue I had with setting the temp was maybe a warning that there was an issue and the temp of the salmon could have been due to the fault? Whatever the reason if this unit fails to operate 100% correctly then it will be a refund and I'll go down the wand route along with Harry Potter and the rest of his sous vide crowd up there at 'Hogwarts'??‍♂️ 

I do have a dislike of DPD....if I'm looking to buy an item I check to find out which parcel delivery company is used.  I will look elsewhere if it's DPD,  If we miss a delivery by DPD we have to collect from their depot which is a round trip of 80 miles for us.  We have a great team in our local post office,  David our postman goes out of his way to sort out any problems,  the guy who does the larger deliveries if we are out will take it to the post office so we can pick it up later. 

3 hours ago, Icefever said:

I do have a dislike of DPD....if I'm looking to buy an item I check to find out which parcel delivery company is used.  I will look elsewhere if it's DPD,  If we miss a delivery by DPD we have to collect from their depot which is a round trip of 80 miles for us.  We have a great team in our local post office,  David our postman goes out of his way to sort out any problems,  the guy who does the larger deliveries if we are out will take it to the post office so we can pick it up later. 

Well I take it all back! I'm not a fan of DPD, normally, but they turned up at 0830 this very day (Wednesday) and I am, at this very moment, testing the replacement and the testing will go on for a good few hours to establish that this unit works as it should. I'm starting with the infamous 'poached eggs' moving on to root veg. All of the selected need to be cooked for an hour or more at 85c or above! If it survives that then it will receive the memsahibs seal of approval!! Though she's not a happy bunny having her kitchen turned into a lab, but she does understand....

• Haha 1

Wednesday 1045hrs: Oh dear oh dear oh dear. The replacement unit never even made it to the 'poached egg' test!? It was set at 75c and beeped at 63c to say it was ready to cook, but when I then tested to see what the actual temperature was it turned out to be 58c Unacceptable Mr James! Dangerous Mr James!! I'm returning it Mr James.?Thank you for the refund Mr James...

So watch out Harry Potter, I'm coming for you're wand pal.??‍♂️

• Like 1

Hmmm there it is then.  At least you now know.  Lots of wand potions or a more reliable make of bath. I say again wand gives you options on big or small container.  I vary between stock pot or wand depending on what I am cooking,  Container is good for pots like creme caramels, creme brulees, rice pudding etc.  

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

Hmmm there it is then.  At least you now know.  Lots of wand potions or a more reliable make of bath. I say again wand gives you options on big or small container.  I vary between stock pot or wand depending on what I am cooking,  Container is good for pots like creme caramels, creme brulees, rice pudding etc.  

Its a great shame because the unit looked great but tummy upsets or worse are not my thing and I certainly don't care to pay for the privilege of having one!! Andrew James were very good, no arguments and they asked me to email the video of the test over to them so they can use it with their supplier as proof that there are, indeed, issues. AJ have issued, or will, a full refund and have apologised. My concern is how many other buyers who don't have the equipment to test and obtain correct results are using this unit thinking all is well? Very worrying. Ah well off to have a look at the Wanacle as I found one on E-Bay for just £64.20 inc p&p

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin said:

Do research other models. 

Justin I'm all researched out mate! I've looked at every make and model of wand out there and the same goes for baths. I've settled on the Wanacle because a couple of people on this here forum give it the thumbs up? Lets hope it turns out to be a way better experience than the Andrew James one?  

• Like 1